PDA

View Full Version : Which program should I take to be an airline pilot?

eduardo.alibert
7th Dec 2010, 02:04
Hi! My name is Eduardo I am from Venezuela, i just found this forum and I hope that any of you could possibly orient me in order to be an airline pilot.

I know maybe I am just one more asking for help about this, but I am really concern in what to do. Here is my situtation I`m 24 years old I`m actually living in Venezuela, but actually getting my canadian residence. I`ve always wanted to be an airline pilot, when I got my high school degree my father told me to make an other degree before getting in an ATPL program, the fact is that in Venezuela the aviation business.
Now that i hope get the Canadian residence I`ll try to follow my dream, but i have some questions:

Should I study in Canada or USA? I`ve heard in USA there is some fast track programs in schools like ATP or Flight Safety in which you can get even the CPL license, but I`ve also heard that the canadian education is better, but the almost of the courses are of 2 years.
What kind of program should I follow?I also have readed that some airlines have Ab pilot initio program or cadet programs, I don`t know if Air Canada or West Jet have one.
Am I too old? For the moment to start my way to become a pilot I will be 25 or 26 and I know I will have to reach many many flying hours before my dream I possibly can reach my dream of being in a major airline, like Air Canada, where i`d love to work, but i don`t know the best way to make it happen.
Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Jerry Lee
7th Dec 2010, 10:19
Hi Eduardo,
I do not know perfectly the situation in Canada or in USA, but I can say for sure that you are not old!
According to me the best way to go is the modular, it is cheaper and you will get the same piece of paper that has a student that attended ATP or other schools like this one.
When you will have finished your training you have to find your first job in general aviation or you can become a flight instructor whilst looking for a job in regional careers.