PDA

View Full Version : ELC support for flying licences

BEagle
7th Dec 2010, 08:44
Herewith the latest statement from AP3379 Leaflet 2511:

INTRODUCTION
1. This guidance leaflet aims to clarify the policy regarding the use of Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) for Royal Air Force personnel to gain a Private Pilot’s Licence (PPL) or National Private Pilot’s Licence (NPPL). It also clarifies the use of ELCs for Instructor Rating and Airline Transport Pilot’s Licence (ATPL).

PPL/NPPL
2. All RAF personnel are deemed to benefit from the increase in air-mindedness and air awareness that the PPL/NPPL affords. To that end, all components of the PPL and NPPL are eligible for ELC support for all RAF personnel since the licence is well above Level 3 on the NQF. However, under the current rules, an individual is not permitted to use both ELC and SLC for the PPL.

INSTRUCTOR RATING
3. Ex-Serving personnel or those in resettlement are eligible to use ELCs towards gaining an Instructor Rating. If a claimant who is not yet in their resettlement period can clearly demonstrate the direct benefit to Service, then the use of ELCs for Instructor Ratings may be allowed. Applications will be reviewed on a case by case basis. For instance, this may be allowed if the Service person intends to instruct, unpaid, on an RAF Flying Club and where there is an urgent requirement for Flying Instructors. Further, the claimant must be able to clearly demonstrate a historical dedication to voluntary flying duties such as flying Air Training Corps cadets / Air Experience Flights.

ATPL
4. The ATPL is a Civilian Aviation Authority accredited qualification. Military Pilots and Weapons Systems Officers (WSO) who undertake the ATPL and sit the CAA examinations are increasing their knowledge of civilian aviation procedures, thereby developing themselves both personally and professionally. The knowledge gained engenders mutual understanding and increases safety by giving a better understanding of alternative techniques. To that end, there is a clear benefit to the Service and, as such, military Pilots and WSOs may use ELCs to fund the ATPL.

Chris Griffin
7th Dec 2010, 08:54
Good find. Will hopefully put a fair few minds at rest. Thanks.

iRaven
7th Dec 2010, 20:48
ATPL
4. The ATPL is a Civilian Aviation Authority accredited qualification. Military Pilots and Weapons Systems Officers (WSO) who undertake the ATPL and sit the CAA examinations are increasing their knowledge of civilian aviation procedures, thereby developing themselves both personally and professionally. The knowledge gained engenders mutual understanding and increases safety by giving a better understanding of alternative techniques. To that end, there is a clear benefit to the Service and, as such, military Pilots and WSOs may use ELCs to fund the ATPL.

BEagle, pretty sh!te for Weapon System Operators (WSOp) then! :ugh:

I guess Amendment 1 will be out shortly?

iRaven

SammySu
7th Dec 2010, 20:57
The ELC for ATPLs issue was posed to AOC 1 Gp in a crewroom recently, he was unaware of the confusion over changed 22GP policy. He promised to sort it.
It has not taken long to get clarification in a positive sense into print.

For once a relatively senior officer who listened, and took action on behalf of his team.
Thankyou sir.

explorer99
7th Dec 2010, 22:47
Top tip, folks:

If you want a quick and accurate answer regarding ELCs / SLCs and what they can or can't be used for, ask your station education or resettlement people rather than wait to confuse a 2*.

I did precisely that 5 years ago and straight away got confirmation that I could use one of my ELCs to fund 80% of my ATPL theory studies. I got great support and advice from the education & resettlement ladies; after all, it's their job and they're the experts. Use them! More pertinently, perhaps, they have no other agenda than to help you get the education you want. The ELC process will seem a bit baffling at first (Personal Development Plans etc) but with advice and careful consideration it isn't that daunting - it just reduces to a series of hoops to jump through that will save you £££.

Another top tip: when it comes to doing the ATPL exams (the full CAA exams, that is, not the Bridging element) you will have to pay for each exam. Check with the education folks again, as I was able to use my Standard Learning Credits to fund 80% of each exam fee. The only potential gotcha is that you have to make sure that you apply to use the SLC (and have it approved) in advance of actually sitting the exam.

I was also very impressed by the turnround time for ELC formal approval via ELCAS - about 2 days in my case for ATPL study.

Good luck!

E99

Kengineer-130
8th Dec 2010, 01:30
Well, I wish this was the case 5 years ago, when I asked my unit Ed O & civillian education staff if I could use my ELC's for a PPL, and got told no as it was of no benefit to the RAF :ugh:.. I paid for it myself and have just re-validated, and yet again got told I could not claim ELC's to fund the revalidation.

Wonder if they would back date it?

BEagle
8th Dec 2010, 07:03
iRaven, this point has been noted and an amendment has been requested.

explorer99
8th Dec 2010, 16:57
Thanks for those "top tips"...both completely wrong!

CM - apols for being obviously slightly out-of-date, but when I used my ELC both tips were RIGHT. If 22Gp issued incorrect and contradictory advice after that, then a) it wouldn't surprise me and b) as a civ commercial pilot these days (thanks to my ELC) I wouldn't know! So, that aside, both tips now seem to be right (again).

I suggest ... seeing the learning advisors for the correct gen on exam funding.

That was one of my tips, wasn't it? :ok:

Kengineer-130: My ELC went towards ATPL theory rather than a private license; perhaps that was the difference. The stated aim on my ELC application was very similar to the 'personal & professional development' blurb on the new leaflet - I just didn't specify which profession...

E99

iRaven
8th Dec 2010, 19:45
iRaven, this point has been noted and an amendment has been requested.

BEagle

Thank you Sir, you are a Gent! :ok:

iRaven

CrabInCab
17th Feb 2011, 09:34
Been trying to apply for ELC for an ATPL(A) at my TDC today but the decidedly unhelpful lady in there is adamant that irrespective of what is stated in AP3379 Leaflet 2511 that as a QSP(H) I'm only entitled to claim ELC against an ATPL(H) not ATPL(A).

Anyone else had this problem? Or better has any QSP(H) got ELC support for ATPL(A) thereby setting a precedent?

:ugh:

Winchweight
17th Feb 2011, 09:46
Question about ELCs once you-ve left -

I PVR'd and walked, with my exit date being Christmas Day 2010!

Can I still use my ELCs and complete a PPL / NPPL or does that rule only apply to serving personnel?

Could I use them at an overseas school?

minimad
17th Feb 2011, 15:56
Ive tried getting ELC to fund my ATPL'S but no hope! Im in the Army not RAF and have a ppl. My plan is to do the Army pilots course. My education centre didn't think it was beneficial to the service!

ten yards
17th Feb 2011, 17:52
Brize Norton flying club supports PPL via ELC for all ranks all trades. It has the full support of the Brize personal learning advisor (PLA). PM me for more details.

I'm Off!
17th Feb 2011, 18:24
I'm a QSP(H) and used SLC and ELC for ATPL(A) when I left in 2008, with few problems experienced. If anyone wants further info PM me, but I suspect they have moved the goalposts recently.

Talk Reaction
17th Feb 2011, 18:30
Crab, the justification for using ELC for ATPL is that the knowledge of how civvies operate is beneficial to a service pilot, I don't thin it's down to your learning advisor to decide! I would imagine that as a rotary mate, you'd be broadening your knowledge even more. Don't give in.

Winghweight, yes you can use ELC after leaving, up to 10 years I think! Although I'd get them in before things change. Not sure about overseas providers, it's about your training and qualification so it shouldn't make any difference as long as the result is the same, but I couldn't be certain.

Minimad, as I mentioned above, the use to the service is the broadening of knowledge to service pilots, although perhaps in the past someone has used them to qualify from scratch with a carefully worded case. Surprised though that on one hand you're thinking about using ELC to gain an ATPL (thinking of leaving?) and yet on the other hand you may 'just do your pilots cse'.......... I would say you need to consider if you have the focus to get through a pilots cse.... Just an observation, I clearly don't have your whole story.

late-joiner
17th Feb 2011, 19:39
Winchweight. Have a look at the elcas website if you have not already done so. No problem in principle with an overseas provider. But that provider would have to be registered with the MOD/ELCAS and meet their conditions. The website says it can take 4 months to process a providers application to become registered.

I used x2 chunks of ELC to complete a PPL at Lyneham starting one month before I left the Army and taking 9 months across a financial year break to get the second chunk of money.

Winchweight
18th Feb 2011, 06:01
Wilco, thanks chaps

appleavi8or
18th Feb 2011, 11:57
I am getting all possible assistance from ELCAS short of actual help in trying to find an Approved Provider who can help me revalidate an expired CPL(A) or gain an AFI rating.

Can anyone give me a steer please?

BEagle
18th Feb 2011, 12:40
Yes, try On-Track Aviation at Wellesbourne Mountford Instructor | Examiner | Commercial Pilot Licence| Seaplane | Full and Part-Time courses (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/) . Particularly knowledgeable when it comes to queries from military personnel, which is why I suggest that you should give them a call.

They are also able to provide part-time FI training to suit individual needs and they have an excellent reputation. Wellesbourne Mountford is a nice little aerodrome near Stratford-on-Avon (for the geographically challenged!).

Incidentally, I have no personal association with the company; this isn't advertising, it's putting military folks in touch with an ELC provider.

artyhug
18th Feb 2011, 13:20
Or you could go really left field and Google ELCAS and then follow the link to their learning provider search tool. Just a thought...

Enhanced Learning for the Armed Forces (http://www.modelc.com/net/ProviderSearch.aspx)

appleavi8or
18th Feb 2011, 13:40
Thanks artyhug. I hadn't thought of that (I'm an ex-Gunner so not very bright).

Actually, they are the problem as they do not have a consolidated list which can be accessed. Funnily enough, Wellesbourne-Mountford doesn't feature on the searches I have conducted.

artyhug
18th Feb 2011, 13:59
Well they do have what now seems to be the standard don't blame us if it goes wrong Public Sector disclaimer, vice;

Disclaimer
Please be aware that Learning Providers are responsible for uploading their own courses titles to this website. Please be aware that on occasion there may be courses listed which are not eligible for ELC/PF FE HE funding. This search engine is an indicative search only and you will require the appropriate authorisation for your claim and chosen course. If you do come across a course listed which is not eligible for funding please inform ELCAS who will investigate this and will arrange for the removal of any ineligible course.

But when I searched under CPL in the Course Title field then On-Track Aviation Limited popped up. Put their Provider ID (1927) in the advanced search and hey presto more options than you can shake a stick at, and a sh1tty one at that...

Alex Whittingham
24th Feb 2011, 08:12
WRT CrabInCab's post earlierBeen trying to apply for ELC for an ATPL(A) at my TDC today but the decidedly unhelpful lady in there is adamant that irrespective of what is stated in AP3379 Leaflet 2511 that as a QSP(H) I'm only entitled to claim ELC against an ATPL(H) not ATPL(A).

Anyone else had this problem? Or better has any QSP(H) got ELC support for ATPL(A) thereby setting a precedent?

I understand this has now been resolved with 22Gp and the restriction has been removed.