PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Blue - No Christmas cheer for you

The The
6th Dec 2010, 00:40
Well if you believe talkback radio:

Appears there is an internal email doing the rounds that the big man has directed staff not to display certain Christmas decorations as it may offend those from other cultures.

Political correctness gone mad? Again?

Capt Claret
6th Dec 2010, 00:55
I heard last xmas day that staff at the Big Q received a similar message about xmas bling when signing on.

The story was told after a certain driver pulled up on the aerobridge, resplendent in full Santa Suit, and the bridge driver near fell off laughing. :E

Hugh Jarse
6th Dec 2010, 01:59
Virgin Blue - No Christmas cheer for you*cough - cough*

BOLLOX

Nothing in my inbox. Yet. No FCON's, apart from the one explaining Christmas events being held at the outports.

And the Chrissy decs are going up in T2 (YSSY) as we speak (write?)

At least talkback media maintains its consistent reputation :}

SilverSleuth
6th Dec 2010, 02:17
Hugh Jarse says"

Appears there is an internal email doing the rounds that the big man has directed staff not to display certain Christmas decorations as it may offend those from other cultures.

What a load of horse Sh*t !!!!
APPEARS Completely made up like your creditability and made up source.

YPJT
6th Dec 2010, 02:23
Every year, talk back radio and other journalist hacks pull this little rabbit out of the hat to stir up a bit of racial hysteria. It is quite rare indeed though to have any of these instances being backed up with individual's names who have alegedly made the direction.
My islamic mates in many ways enjoy Christmas just as much as I have enjoyed participating in their Eid celebrations.

The Green Goblin
6th Dec 2010, 02:31
If someone says to me happy holidays or similar, I make a point of replying MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Skynews
6th Dec 2010, 02:36
happy holidays GG

The The
6th Dec 2010, 02:51
Don't shoot the messenger - Ask Ray, he says he's got a copy of the email!

It was on 2GB this morning and follows on from a similar Centrelink Christmas decoration email story last week (which was true by the way).

Someone sent the Virgin email to 2GB, it was not authored by JB but referred to a direction from him. 2GB then asked Virgin Blue to comment, Virgin said it was an "error", the email was being withdrawn, the author counselled, and the Chrissy decorations were going up (but maybe just taking it easy on the nativity scenes) :ugh:

Yep, a story about nothing, but I'm bored of reading wiki-leaks.

And in other exciting breaking news from the far right.

Qantas' safety reputation is again under a cloud (of smoke?) today after the catering building was evacuated following the detection of acrid fumes (is that an oxymoron). 14 people were taken to hospital suffering respiratory difficulties (and high cholesterol).

Such a big news day!!!!

Capn Bloggs
6th Dec 2010, 06:43
SilverSleuth,
Quote:
Hugh Jarse says"

What a load of horse Sh*t !!!!
APPEARS Completely made up like your creditability and made up source.

I doubt whether Jarse'll be sending you a Christmas card this year!

aulglarse
6th Dec 2010, 07:14
"Enjoy the festive season" is the usual PA made to my pax approaching this time of the year. It's been a few years since "Merry Christmas" was made just in case of any reprocussions, unbelievable.:ugh:

Mr.Buzzy
6th Dec 2010, 07:22
Sorry, which country are we living in again?????

Christ!!! We won't be happy 'til we give this joint away!!!!

Merry Christmas and a Happy new year all.

bbbbbbbbbbbbf&$koffbleedingheartsbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tankengine
6th Dec 2010, 07:51
I will be flying Christmas day and will be giving a "Merry Christmas" to my pax on the way to Hong Kong. If any of them object they can do so to me or my management - I don't give a ****!:E
If anyone is using "seasons greetings" because they are scared then in my opinion they are wimps.:=

The western world has gone f£$^*&* mad!:mad:

PS: I am not a christian!

Cactusjack
6th Dec 2010, 08:53
I thought displaying Xmas flair and Xmas decorations would be a Virgin 'must have' or a 'must do' ??

Ushuaia
6th Dec 2010, 09:51
If anyone is using "seasons greetings" because they are scared then in my opinion they are wimps.

Cmon, Tankengine, the same pilots obediently peer through the peep-hole these days before ducking out to splash the boots, just in case AQ, or a 8 year old child, is lurking there...... And incredibly yes, I have seen guys defer going out because of the aforementioned 8 year old being there, waiting for the dunny.

That is what we have become. :(

flying-spike
6th Dec 2010, 09:56
This PC stuff is spreading. I hear the Red Rat has put an embargo on press conferences by Leprechauns.......just to be sure, to be sure

Hugh Jarse
6th Dec 2010, 19:19
LMAO Bloggs! :}:8

To give the gentleman credit, I did write the word "talkback" somewhere in my post. The rest? Well I ain't been misquoted in such a way since I went on the Hinch program way back in 1990 :}:}

I'd already lost me job, so it didn't matter:ok:

P.S. My attitude to Christmas is unchanged. If anyone is offended by a "Merry Christmas" or a bit of bling, perhaps they would be better off to stay home and turn off the telly & radio. That's the way it is here, Christmas is part of our culture, and I doubt it'll change any time soon.:ok:
Fortunately :}

Merry Christmas everyone!

Jack Ranga
6th Dec 2010, 19:39
Good onya Jarse :ok:

Merry Christmas back at ya!

barramundi10
6th Dec 2010, 19:41
if that email is partly true, clearly it was not sent out in fear to offend other individuals!! As I am a Muslim and enjoy Christmas celebrations just as any other christen does. I go to church with my friends an we buy each other gifts and have a halal Christmas lunch. so I as non Christen would be offended if I had received such email.

History tells me Ray and our fellow heroes at 2gb are on it again. indirectly stirring racial discrimination and hate!!!!

Merry Christmas all and God bless you.

frigatebird
6th Dec 2010, 20:04
If Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Indonesia, among others, consider themselves designated Muslim countries - then in the fairness of balance in the global Village, and based on our traditions and culture of the past couple of hundred years, Australia can rightly be considered, -and adopt and continue to promote itself openly in future as a CHRISTIAN Country. (IMHO - humbly, - of course.. )

Bloody religion, why do the fanatics make such a big fuss....

theheadmaster
6th Dec 2010, 22:48
Why polarise the issue? I think we would be better off accepting ourselves as a tolerant secular society. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, joyful رمضان

Don't be afraid to wish the goodwill of your religion's festive season and don't be offended if someone of a differing religious faith wishes you the compliments of theirs.

domaus
6th Dec 2010, 23:40
theheadmaster

I think the point is that we find ourselves bending over for other cultures and tolerating their demands yet the 'favour' seems never returned?

theheadmaster
7th Dec 2010, 00:04
What demands must we tolerate? We are are secular society here. I believe that tolerance is a good thing. Places like Saudi Arabia are not secular societies, so yes, things are different there.

BTW, I am not Christian (or any other faith), yet I am quite happy that Christmas brings joy to those Christians around me.

Cactusjack
7th Dec 2010, 02:39
Can't wait to see all the funky Village ergonomic furniture covered in mistletoe and reindeer poo.... Perhaps JB's baubles will be everywhere also ??
Merry Must Haves and a happy new flair !

Shark Slayer
7th Dec 2010, 06:12
Be Tolerant - a fantastic plan

(From somwhere in the States...)
I am perplexed that so many of my friends are against a mosque being built near Ground Zero. I think it should be the goal of every American to be tolerant. The mosque should be allowed, in an effort topromote tolerance. That is why I also propose, that two gay nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque thereby promoting tolerance within the Mosque. We could call the clubs "The Turban Cowboy" and "You Mecca Me So Hot".

Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork and have an open barbeque with spare ribs as its daily special. Across the street a very daring lingerie store called "Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret" with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods.

Next door to the lingerie shop, there would be room for an Adult Toy Shop (Koranal Knowledge?), its name in flashing neon lights, and on the other side a liquor store, maybe call it "Morehammered"?

If you agree in promoting tolerance and you think this is a good plan, pass it on.

theheadmaster
7th Dec 2010, 06:31
Jokes aside, tolerance is a two way street. People with a cultural background different than ours need to accept that they need to embrace the values of a secular tolerant society if they settle here. Hence saying 'Merry Christmas' to anybody, regardless of background, should not be an issue. Likewise, if someone chooses to practice a religion different from the majority of their neighbours (in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, that might be Judaism), as long as they are causing no harm, we should tolerate that.

Though slightly off topic, I personally think that a mosque should be allowed to be built near 'ground zero'. Freedom of religion is a constitutional right of US citizens. The United Stated was founded on being a secular society with freedom of religion. Stopping the mosque because the towers were destroyed by Moslems is as logical as stopping a Catholic church being built next to the Oklahoma City bomb site because Timothy McVeigh used to be a practising Catholic (yes I know he stated he was agnostic later in his life).

My personal view is that polarising issues instead of being tolerant tends to lead to more radical positions being taken by each side of a debate.

HappyBandit
7th Dec 2010, 21:41
I have to agree with Jarse.....load of bullocks!!!

Look at the VB website....on the right hand corner of the homepage is a bright shiny present with flashing tinsal.

barramundi10
8th Dec 2010, 10:39
theheadmaster I like your position and views thus far, I am of similar beliefs we should respect all religions.

However I have to disagree with Shark Slayer, although what he posted isn't his words. but reading through the comment I don't see how the author proves his point against building that mosque in an intelligent discussion. (not that I object to the suggestions implied)

Just because some freak Muslims allegedly committed those crimes on 9/11. I don't understand why they so against that mosque, surely there's more nut cases in Texas they should be worrying about.

anyways a bit of topic I know

Shark Slayer
9th Dec 2010, 00:13
Well it was a joke..............however, step out in Saudi Arabia or Kuwait with an exposed crucifix............I'll give you a tenner for every 100 meters you travel in public!

assasin8
9th Dec 2010, 02:31
A "Festivus" for the rest of us? ( Thanks Seinfeld):D

Seriously though, Merry Christmas to all... and switch off the "Today Tonight", "A Current Affair" and talk back radio! You'll all be the wiser for it!!!:ok:

"... HO HO HO..."

simsalabim
9th Dec 2010, 03:19
Then how would the bogans know what to think ?

Eastwest Loco
9th Dec 2010, 13:34
Fly Emirates and at the designated times the little aeroplane appears on the screens pointing to Mecca so the faithful can bang their heads on the tray table the required number of times.

I have flown out of Nadi on FJ with the Fiji Rugby team on way to the HKG 7's and had the captain come on and call them to prayer over the PA.

All cool. Not my problem. Their aeroplanes and their customs/beliefs. Go for it.

As for Australia. Australian aeroplanes and airports - piss off.

We should do it our way and if they don't like it they can grab a bucket of wet sand and pound it up their arses.

Sorry - but this aint Saudi Australia - yet at least.

Best all

EWL

tiger19
9th Dec 2010, 21:15
Eastwest, didn't know the Fiji rugby team were Muslims (not thats theres anything wrong with that) also Seinfield:ok:

teresa green
10th Dec 2010, 10:08
If I got a note like that, I would turn up with the whole box and dice. The aircraft would look like Target on Xmas eve. If you choose to live here, then accept our customs, if you don't, bugger off. Simple. Its bad enough that you can no longer invite little kids up to the flight deck, to see if they could see Santa, (which was common practice in TAA) and now you cannot have a few decorations, as was always the custom, in fact you sat up on the flight deck wearing a santa hat or reindeer thingies, and the only thing that stopped you feeling like a goose, was the LAME who sent you off, was wearing the same thing. Wear the :mad: are we heading?

coco-nuts
10th Dec 2010, 11:58
Gooday all, we are currently flying at 35 thousand feet, another 2 hours to go and Brisvegas is looking great for our arrival............................. Finally a Very Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all of you.

Cheers

coco

The Darkness
10th Dec 2010, 21:04
Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!

Go West
11th Dec 2010, 05:01
Jingle bells is going during boarding......
:ugh:
Merry Christmas!

empire4
11th Dec 2010, 09:59
@ tiger19.

go do some reading mate, a lot of muslims in Fiji.

givemewings
12th Dec 2010, 10:57
Domaus, have you even been to the Middle East??

There's Christmas trees & lights all over the malls, just yesterday I saw an aisle full of tinsel & Christmas gear in the local Carrefour, seems the majority of Arabs in the UAE don't have a problem with it, one of them even wished me Merry Christmas, just like a few months back I was wishing them Ramadan Kareem...

Sure there are those in Oz who want Aussies to adapt and then refuse to do the same (annoys the :mad: out of me too!) But then you will also get Christians and Catholics who won't even listen to someone else explaining about their beliefs and customs. (Have you ever shared Iftar with a Muslim during Ramadan, try it, very fun!) I try to at least understand some of the things people of other religions do/say, even though I'm not religious myself.

Like they say, the world would be a much better place if we could all just get along.

Have you ever seen kindergarten kids fight over whether it's Merry Christmas or Hannukkah or Eid? Nope me either, all I usually see is the kids enjoying each other's company and learning some new things about their mates' culture & beliefs.

Yes it sucks if the Virgin email was true- however, you have to remember also that Virgin aircraft are their private property so just like any other rule the company may have (uniform policies etc) you just have to accept it. Do you have to like it? No. By all means knock yourself out wishing people Merry Christmas left right and centre on your way to/from work, if they say not on the plane, well, they did pay for it :}

Just so you know, my housemate has worn a Santa hat at EK for the last three years on flights and has never been stopped... :E

tiger19
12th Dec 2010, 20:19
Empire 4, well aware that there are muslims in Fiji mate, having had personal dealings with the Fijian rugby team in the past, like I said, never new the Fijian rugby team had Muslims in it, must be a recent thing. Not getting into a race arguement here mate, but before the game, team usually says the lords pray, Fijian, Tongan and Samoan rugby teams seem to do this, haven't seen this done in any other rugby teams in the world. but hey Empire 4, your the man

teresa green
13th Dec 2010, 01:42
Probably only muslims left in the Fiji rugby side. Anyone else who enjoys a beer has been nicked by Australian NRL, ARU clubs, give em a passport, and then stick them straight into the Wallaby or Kangaroo side. Their front rowers could pack down against a tank, and still "wedge" it over the line. Mighty fine players come out of FIJI.

D.Lamination
13th Dec 2010, 09:27
Talk about a chinese whisper (and thread creep!):

I am not a Fiji rugby team expert but have seen them play 7's.

As far as I know there are no Muslims (not that that's here nor there really) what the original poster was getting at was christian prayers in flight rather than the Emirates Islamic kind....

The Fiji rugby team is known to be quite devout and every so often they have a biblical quote on their jerseys - which due to it's length ends up being "wrap around text" on the jersey.

Fiji hero Waisale Serevi persuaded the team the following verse should be on their Jerseys a few years ago.

"Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Amazing how wikipedia can refresh one's memory...:ok: