PDA

View Full Version : European alternative of XM Sattelite weather ?

ILblog
5th Dec 2010, 21:11
Hi

I am just reading AFM of C525 with Collins Pro Line 21 avionics. In one chapter, they say, that user can have choice of either XM Weather or Universal Weather. And suprisinglly they do not deny, that Universal Weather is not avianle in Europe. Sice almost Every European pilot, who has some US flying experience would love to have XM weather in Europe, it seems to me, that this could be at least some METARs form. The plane has sat phone built in so there is a data link how data can be downloaded to plane in Europe.

Here is quotation from manual:

Universal Weather

Universal weather provides capability to display images and text information for the world by VHF datalink input (Figure 16-46). The USA NEXRAD precipitation image is the only image available as an overlay on the PLAN map.

RAV1234
8th Dec 2010, 03:09
I just wanted to post a brief clarification to your post. Universal Weather and Aviation's UVdatalink service provides worldwide weather graphics for the Pro-Line 21 system with the exception of NEXRAD only being available in the CONUS. I have provided a list below detailing the graphics available. Feel free to contact me if you have further questions.

Rick
Product Manager - UVdatalink
Universal Weather and Aviation

Graphical Weather Products:

NEXRAD (CONUS and US Regions only)
NEXRAD w/Tops and Movements (CONUS and US Regions only)
Weather Depiction (METARS)
Winds and Temps
Turbulence
Icing

World Wide Regions:
Africa
Australia
Europe
India
North America
North Atlantic
United Kingdom
South America
South Pacific
West Pacific
North Pacific
Contiguous US
CONUS (NEXRAD only)

US Regions:
Northwest
North Central
Northeast
Southwest
South Central
Southeast

ILblog
8th Dec 2010, 17:38
So those are only graphical overlays? No chance to get detailed metar from some AD?

Is the wind information connected to FMS so the ETA is wind corrected?

What are the prices of this service?

IL

RAV1234
10th Dec 2010, 14:27
I sent you a personal message with my info so that you can contact me directly to discuss this in more detail and provide pricing.

Thanks
Rick

IO540
22nd Dec 2010, 12:23
As far as I know the only way to get airborne connectivity in Europe is via a satellite phone.

There are several products which do this; most seem to use the Iridium network. The data rate on that is extremely slow but OK for tafs, metars and stuff like that.