PDA

View Full Version : EZY - Denied Boarding Question

wowzz
5th Dec 2010, 12:09
On Friday, Mrs W and I, plus 23 others were denied boarding on the ALC-STN flight, in order to ensure that the aircraft was not over-weight when landing at STN - I presume because of bad weather at STN
The decision as to which 25 pax were to be denied boarding was simply done - the last 25 in the boarding queue.
I assume the captain calculates the weight saving required by using an average weight per pax, taking into account hold luggage. My questiion is this - if the passengers already boarded were heavier than average [say 2 rugby teams were travelling] would the ground-staff inform the captain of this, thus allowing him to further increase the number of pax to be denied boarding?
Could I also say that the EZY ground staff did a pretty good job in dealing with us pax, none of whom - as one can imagine, were very happy! They did at least appear to have the authority to make independent decisions without having to refer to HO. Lets hope EZY customer services are as good in refunding our fares and paying out compensation.

SloppyJoe
5th Dec 2010, 12:44
It would have been bad weather everywhere within a large radius of stanstead to cause that. I expect the fuel required to get to an alternate was huge, would not surprise me if the alternate was portugal or spain to cause an A320 to be overweight on landing at stanstead by the weight of 25pax.

Yes if they are unusually large people you can use non standard weights, eg weighing the passengers. Weather or not the ground crew would inform the captain is another matter, good ones would, bad ones may not as would make their life harder.

Piltdown Man
5th Dec 2010, 13:00
On scheduled flights, pax weigh in at 88 kgs per male and 70 kgs per female. Actual bag weights are normally used. Whether or not rugby teams are carried, the same weights are used unless they look inappropriate. Personally, I use and average of 92 kgs per passenger and this works out about right. Doing a little bit of rounding-up, I reckon that this particular crew wanted and extra 2,500 kgs either for fuel a LDW restriction due to the (reported or the classic UK favourite, un-reported) braking action at STN.

PM

arem
5th Dec 2010, 16:38
Just a thought but was it a restriction on pax numbers due to reduced cabin crew numbers (3 verses 4 ).

Was it a 320 that was used instead of a 319 but they only had a 319's crew that was available.

Just a few thoughts!

Joao da Silva
5th Dec 2010, 18:59
wowzz

Sorry you had a disrupted flight.

EU261/2004 stipulates the compensation for denied boarding (there are no extra ordinary get out clauses for denied boarding, unlike cancelations and delays.)

A quick look at the internet suggests that the flight distance from ALC to STN is between 1516-1570km, which is significant, as there is a break point at 1500km.

easyJet have to pay you, within 7 days, any flight refunds due plus 400€ per person.

This is the wording of the particular part of the regulation

reimbursement of the cost of the ticket within seven days or a return flight to the first point of departure or re-routing to their final destination;
care (refreshments, meals, hotel accommodation, transport between the airport and place of accommodation, two free telephone calls, telex or fax messages, or e-mails);
compensation totalling:- EUR 250 for all flights of 1500 kilometres or less;
- EUR 400 for all intra-Community flights of more than 1500 kilometres, and for all other flights between 1500 and 3500 kilometres;
- EUR 600 for all other flights.
The reference link is Denied-boarding compensation system (http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/consumers/protection_of_consumers/l24173_en.htm)

Joao da Silva
5th Dec 2010, 19:36
I bet they would have rather taken the flight, though.

wowzz
6th Dec 2010, 13:03
Thanks for all the replies.
A few observations on some of the comments:

I don't think there was any particular problem with the weather at either STN or any of the likely alternate airports. The UK weather [in the SE at least] was very cold, but with no falling snow.
We were told by the ground staff that the issue was one of landing weight at STN. Of course this might not have been correct, but could have been given as the reason less likely to provoke a reaction from the off-loaded pax. [Personally I hope that this was not the case - I would prefer to have the truth]
Didn't notice the aircraft type - was a bit pre-occupied with calming Mrs W down at the time!I have to say that the more I think about it, the more confused I am about the reason given for the off-load. If there was an 'ice' problem at STN, wouldn't every other aircraft of the same type also have to off-load passengers to achieve the required MLW?

Thanks JdS for your detailed information - somehow I don't think I will get the re-imbursement and compensation [€250 or €400] within 7 days, but I live in hope.

Daysleeper - I think I would have preferred to make the trip, rather than have the compensation, but there is obviously a time when the cash 'reward' over-comes the value of the trip. This value will obviously alter for all of us. The pax behind us who was going to the UK for the week-end to take his grandson to the Chelsea match probably deserves more compensation than Mrs W and I, who were just having a break in the UK to catch up with relatives.

It will be interesting to see how quickly EZY sort out the compensation issue. I am not being too hopeful, seeing that our return trip from STN on Saturday is still showing as being booked, although ALC ground staff cancelled it on Friday

Double Hydco
6th Dec 2010, 16:47
wowzz - just a little bit of info that may help explain your offload.

ALC airport have reduced the runway length since 21 OCT to enable them to repair the threshold of Runway 10. Coupled with some obstacles (probably construction equipment) this has caused a reduction in the weight that can be lifted off Runway 28 for some aircraft types.

In light wind conditions its no problem to use the opposite direction, and take off with a tailwind, however the A319 has a 10 knot tailwind limitation for takeoff (some aircraft like, I believe, the Ryanair 737's can accept up to 15 knots!).

I suspect that Runway 28 was in use, and the wind strength precluded a takeoff from Runway 10. Last time I visited, we were about 2.5t overweight, which would equate roughly to your 23 passengers, and had to wait to takeoff with a tailwind.

Hope that helps.
DH

wowzz
6th Dec 2010, 20:13
DH
An excellent answer thanks - seems the most logical explanation to date.
Any idea how long the construction work will last ?
I'm flying out again [hopefully] on Sunday - let's hope the wind is in the right direction!

Double Hydco
6th Dec 2010, 21:06
The NOTAM for the work says 30 Dec ESTIMATED, however I understand that the obstacle that was causing the performance problems may have been removed.

Good luck, DH

groundbum
9th Dec 2010, 13:13
if you decide to pursue compensation, and it seems likely in this case you are entitled then in my experience Easyjet will try and wiggle out of it. If the runway works was indeed the cause then Easyjet could have fixed their sales computer to stop selling tickets once the plane was 80% full or whatever the limit was.

Anyways, use the online Easyjet system to immediately lodge a claim for compo including the EU money and hotels, phone calls etc. After a month don't negotiate just say you'll be lodging a small claims court claim within 7 days. After 7 days lodge the claim costs about £60 quid and do it online takes 10 mins. At this point Easyjet wakes up and tries to settle for 50% or so. Tell them 100% or see them in court. Cheque appears for 100% a few days later.

Been there done that. It's how they do customer service, reckoning enough people fall by the wayside to make all this reputational damage worth it.

G

wowzz
10th Dec 2010, 12:37
Thanks for the advice Mr G.
I immediately e-mailed EZY and followed this up today with a phone call to a very polite and apologetic lady in customer services. My request for a refund and compensation is being 'escalated', whatever than means. I do now at least have a compaint reference number to quote.
I am hoping that I will not need to use your advice, but it's good to have the information to hand.
Thanks
Wowzz

wowzz
17th Dec 2010, 20:46
Just so as to round-off this story, I wanted to say that to-day EZY refunded both our ouward and return fares, and also paid us €800 [2x€400] compensation.
I know that this is what EZY are obliged to do under EC legislation, but payment was made speedily and without any hassle.
[I also got to the UK and back this week on EZY with no problems, although I did make sure I wasn't among the last 25 to board!]
Overall I think EZY customer services did pretty well, given the work-load they must have had with the recent bad weather in the UK plus the Spanish air-control issue last week.