PDA

View Full Version : A good book to prepare for interview?

manucordier
4th Dec 2010, 22:12
Hi,

Could someone recommend a good book to prepare for interviews ?

Thank you,
Emmanuel.

Nimer767
4th Dec 2010, 22:19
There is a good book called Ace the Technical Pilot Interview i believe it covers all subjects .

Good Luck

Alby_88
5th Dec 2010, 01:21
I agree with Nimer767. I read it before my assessment at ryanair and believe me, it helped me a lot!

Strongly recommended ;)

Good luck!

stansdead
5th Dec 2010, 07:42
With the level of applications for all jobs currently, I would suggest a better read would be the Holy Bible.

Mr.Bloggs
5th Dec 2010, 08:38
Not much help for those seeking work with Emirates and their sister companies in the sandpit. Koran for Dummies, perhaps? And as for Air India, where does one start?

Seriously, just try the CX tech question publication, or find a list of typical questions for easyjet tech interviews. They are around, online.

Doubt I would pass one now. Been flying too long. (Before you ask, I will shortly vacate to happily make room for younger British blood)

agus
5th Dec 2010, 09:40
Nowadays the Holy Bible could be a good book although Coran.
Anyway checks these others:

PilotsReference.com (http://www.pilotsreference.com/)

ASA: Airline Pilot Technical Interviews (http://www.asa2fly.com/Airline-Pilot-Technical-Interviews--P596_product1.aspx)

Good luck!

hollingworthp
5th Dec 2010, 09:45
Don't forget to add the following caveat: "Other fairy stories are available"

I would use "Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" but only for guidance as the the type of questions you might expect (many of the answers are inaccurate or just wrong). Use those questions to dive back into your ATPL books to confirm your understanding of those areas.

2 Whites 2 Reds
5th Dec 2010, 10:18
'Ace the Technical Pilot Interview' is very good as a general ATPL brush up. But if you're looking to get a better understanding and knowledge of jets in particular then 'Handling The Big Jets' by D P Davies is a must have.

2W2R

manucordier
5th Dec 2010, 14:34
Thanks a lot to all those good advises.

Torque Tonight
6th Dec 2010, 13:17
Here's some good advice regarding 'Ace The Technical Pilot Interview': don't waste your money on this junk. The text is so full of factual errors, ranging from subtle to absolutely glaring, that you'd be better off just guessing the answers to the questions. This book really is SO substandard that you shouldn't waste your hard earned money on it. A reputable publisher would at the very least have made amendments available but really should have refunded everyone, had the books recalled and pulped them.

If you repeat some of the stuff from this book at interview you certainly won't 'ace' the interview, you'll fail it and look like a fool.

Search on here for other honest reviews of this book before you waste your money. The author, editor and publisher should read them and be ashamed of themselves.

go around flaps15
6th Dec 2010, 14:54
If I have not said it on here already. I will say it now.

Handling The Big Jets.

manucordier
6th Dec 2010, 16:39
Well I see that "Ace the Technical Pilot Interview" is not appreciated at unanimity. I think I won't buy it.

However what do you think about the two books proposed by Agus ?

- PilotsReference.com

- ASA: Airline Pilot Technical Interviews

(I 've already ordered online Handling the Big Jet and I was thinking maybe to buy both books here above mentioned by Agus).

Luke SkyToddler
12th Dec 2010, 13:24
It very much depends on the specific airline format. My first turboprop interview was very heavy on CRM, scenarios and tell-us-a-story-about-a-time-you-worked-well-as-a-team kind of thing. "Ace the Technical Pilot" wouldn't be any use at all in that situation. Easyjet very similar, a lot of aviation law as well as CRM stuff there. Then when I did Qatar Airways I was all ready with my good CRM stories and it was 2 hours of pure hard-out tech questions, not a single personal question at all. And my current job was a sim ride with no interview what soever.

Of course if it's an interview for a plane that you're already type rated on then the best prep is reading the aircraft manual.

The best all round book by far that I have used in my career is the one by Cheryl Cage called "Checklist for Success". Get that book in good time before your interview, work through the exercises it suggests, get YOUR personal stories all rehearsed and ready. Then read up your ATPL theory notes - or go do the free practice exams at aviation tire.

But really you need to tell us the specific airline you're targetting or interviewing and someone here will almost certainly have specific gen for you.

galleypower
18th Dec 2010, 21:03
Seriously, just try the CX tech question publication, or find a list of typical questions for easyjet tech interviews. They are around, online.

All the CX tech questions (and answers) can be found for free here (http://www.flightwork.com/training/pilot-interview/tech-question-database/aerodynamics.html).

dustyprops
26th Dec 2010, 11:25
Good luck with 'Handling the big jets'. I never made it past the first chapter, it's a real snooze fest. Grab all the free stuff online and that'll do ya tech wise.

When you know who you're interviewing with, find all the stuff you can on them, and thats you prepared.

Simple, cheap, and it's got me every job i've gone for (3 Boeings with 3 companies, 2 of 'em majors).:ok: