PDA

View Full Version : Geriatric Buggies

notlangley
4th Dec 2010, 05:41
This thread is not about golf buggies nor baby buggies.

Both my wife and I are growing old at the same speed._ We decided therefore to spoil ourselves and make our twice annual flights from London to Melbourne by business class._ We chose Thai business class._ The experience started well._ We relaxed in the business lounge at Heathrow and then were taken by buggy to our gate._ But Bangkok was an unexpected failure - totally exhausting._ The Business Lounge at Bangkok was excellent._ But there is not a buggy system in the airport._ Bankok is of course a hub for Thai Airways which meant that we walked about a mile and a half to get to the gate for our next flight._ The journey to Melbourne was considerably more tiring than World Class Qantas._ Never again do we fly Thai._ It is not the fault of the airline - I blame the airport.

What I would like to ask is
1) Is there a business class buggy system at Singapore?
2) Is there a business class buggy system at Hong Kong?
3) Is there a business class buggy system at another similar intermediary airport?

bravoromeosierra
4th Dec 2010, 08:35
You have sort of contradicted yourself there.. you blame the airport for the lack of a buggy, but you will never fly Thai again?

Surely if you blame the airport, you shouldn't be laying the discrepancy on the airline?

Donkey497
4th Dec 2010, 20:07
The Business Lounge at Bangkok was excellent._ But there is not a buggy system in the airport.

Sorry, but yes there is, having been picked up by buggy when arriving in BKK from SIN in September & as tactfully as possible declining the buggy service on the way back.

It's not something that is widely advertised, but if you want it, it normally has to be specifically booked & paid as part of your ticket & is organised by the local carrier's reps. It's not part of the landside "assisted boarding" services as for most airports, but part of the "special services" normally for VIP's etc.

I don't normally rate anyhting like this kind of service, but I was introducing one of our senior global personnel to the folk we were visiting & they were out to impress.

notlangley
4th Dec 2010, 20:55
Thank you Donkey497 for your interesting information._ Can you go further?_ We are in Melbourne and fly back to London in January._ It would be nice to have a buggy in Bangkok on 17 January._ I wonder if this is possible._ We booked in the UK using a company called e-bookers._ Perhaps you could privately tell my through the messaging system what was the price that you paid._ I do appreciate that a VIP buggy will be very expensive.

Many thanks to SASKATOON999 for your invaluable information on Singapore._ Singapore is the first airline on my personal short-list for future trips from Heathrow to Tullamarine.

I can’t imagine that I would in future bookings be able to afford a VIP buggy._ It would be nice to have more than just Singapore-stopping airlines._ How about Hong Kong - anybody?

notlangley
4th Dec 2010, 21:31
Whatever reply Donkey497 makes by private message will be confidential and I will not refer to it any way on this Forum or elsewhere.

But while I am waiting I am reminded of the statement attributed to the millionaire J.P.Morgan "If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it"

Donkey497
5th Dec 2010, 19:13
Hi Notlangley et al...

There's not a lot of point of having anything confidential as I simply don't know what it cost to arrange the buggy pick-up.

Although we booked our own flights, the buggy pick-up was arranged locally by the company we were visiting. Like I said, they were out to impress the senior guy that I was taking out to introduce to them. I've been out to check them out several times & I was already suitably impressed by their abilities & capabilities.

I remarked to my usual contact about how the service had made a good impression on our arrival & was somewhat unexpected as buggies aren't a regular feature at BKK, which was when he told me that it was a service that was not widely advertised, being more of a VIP/Special Services thing, but was available to all, so long as it was pre-arranged.

He either wasn't able to divulge or didn't want to tell me how much it cost, so I'm afraid I can't help you there.

The only other relevant thing that I can tell you is that prior to travel, we had a fair bit of correspondence with our hosts regarding flight numbers and ticketing information, so I guess that was necessary for them to arrange things for us from their end.

Hartington
5th Dec 2010, 20:29
The information is on the Thai GB website

"Thai Airways accommodates the varying requirements of our passengers, such as communication, visual difficulties or mobility concerns. Please telephone reservations, on 0844 561 0911, giving as much notice as possible.

Wheelchairs are available free of charge and should be requested through our reservations department at least 24 hours prior to departure."

Can't find it on the AU website so just phone them in Australia and ASK for help.

notlangley
6th Dec 2010, 01:17
Thanks Hartington that is excellent information._ I will try that.

My wife and I are spending Christmas in Melbourne where half of our children+grandchildren live (the other half of our c+g live in UK)._ And a reliable Australian informs me that there is a land-side buggy system in Hong Kong._ So that adds Qantas to Singapore airlines._ Any others?

Wannabe Flyer
6th Dec 2010, 07:40
Hong Kong has a buggy system where one has to pay about HK$50 per person. I have never used it so do not know the extent of the routing, but they are very visible once you are off the aircraft.

Most airport websites have some sort of information about special needs etc and most ask you to contact your airline in advance.

notlangley
6th Dec 2010, 09:12
Thank you Wannabe Flyer.
It is very sensible to put a price on this service._ It will mean that it is not used frivolously._ The price is a good price which will reduce the inconvenience to foot passengers._ At the moment it is free in Heathrow._ It would be better to charge - otherwise the number of buggies will become a problem and a cause of contention.