PDA

View Full Version : Scholarship on the horizon?

New FO
3rd Dec 2010, 12:44
Hi All,

I'm aware the GAPAN Scholarship for a full ATPL has now gone.

Does anyone know of any other scholarships/sponsorships available?

Or do we see any on the horizon?

flyhighspeed300
3rd Dec 2010, 23:49
save hard, or go to uni and use the student loan money to fund your flight training,. You will have to work hard part time at uni to pay for your up keep but it is possible.

do not get a big loan.

hope this helps

New FO
5th Dec 2010, 16:33
Ah, this wasn't quite my question.

I'm speaking about the possibility of a full scholarship. Similar to the GAPAN one that no longer exists.

I just wonder what my fellow pilots and potential pilots think?

alphaadrian
5th Dec 2010, 16:36
Maybe thats why the government want to raise student fees lol!
And does any student get enough of a loan to pay for their upkeep AND fly!! God..that amount of saving would even put Scrooge to shame!!

Alph

vfrrider481
5th Dec 2010, 18:29
New fo,

Ah but you have had the answer. Basically gapan offer the only full scholarship.

A number of others offer part sponsorships or mentored schemes but most require 60 to 70k investment from the candidate.

I believe a thorough search on the gapan website "how to become a pilot" document gives a list of a number of potential sponsors. My advice is to plan a route not reliant on sponsorship because the few available are always incredibley over subscribed and only a tiny minority actually achieve it.

Sorry,
Vfr

New FO
16th Dec 2010, 20:19
Has anyone heard of the Flight Level 500 Scholarship?

I've heard it's a full ATPL scholarship.

MichaelOLearyGenius
16th Dec 2010, 20:48
I'm speaking about the possibility of a full scholarship.

I just wonder what my fellow pilots and potential pilots think?
Never ceases to amaze me the number of comedians to be found on pprune.

Haven't had such a laugh in ages, nearly fell off me' seat :D:D:D:D

New FO
16th Dec 2010, 20:54
I don't get this post!?

If someone developed a sponsorship would it be incredible? Almost beyond belief and very very positive?

MichaelOLearyGenius
16th Dec 2010, 21:04
If someone developed a sponsorship would it be incredible?

Without doubt. I would definately fall off my seat if this was to occur.

Rewind your post about 7-10 years and it might just be relevant or topical.:ok:

New FO
16th Dec 2010, 21:15
M.O.L.G -

I suggest you keep your eyes peeled ;-)

You may be suprised at what lurks around the corner. There could be some very positive movements on this front... for the right people.

206Fan
17th Dec 2010, 00:29
New FO,

Your profile clearly states you have an ATP License. Why are you worrying about ATPL Scholarships?

MartinCh
17th Dec 2010, 09:22
Alister,

If one works part time during Uni (UK) and possibly a lot during summer, it is still doable saving most of the maintenance grant/loan and any university scholarship.

Naturally, this may be limited or not applicable to kids with 'household/parent' income above certain amount etc etc, but as single, independently living, not earning too much (at least taxable), I can't see a reason why this is bad idea. Isn't it good to have some solid education and save 'as you go' in these times, if they really are serious about flight training?

Better than being student, getting sloshed couple nights a week and being broke, chugging toasts and baked beans (yeah, bit cliche) before the start of next term when the loan/grant money is cleared to account.

pheeel
17th Dec 2010, 16:37
Well, believe it or not there are still some "proper" cadet (i.e. sponsored) schemes out there:

Cathay still has it's cadet pilot program ongoing

Cathay Pacific - Careers : Careers Home (http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/careers/flying/cadetpilot)

perhaps Etihad does too? worth a googlewack...:ok: