PDA

View Full Version : Last bombs of WWII

ardencrest
3rd Dec 2010, 08:46
My father, who died recently, was a navigator in Mosquitoes with 110 Squadron in Burma in 1945. According to the history books 110 dropped the last bombs of the war on August 20th 1945 against hardline Japanese resistance and I have just discovered my father's flight log for that date. Two aircraft flew on that mission and Dad was in the second. Dad's name was George Richards and his pilot was Ron Prankerd. The flight log records eight bombs dropped on a place called Shwengyin, (the planes carrying four bombs each). A direct hit with 14 bashas destroyed and others damaged. They then carried out three strafing runs before returning home. As Dad and Ron were in the second of the two planes it seems they dropped the last bomb of World War II. As I said I have just discovered this flight log amongst other interesting RAF stuff that Dad kept in a trunk in the attic. I am wondering if this is of historical interest to anyone and would also be interested to hear from anyone who knows any more about 110 squadron and these last bombing raids.

Hipper
3rd Dec 2010, 08:57
You might want to consult the RAF Museum, Hendon, on its historical significance.

If you consider donating it to the museum I recommend you copy the pages, by camera or photocopy, so that you still have this record for your family. I donated my father's logbook to the RAF Museum and now have to visit the place to see it!

GeeRam
3rd Dec 2010, 10:10
You might want to consult the RAF Museum, Hendon, on its historical significance.

And I'm sure the Mosquito Museum in Herts would be glad of a copy of the log as well.

Tashengurt
3rd Dec 2010, 11:45
Nearly choked on my tea! Of course it's of interest! Call the IWM or Hendon or both! What an amazing find.

MTOW
3rd Dec 2010, 20:20
In Borneo, I don't know if any bombs were dropped later than the 20th, but the 'hold out' Japanese were still killing the last of the Brit and Australian POWs as late as Aug 27th. (The infamous 'Sandakan Death March'. On the 27th, they killed off the last of the Allied officers in an almost successful attempt to hide all evidence of how badly POWs had been treated in Borneo.)

The Allies found that the only way the 13th Army could be convinced to surrender was to authorise a Japanese military aircraft to fly in to Kuching from Japan with a personal representative of the Emperor on board with orders to surrender.

Sven Sixtoo
4th Dec 2010, 10:10
If asked, the RAF Museum will take a copy of a logbook or other document and then return it. I arranged exactly this quite recently for the logbook of Len Rooke of 617 Sqn. Len joined 617 shortly after the Dams raid and flew on several of their famous actions subsequently, including one of the Tirpitz raids.

Documents like these are a physical link to a past that we must remember. The data in them is useful to historians. I feel it is right to make the data available to all, but keep the document itself where it has emotional as well as technical significance.

Sven

Double Zero
4th Dec 2010, 10:42
When a guide at Tangmere last year, I got chatting with a charming couple who were visiting.

The lady turned out to contribute to the IWM, doing recorded interviews with veterans; when she found out that my dad was a Leading Air Mechanic ( HMS Unicorn, Stalker & Khedive ) she was keen to get him on tape.

He travelled to her little studio, and his memories are now available - among many others - for later generations to listen to.

I got the impression they have plenty of Spitfire pilots etc ( but worth a mention ), it's the trades and less glamorous but equally important details they're after.

If anyone feels they know someone who should be recorded, PM me and I'll pass on details.

Julaw
28th Jan 2011, 12:50
I have just read about your father flying with Ron Prankerd in Burma. He is my father and would very much like to get in touch with you. I am not used to using forums and hope that this reaches you. Can you get in touch with me so that I can give you more information?

Evileyes
28th Jan 2011, 13:28
Julaw I have taken the liberty of shooting ardencrest an e-mail letting him know you have posted as he hasn't been on PPRuNe in a while.

You can message him as well by clicking on his name in the column on the left and either sending an e-mail or a private message.

Please feel free to continue your conversation here though as I'm sure we would be fascinated.

Cheers,
The Mods

Union Jack
28th Jan 2011, 13:47
PPrune strikes again! Well done Ardencrest and Julaw - and Evileyes:ok:

A nudge towards http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/329990-gaining-r-f-pilots-brevet-ww11.html would also be worth consideration, especially for Mr Prankerd's attention ......

Jack

savimosh01
3rd Feb 2011, 18:54
I've just published a book called "Remember Me: No. 110 (Hyderabad) Squadron Royal Air Force", which includes 110 Squadron dropping both the first and last bombs of WWII. My father, RCAF, was a WAG with 110 Squadron in the Far East. Ardencrest and Julaw, please email me [email protected] ~Sara~

PeterCox
26th May 2022, 12:13
So interesting to read this. My father was in the other plane that took part in the last operation of the war! He was Frank (Francis) Henry Cox and was the navigator, the pilot was Couchman.

tiny fireburn
15th Jun 2022, 14:09
I suggest you consult the National Archives at Kew with a view to looking at the Operations Record Book for 110 Sqn for the period in question. That should give you contemporary chapter and verse