PDA

View Full Version : Regional airline to biz jets tranition, interview - seeking advice

ipilot86
2nd Dec 2010, 13:19
Hello,

I am looking for advice. I am invited for an interview next week to work for a local biz jet operator in Europe. Till now I have worked for 3 years as an f/o for a regional airline and have more than 2000 TT.

I didn't know who to ask for advice and info, hence here are my questions:

1. How is the market doing for biz jet pilots? If I do my TR - Cessna Citation CJ1 or CJ2 - will I be able to find a job later on (just in case...)? How many hours are needed?

2. What is the range of salaries for newbie biz jet pilots (F/Os)? If I were to negotiate I wish to know the pay scale.

And generally what would you say, which aviation career path is better, more prospective, with more opportunities? Shall I stick to airlines or rather try into the bizjets business.

I know my questions may seem trivial, yet I would really appreciate any help. Any links for reference?

Best wishes to all of you!

Doodlebug
7th Dec 2010, 13:33
You haven't received a deluge of replies because there is a lot of information pertinent to your questions in the older threads here. Dig, there's a lot to be found.

In short, though, just about everybody here would give you answers in the following vein:

1. Not a good idea, unless you have a contract signed with a reputable operator prior to shelling out your cash. Even then things might go awry. Hours needed will vary, depends amongst various other factors on what equipment your stated 2000+ where accumulated on.

2. Just about unanswerable. Anything from 1500 to 4000 depending on operator, operation, type of light jet.

3. Define 'better'. If you're after status bizjets are not the way to go. The majority of bizet-positions do not offer a stable roster. Some are a bit alternative when it comes to operating practices. Some (few) good positions offer exceedingly good pay, conditions and stable rostering, but to get there takes a while. No matter what job you have, however, you will have to be prepared to get your hands dirty, and to go the extra mile whenever required. Can be very rewarding.

Best of luck.

Tugnut
8th Dec 2010, 14:00
ipilot86

If you have a steady job with a regional carrier, i'd suggest staying put. The bizjet market, speaking from current experience is very up and down. We've been lucky and flown a similar amount of hours to you regional guys, however our company is not making loads of dosh. We are keeping our heads above water but thats it. consequently if someone came in and put a serious credible offer on the table for the aircrafts I believe we would be out of jobs tomorrow. Our only saving grace is market prices have been forced lower and lower meaning our owners would get bottom dollar for there chariots hence they are stuck with them for another 18 months 2 years. Smaller operators also offer little if any security.

Unless you are going for an interview with a big bizjet operator then I would certainly remain where I was.

As for wages. Dont get me started. For a light jet, 1500-2000 p/m if you're lucky.:bored: Again depends on company size.

I sound like a right whinge bag. As Doodlebug says, it can be very rewarding and the variety of flying is fantastic. As long as you can accept that you may not have a stable roster and you may need to respond to the telephone going off and being airborne within a few hours, then you'll love it.

Just out of curiosity, what operator are you being interviewed by?

Best of luck