PDA

View Full Version : DHL Lej Commutable to uk???

Ilovenortherneurope
1st Dec 2010, 16:45
Would love some objective help here please?
How if jumpseats are not available is it possible to commute to UK if working for DHL. Would really appreciate the advise from guys who are doing it warts and all. Help me make a rational decision.
I look forward to your replies

non0
1st Dec 2010, 17:43
Ilovethenortherneurope
... the southern europe is sunnier! ... the east europe is full of beautiful women! ... the west is always the best! ...from Germany to UK you can commute also riding a boat!

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Dec 2010, 18:26
NorthernEurope
Based LEJ and occasionally coming back to UK - yep
Based LEJ and trying to get back to UK for all your days off - Struggle.
If you take the job with the first para as your best bet then you'll exceed your expectations. If you take the 2nd option stay in Northern Europe wherever that is
:\

Snoop
1st Dec 2010, 20:18
Nope. Not if you want a life. You got to live in LEJ.

OM inbound
1st Dec 2010, 21:34
Speaking of commuting from LEJ... is it possible to commute 3 hrs by car?

despegue
2nd Dec 2010, 06:35
Fixed roster will be introduced in February.

RollsRoyce36
2nd Dec 2010, 07:25
@ Ilovenortherneurope : hi, did you apply? i was thinking about commuting from austria, which is no big deal with the 7/7 roster. as one hears, this will not apply to the new contracts, which makes it unattractive for me.
regards

Pilot125
3rd Dec 2010, 09:20
Trying to answer this :

If you will work for DHL Air or DHL UK and you are LEJ Base then you will struggle to commute to/from England since you have low priority on jumpseats and because you only have a few days off it can become very stressful. It is possible and many do it but not always easy. Specially over the weekends ( fewer flights ) and now in the winter with all the delays and if you have only 2 or 3 days off you might spend only 24h at home before trying to commute back again.

If you will work for EAT LEJ then you will have the same problem as mentioned above . Only a few days off and not always a free jumpseat to/from UK.

A comment about the block or fix roster ( which is important for commuters )

DHL Air don't have it ( they hope it will come back ) and EAT Lej have it for their existing pilots but not for new joiners anymore.

Hope this helps

P-T
3rd Dec 2010, 21:19
Be careful as to what the contact companies are selling you as to what DHL will provide. I've fallen foul of some of the comments mentioned to me by a Contract company, but at the moment the commute is working fine. The frustrating thing is that it's in no way DHL's fault, just contractors trying to get their commission by putting bums on seats.

Jump seats are available, but if you do fall foul then there are guaranteed ways of getting back to the UK. Lufthansa fly from LEJ to FFT on to LHR, £150 return and there are plenty of flights a day. I know it might seem a lot of money, but in January's roster I'm spending £450 to commute to LEJ, which is half what was spending on living in a UK city and paying for an apartment and commuting home to the family, so I'm better off. I'm also only in LEJ for one night off my own back, so £35 in a Hotel, so I'm still under £500 a month for the commute. I know its not ideal, but neither is flying from a base in South East Germany when you live in the UK. You need to balance up if you can afford the travel, both in finance and time terms.

On the plus side, the people you work with are great.

hotelmodemetar
4th Dec 2010, 11:44
EAT Lej have it for their existing pilots but not for new joiners anymore.

Does EAT still exist?