PDA

View Full Version : Lance Sergeants

MightyGem
30th Nov 2010, 19:04
I Know the original thread is closed, but I thought this would clear up the confusion about Lance Sergeants, as my dad was in the Guards.

A Lance Sergeant is a Corporal who has the privilege of receiving Mess bills without the equivalent pay scale to support it.
The rank of Lance Sergeant exists only in the Foot Guards. Queen Victoria decided that her protectors needed a bit more bling, and threw an extra stripe at her JNCO's. Hence that Guards Lance Corporals wear two stripes, and Corporals (Lance Sergeants) wear 3. Lance Sergeants wear white chevrons however, and a full Sergeant wears gold - both have full Mess rights though, even though the Lance Sergeant is seen to the rest of the Army as a Corporal.

This may have changed over the years, but although L/Sgts can use the Sgt's Mess, their sleeping accommodation is with the junior ranks.

Tankertrashnav
1st Dec 2010, 17:16
Cheers, MG, that's how I understood it. I know my mum enjoyed going to the dances in the sergeants' mess, no doubt a cut above the dos in the junior ranks club or whatever the equivalent was in the 1920's !

By the way do you happen to know if trained soldier still exists?