PDA

View Full Version : Finnish Cabin Crew Union on strike

Finn47
30th Nov 2010, 10:18
As of today, 13:00 hours, the Finnish Cabin Crew Union members are on strike, which affects most Finnair and Blue 1 flights from this afternoon onwards. Contrary to what has been happening with BA cabin crew, all unionized CC members are on strike. The reason, according to cabin crew reps, is, Finnair wants to change terms and conditions relating to rest time after long distance flights, a.o.things.

Cabin Crew Strike Begins, Flights Grounded | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi (http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/11/cabin_crew_strike_begins_flights_grounded_2180559.html)

jetpilotsimmo
1st Dec 2010, 06:44
Causing problems for many, does anyone have any idea how progress talks are going, or how long this strike will last? at 2-2.5 million euros a day (estimated loss ) - taken from a news site. The company couldn't afford to keep planes out of the sky for too long ?

Finn47
1st Dec 2010, 14:17
A deal looks likely between cabin crew and Blue 1 this afternoon. However, there are no talks scheduled at all for the Finnair crew dispute.

jetpilotsimmo
1st Dec 2010, 23:08
ah ok, thankyou for that information, I just hope something is sorted!

jetpilotsimmo
2nd Dec 2010, 05:25
Blue1 Schedules Returning to Normal | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi (http://www.yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/12/blue1_schedules_returning_to_normal_2188183.html)

yle reporting that blue1 returning to normal thursday afternoon, lets hope finnair reach a resolution very soon

Finn47
3rd Dec 2010, 14:05
Negotiations will restart tomorrow, Saturday, largely due to support action by other unions announced today. If no agreement has been reached by Tuesday, the truck driversī union will stop supplying fuel to all Finnair aircraft as well as all the wet leased planes now flying Finnair routes. The Aviation Union will stop all cargo and catering activities. The Postal Union will stop mail movements at Helsinki-Vantaa Airport... I see no way forward for the Finnair CEO except accepting defeat.

Avionker
4th Dec 2010, 14:11
It's not just the Cabin crew. There has been trouble brewing with the engineers for a long time as well. Finnair Heavy Maintenance had a nice full winter program booked up. A lot of those aircraft have been cancelled now as the unions are working to rule and not allowing contractors on site.

Costing me money that is..... :mad:

Finn47
7th Dec 2010, 07:02
No deal by this morning means more support action by other unions, starting today:

Finnair Hit by More Union Action | News | YLE Uutiset | yle.fi (http://yle.fi/uutiset/news/2010/12/finnair_hit_by_more_union_action_2198692.html)

Finn47
10th Dec 2010, 01:57
The strike lasted for 9 days but itīs over now and traffic should return to normal during the weekend. CC have a new contract with job security until the end of 2013. Estimated losses for the company: 20 M€ plus. The whole charade should have been avoided, IMO, but what can you do...

jetpilotsimmo
10th Dec 2010, 05:02
glad to see its over,
I agree it should have been avoided, but perhaps this was the only way the crew could be heard.

Nevertheless, my flights from now on next week will be going - weather permitting :D