PDA

View Full Version : CX270

Ex Cathedra
29th Nov 2010, 01:42
Murphy was right, if it's going to happen, it's going to happen at the worst possible place, i.e. REVKI...

Everybody's safe, another day saved by the boys. Good job guys!

I wonder what Karaganda is like this time of the year...?

superfrozo
29th Nov 2010, 02:26
Oh the simple joys of a radio call to a Kazakh ATCer...

"YEK SHEMESH, we have Mayday yes! Please have fire services and 4th best prostitute in all of Kazakhstan for our arrival.... HIGH FIVE!!!"

:ok:

I know: hat, coat, door.

Capt Toss Parker
29th Nov 2010, 03:15
Would anyone care to elaborate? Should I jump in my war bird and fly up there to give the lads some mentoring as they wait for assistance?

Fly747
29th Nov 2010, 04:05
Sounds like a great place, from Wiki:

Karaganda was often used as the punchline in a popular joke in the former Soviet Union. Karaganda is fairly isolated in a vast area of uninhabited steppe, and is thought by many to be "the middle of nowhere". When used in the locative case (Караганде), the final syllable rhymes with the Russian word for "where" (где), as well as with a Russian obscenity used to answer to an unwanted question "Where?". Thus the exchange: "Where is it?" "In Karaganda!"

cxorcist
29th Nov 2010, 04:23
Interesting that the aircraft was HOP which was mentioned in last week's fleet newsletter... I'll just leave it at that. :oh:

N1 Vibes
29th Nov 2010, 05:46
CTP,

suggest better if you have one in your vast hangar collection, to fly there in a fomer Soviet Bloc manufactured bird, otherwise you may get a 'warm reception' from the 24 hot-standby Mig's on station!

Best Regards,

N1 Vibes

Frogman1484
29th Nov 2010, 06:05
From the AOA update. Crew will operate after min rest back to hong kong...WTF!!! Surely crew control could get some of our G Day workers to go there and operate back with no rest!!!
They obviously do not need the rest day!

Black Cloud
29th Nov 2010, 06:11
Good joke. I hope these guys see the humour.

LGB
29th Nov 2010, 06:29
07:05 CX 270D Amsterdam
Cathay Pacific
Dly to 30/11 (30/11/2010)

From http://www.hongkongairport.com/flightinfo/eng/real_arrinfo.do?fromDate=2010-11-29

Bye Bye Baby
29th Nov 2010, 08:59
I think you should remove that post haste!!!!!!!!!!!!

joebanana
29th Nov 2010, 09:36
Coolio, not smart. There's a time and a place and this isn't it. :=

the reo
29th Nov 2010, 10:00
Word for word copy, you are nuts

ron burgandy
29th Nov 2010, 11:38
Coolio,

All you achieve, by putting an internal company post like that on a public forum, is to ensure that information like it is not shared with us in the future.:D

LGB
29th Nov 2010, 12:07
NOT SO COOL, COOLIO.

I agree, remove that post right now, you are not doing anyone a favor.

ron burgandy
29th Nov 2010, 12:15
And a new challenger throws his hat in the ring:ugh:

Harbour Dweller
29th Nov 2010, 12:23
There's always one, but two? :rolleyes:

All you guys are doing is preventing us from gaining valuable knowledge in the future.

IFB
29th Nov 2010, 12:47
dustyprops coolio

What are you guys smoking? :ugh::=

Ex Cathedra
29th Nov 2010, 14:15
Too late, it's all over the internet:

Incident: Cathay Pacific B744 near Karaganda on Nov 28th 2010, loss of cabin pressure (http://avherald.com/h?article=433fd09d&opt=0)

So much for keeping company info confidential... :D

Especially when every shameless, lazy, pathetic, dim-witted, Sherlock-Holmes-wannabe aviation journalist reads the hot pile of monkey cr*p we all write on these forums like gospel in search for a quick dose of cheap sensationalism which would help him get a miserable promotion without having to suck his boss' c%#*.

elgringo
29th Nov 2010, 15:16
dustyprops coolio

411A
29th Nov 2010, 15:32
The FD crew at CX will just have to learn (if that's possible) that these details will be published sooner or later...if not on the web by jurnos, then by SDR reports that are generated by MRO's etc on a somewhat daily basis...and find their way to the web, eventually.

HongKong maintenance...not what it used to be.:rolleyes:

boxjockey
29th Nov 2010, 15:48
Really bad judgment guys, hope you use better in the FD.

box

PPRuNe Towers
29th Nov 2010, 16:00
Can't hide this stuff in the modern world guys any more than you can with Taxiway Alpha and meandering Airbi.

If you think about it, other pilots, other engineers and also of course ATCers know of these incidents long before you, the Cathay crews, do. And there are 90,000 visitors here everyday from every corner of the world - rocket science it is not.

Rob

Bye Bye Baby
29th Nov 2010, 20:16
That maybe true Rob, but they are not privy to internal company memos that only make my job easier and safer. M and G's newsletters are an excellent source of information about our operation, to throw these into doubt because of a couple of idiots will unboubtedly withdraw that valuable source.

quadspeed
29th Nov 2010, 21:17
This only goes to to show that Cathay Pilots (today) are amongst the most disloyal, apathetic and disgruntled employees you'll find anywhere. But it wasn't always so.

When you treat your staff like prostitutes, they hate you no less because they accept the cash.

It's truly that simple.

crewsunite
29th Nov 2010, 23:49
It is unfortunate in some ways from the above post, as M will most probably get a letter from someone higher up the food chain asking him not to write sensitive stuff etc..

Which will be a big loss to the operating crew on that fleet.

I could not believe word for word quoted in SCMP.
Come on guys at least post a hint to the tech stuff or small summary in your own words. We all know where to find it, if we want the full details.

Now that it is open:
I wonder if Swire maintenance will undergo an Audit by the CAD. I hear via the grapevine that there have been some short cuts taken. (Based on probability of failure)

Which leaves the crew as the last line of defence yet again?
Got the love the pic of in SCMP of the guys trying to read his newspaper with the O2 Mask on. Full confidence in CX Crew.

Well done indeed, crew you make us of all proud! For Swire I hope you get the wrap for this you greedy p.gs! and that we win some kudos from the travelling public.

To M sorry, I hope you can stand up the tosses above u and keep writing good info for our reading.

CRWCRW
30th Nov 2010, 00:55
http://www.scmp.com/files/SCMP/News/Static%20Files/SCM_News_CATHAY30_map.jpg

CRWCRW
30th Nov 2010, 00:57
http://www.scmp.com/files/SCMP/News/Static%20Files/SCM_News_SCMP_29NOV10_NS_CX1__IMG00120-20.jpg

B-HKD
30th Nov 2010, 01:12
dustyprops what are you snooping around outside of the ME forum? aren't you the EK guy who f*cked up the A345 at YMML ?

If not, then surely you must be related to him :ugh:

N1 Vibes
30th Nov 2010, 02:45
Which is better:

1. Public exposure and the ensuing weight of public pressure to correct any fault

2.'Carefully worded' press releases that allow issues to fade into the background, to be followed up by ex-CX/KA/HX employees in the CAD

Saturn
30th Nov 2010, 15:06
Did CX not outsource most if its MX to these places? Did not HOP come from the desert and go right to Xiamen for MX?

I have had a number of colleagues from various airlines come pick up a/c in HKG and Xiamen and tell me they were in worst shape than when they went in?

Outsourcing, it's going to catch up the CX management! We keep having events and god forbid there are any fatalities at some point.

It is only because of our most excellent crews that we avoid much worse scenarios.

iMad
30th Nov 2010, 16:01
The general sentiment over this incident is that its a result of shoddy maintenance, with the bacon saved by the flight crew on the day, as evidenced by the article in the SCMP.

Can the AOA ride this wave and inform the public of HKG that ALL Cathay staff are promised to get a pay rise EXCEPT the very guys who stopped brain matters slopped all over the kazakh mountains?

haughtney1
30th Nov 2010, 16:14
Karaganda, interesting choice to Divert (not second guessing..just wondering the CX methodology) given Astana is also nearby and perfectly capable to handle a 400, as is Almaty.
No idea of the wx conditions nor anything else..I do know that I'd go to Astana/Almaty anyday over Karaganda..and twice on sundays:ok:

Note: I was based locally for a bit..so have exp of all 3 places:E

Loopdeloop
30th Nov 2010, 19:40
h1, I would guess that they turned around and chose the airport most likely to give them a favourable outcome, having considered runway length and direction, current weather and distance to fly.
I would doubt that anyone in the cockpit had first hand experience of any of the available divs but thanks for the info about them in case I should find myself in trouble thereabouts in the future!

N1 Vibes
1st Dec 2010, 02:36
Googelski is your comrade!

Weather Underground shows:

Astana - 28/11 - Events - Fog , Rain , Snow , Hail

Almaty - 28/11 - Events - Fog

Karaganda - 28/11 - Events - Snow

MrClaus
1st Dec 2010, 07:21
I think Swire is neck deep into its commitment($$$) to HAECO/TAECO and any chance of them not providing CX maintenance is a pipe dream. It would take something more major than cx270 to clean up that mess.

Jn14:6
1st Dec 2010, 07:34
HOP was never in the desert.

turnandburn
1st Dec 2010, 07:43
was Borat working the tower that day?

geh065
1st Dec 2010, 13:12
I see one of our BCFs scheduled to fly to Karaganda. What spare parts are needed over there that need a BCF that couldn't be flown over in the rescue 744?

geh065
1st Dec 2010, 13:22
Also it seems they 'departed' on the ferry flight back to HKG but returned an hour and a half later on tuesday. Did they get airborne? Same problem or a new one?

pilotaydin
1st Dec 2010, 15:47
I was flying a cargo flight that night, i heard the mayday call, for those who mock the controller, he did a fantastic job, he knew when to talk and when to wait for the crew to respond, he called all other a/c and told them there was mayday traffic and to stop transmitting....

they didnt seem to lose all their pressure, as they were step descending along the way, without terrain in the area....good thing they were allright, the crew sounded nice n calm.

Jn14:6
1st Dec 2010, 18:07
Pilotdyn

I also note your posts on A-Net.
The reason for stepped descent should be fairly obvious. If not, please have a look at the MRA around REVKI.

elgringo
1st Dec 2010, 22:47
The posting of the Company's info on this event is unprofessional.

All other posts regarding our situation with the company on this public forum is immature, sad and pathetic,

I quit PPrune and may, as a result quit the AOA...

Good Night and Good Luck
:O

Captain Dart
1st Dec 2010, 23:17
Jeeze Louise, what's the AOA got to do with it :rolleyes:? Go ahead and quit the AOA, then you can negotiate with the Swire Group yourself.

Regarding PPrUNE, on the basis of the logic and grammar in your post, good bye and good riddance!

Ex Cathedra
2nd Dec 2010, 01:43
I quit PPRuNe and may, as a result quit the AOA...

You're absolutely right!

I'm so outraged that I will quit CX and may, as a result, divorce my wife...

jetset
2nd Dec 2010, 02:23
I am going to divorce my wife, cut off my hands and STAY in Cathay :E

N1 Vibes
2nd Dec 2010, 08:06
A great loss there elgringo!

39 posts in 4 years, we're all really gonna miss your input here....:oh: