PDA

View Full Version : Biggin Hill Air Fair - the end.

kevmusic
27th Nov 2010, 12:25
As reported in the latest (Januaury) Aeroplane. It seems BHAL and Air Displays International have had an almighty bust-up and are no longer on speaking terms.

Can it really all end like this? It's been going years and years, entertained and thrilled millions and yet it's all going to run into the sand. Shame! :sad:

603DX
30th Nov 2010, 13:25
I really hope that this situation doesn't mean the end of all air shows at Biggin Hill, I have attended both Battle of Britain and Air Fair events there over many years. Despite the huge crowds which the venue attracts, it seems to have an enthusiast-friendly atmosphere, with the opportunity to get up close to numerous parked aircraft, and even to enter some of them.

I was very pleased to go inside the B17 "Sally B" and the Plane Sailing Catalina/Canso, and would have also done the same when Iren Dornier's amphibious Do-24ATT visited during his round-the-world tour, had the queue not been quite so long!

I experienced the pleasure of watching Neil Williams kitting-up in preparation for a superb aerobatic display in his Spitfire one year, and in tragic contrast another year I witnessed the group accompanying Don Bullock clamber into the A26 Invader for that aircraft's last flight. I have seen the Black Arrows perform there in their Hunters, the Red Arrows in their Gnats and in their Hawks, and many visiting European display teams, all shown at their best in the skies over this rolling countryside site.

It will be such a shame if poor relationships and bad tempers kill this air show off ...

Morris542
30th Nov 2010, 21:13
It would be a great shame if the airshows were indeed stopped. The first airshow I ever attended was at Biggin Hill and it is very much my "local" show, with aircraft flying over the house throughout the weekend. I have never had a bad day there, and the attendance has always been good (from what I've seen). It is the largest airshow in the south east and would be missed...