PDA

View Full Version : Tornado F3 documentary - mid 90s?

oldspool
26th Nov 2010, 18:04
Hi there,

Apologies for logging a rather trivial thread but I thought this is where I'd get the fastest answer.

Can anyone remind me of the name of the ITV (Granada, Meridian?) documentary about an RAF Tornado F3 deployment to Cold Lake, Canada that was aired in the early/mid 90s? I've Googled but no luck. Even better if you can let me know where I might get a copy.

Many thanks,
CH.

Finningley Boy
26th Nov 2010, 18:56
I can recall a drama on the telly around 1995/6 which was utterly uninspiring. I remember an actor called Mick Ford being in it.

FB:)

Craven Moorhed
26th Nov 2010, 18:59
Colin,

It was called Top Guns (well cheesy !) and featured 29 Sqn going from CGY to Cold lake.
There was a book to go with the series by Hugh Manners IIRC.
Good luck trying to find the 6 episodes.
Some of them were pretty good to be fair....

CM

Tashengurt
26th Nov 2010, 19:39
I liked the one late 70's early 80's. Squadron?

Lima Juliet
27th Nov 2010, 00:01
Here's the book:

http://www.hughmcmanners.com/images/topguns.jpg

Far, far, better than the TV series - actually reflects the real events!

You can still get it on Amazon.

LJ

PS. We pleaded with them not to call the series that name - the silly sods wouldn't listen!!! :ugh:

PPS. Hugh McManners is the author. Got an MID in the Falklands and top bloke - here's his website Hugh McManners (http://www.hughmcmanners.com/)

moggiee
27th Nov 2010, 05:39
I can recall a drama on the telly around 1995/6 which was utterly uninspiring. I remember an actor called Mick Ford being in it.

FB:)
That was "Strike Force" - filmed at Leeming while I was there on the F3 sim. We called it "Strike Farce".

The actors pretty much lived up to every stereotype you could imagine................

2Planks
27th Nov 2010, 16:36
But the "luvvies happy hour" when the TV company paid the whole tab was excellent (Not worth the nause of TV crews everywhere though)

Brian N
27th Nov 2010, 18:33
I recall that the full size mockup of a F3 nose & cockpit section that was used in the filming of Strike Force sat for years at the MT hangar at Leeming, i think nobody knew what to do with it!

moggiee
28th Nov 2010, 04:30
Good point