View Full Version : Fair pay.

ppragman
26th Nov 2010, 17:30
Ok, so I intend to go to Africa here eventually. I'd be interested in knowing what is fair pay for a pilot with Alaskan Bush experience, 3300hrs, and time in a wide variety of planes, but most of it in C206/207, PA32, and about 100hrs in the Caravan. Especially for operations in places that are a little bit further north, and don't have the same creature comforts as down south. Thanks.

Propellerpilot
26th Nov 2010, 18:49
Probably around +/-1000U$ a month. Pay is not negotiable - usually a take it or leave it situation. You may find that the 3300hrs will count against you - too experienced and a different attitude towards the job than a youngster with 300hrs.

Why open yet another thread ?

ppragman
26th Nov 2010, 19:29
Because its a little different going into it with 3300hrs than it is with 300. Because I'd like to know what's fair for a guy with bush (albeit not african bush) experience. Because wading through 1000 pages of "I've got 300hrs, can I get a job," doesn't sound like fun. Regardless, I appreciate the feedback. That adds clarity to the situation. Thanks.

Propellerpilot
27th Nov 2010, 01:00
Nevermind...

The fair thing is, that you get paid a basic salary and some extra, calculated on the types you fly - some companies pay milage. You will be getting paid according to a pay scale like everybody else - so get this idea of negotiating something different out of your mindset - they will tell you straight.

They are not used to negotiating salaries because the 300 hr pilot does not ever negotiate, if he wants to get the job - those guys are pretty desperate getting a foot in the door somewhere - that is why they usually just get paid well enough to survive as a person that is "single" (believe me, if your wife does not go to work or get a job: you and your family will eat porridge for breakfast and porridge for supper on a daily basis...). The companies actually increase their profit margin by employing the low-hour pilot - because they are inexpensive and are capable of doing the job - there is no real sense or benefit in paying more for someone with your type of hours - so you can't really expect any preferences.

As people here have mentioned before - don't uproot your family before you can be sure that you will actually be able to support them (ok maybe you have some sort of financial backbone and you don't depend on earning that salary - then fair enough). I think it is too great a risk. The only reason I left that job, was that I would never be in a position to adequately support anybody financially, except myself - even my chief-pilot honestly told me after 1000 hrs that it was time for me to take the jump onto something bigger - and he was right.

The Ancient Geek
27th Nov 2010, 01:56
With your experience and your Caravan time you should be researching Caravan operators. Not many Caravans in Bots or Namibia, AFAIK there are more operating in the Mara.
As others have said, the operators of small piston types employ low time pilots at low rates in return for the hours building.

Find out who is operating Caravans, they are in use all around the world and you might well have more luck with parcel carriers etc in the USA or Oz who tend to have larger fleets.

ppragman
27th Nov 2010, 02:41
All this would be nice. I fly boxes here, but don't make any money. If I'm not going to make any money, I might as well fly someplace warm. Not trying to be an arrogant ass, but, "you get what you pay for." Ya know? I want to go to Africa, but I don't particularly want to do it for table scraps if I don't have to. Or at least have a general idea of what is fair. Flying a 206 in Alaska, I was gonna bring home about $50,000 before I moved south for turbine time. That said, the cost of living is much much higher, so its apples and oranges. Basically, if I could pull $30,000 US I'd be a lucky man, regardless of what I was driving. I was simply interested in pay scales. If they don't want to negotiate, then fine, I'll either take what I can get, or go elsewhere, its as simple as that. This is part of the reason why I'm not jumping on the next plane to Maun, if a guy goes a little more prepared, with a little more dinero in his pockets, he can be a little choosier.

rodmur
27th Nov 2010, 09:55
nobody is going to give a caravan to a 300 hr junior. Insurance companies ask for 1000 min

In Maun most companies have vans
ie Sefofane
northern air
Safari Air
etc

Propellerpilot
27th Nov 2010, 14:04
Shure - but the 300hr junior will be a 1000hr junior after a year and a half - plenty of those guys around. If the companies are desperate for a Van Driver shure - but there will always be guys in-line for an upgrade and those people will get preference most of the time - they need to get some motivation for staying a little while longer.

Don't make the mistake thinking the cost of living in Maun or Windhoek comes cheap - the further north you get, the more you pay for everyday goods for our daily lifestyle. Of all places Windhoek is the most comfortable as they have good infrastructure - I really see myself fortunate having operated out of there. All the other places like Maun, Livingstone, Vic Falls, Harare are nice to see, but any layover for more than 2 days became too long, to say the very least - it is sort of like living in a sh:mad:hole

I concur with Ancient Greek - there are better places for guys with your experience.