PDA

View Full Version : Medical Classs 1 in Ireland

nilesh_b
26th Nov 2010, 15:18
Hi All,

I have couple of questions and all of you are expert.

1) I want to know if i can do my Medical Class 1 at Gatwick,
let say if i pass then get it converted it to Irish(SITU is the form or something that i will need to fill? :rolleyes:). Would IAA issue me CPL?

2) If i have no choice but to give 600 euros to Mater Private then do they conduct the Colour blindness test that CAA at gatwick conducts i.e. CAD?

i.e. when you fail Ishihara's test and CAA Gatwick conducts a computer based test?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

:suspect:

nilesh_b
6th Dec 2010, 21:56
I have made some inquiry and found out that, IAA do not do CAD for colour blind test. They only take first Ishihara and then Holmes Lantern test.

I would like to know if i can do my Initial Class 1 at Gatwick and get it converted to IAA - Is this possible? What are the procedures?

I had read about a form that has to be filled (SITU or something but could not find that thread again :ugh:)

I currently dont have PPL and want to explore my options before going any further.

Seriously appriciate your answers.

Cheers

mutt
7th Dec 2010, 06:53
Unfortunately the answer is NO, you cannot do the medical in Gatwick and have it converted to an Irish medical due to the fact that the JAR's state that your INITIAL medical must be from the country of Licence issue.

So if you want to train in Ireland, you need an Irish Medical.
If you want a UK medical, you need to train in the UK.

Renewals are different, you can do them in any country.

Mutt

nilesh_b
7th Dec 2010, 11:07
Hi Mutt,

Thanks for the answer.

All clear now :sad:

jackw
8th Jan 2011, 23:20
So if your Irish and want to train in the UK would you need to get the English medical or would the Irish medical be sufficent?

Thanks,
Jack

mutt
9th Jan 2011, 06:03
Unfortunately the answer is NO, you cannot do the medical in Gatwick and have it converted to an Irish medical due to the fact that the JAR's state that your INITIAL medical must be from the country of Licence issue.

So if you want to train in Ireland, you need an Irish Medical.
If you want a UK medical, you need to train in the UK.

Renewals are different, you can do them in any country.

The above applies even for your case.

Mutt

jackw
9th Jan 2011, 15:47
Ok was just double checking

Thanks alot,
Jack

go around flaps15
12th Jan 2011, 19:48
I had an Irish class one and when it was up for renewal for the first time (while I was training in the UK) I went to an AME near my flight school and had it renewed. He then contacted the CAA put my details on the system and they(CAA) told him I would have to pay £20 to have it converted to a UK medical certificate( It had to be UK cert for blue book issue). Just a paperwork exercise. All very straight forward stuff.

Hope this helps.

mutt
13th Jan 2011, 16:00
renewal

Note the word above. :):)

Mutt

go around flaps15
13th Jan 2011, 23:50
Basically the point I am trying to make is that when I decided to train to become a pilot I got my INITIAL class one at the Matter in Dublin. I then decided to do my flight training in UK(instead of Ireland). Upon arriving in the UK to commence my training I rang the CAA at Gatwick and asked them would I have to do an INITIAL again with them. They said that I would not have to, however I would have to see a CAA approved AME to briefly examine and register me. They suggested I wait until it was up for the renewal, so I did. But they said I could have had it converted before it was up for renewal if I so wished.

Easiest thing to do is get your initial done in the UK if you are looking for a UK licence and if it's in Ireland you want to train get it done in the Matter in Dublin.

That's what I learned from my experience. Hope I have helped and not confused anyone.

PrestonPilot
8th Mar 2012, 14:58
Can anyone help, according to the IAA website to get a licence from the CAA in Gatwick transferred you have to have "employment or have normal residency" in Ireland. Is this to stop people getting their licences trasferred and for them to make money?
The CAA don't impose this rule.
The reason I ask is because PTC required me to go to Dublin for the IAA medical but because I don't have employment nor will I be living there I have to get an initial with them because they dont allow me to transfer under their rules.
Is this right, has anyone else transferred a UK CAA Medical over to Ireland and had no trouble?
I really need a reply ASAP.
Thanks

Fostex
9th Mar 2012, 19:14
Have a mate who did his CPL(A) at Weston and is in the process of his ME/IR.

He got his JAR Class 1 from Gatwick and contacted the IAA with regards to whether it was valid for his CPL(A) training. He was given a firm no and had to drop a similar amount of money on an IAA JAR Class 1.

As mutt says, the rules are, JAR initial must be in state of licence issue. Stupid but true. :ugh:

GolfTangoFoxtrot
10th Mar 2012, 08:00
Wow this is confusing. So UK to Irish conversion a big no no. How about Irish to UK medical conversion? Seems to be possible?

i.e. I go to Dublin for a medical for PTC don't get on the flybe course, I can convert it to a UK medical with relative ease and then go to say, CTC? (for example):confused: