View Full Version : Currency when in Maun

Boeingdream
26th Nov 2010, 04:04
Hello

So I have made the decision to trek to Maun in Sept 2011 however I am currently not working in the aviation field (due to finances). I have over 600tt with 500PIC hours but by the time I arrive in Maun next year I will not have flown a plane in 14 months.

So the question is will this effect my chances of employment?
Should I do a 2-3hr dual flight before I arrive?

One more question, all my time is on Pipers will this be a problem?

Cheers guys.

Wildpilot
26th Nov 2010, 04:40
No offense to you personally but I did the Maun thing, when I went I called the company's first and left for Africa. It was an adventure and everything was new and I hadn't got every little bit of info from pprune first.

Your currency is not important if you can do a good job on a check ride regardless, if you can't then yes its a problem.

All your time is in Pipers, well depends how well you adapt to a new a/c if you adapt badly then yes it is a problem.

IMHO going to Africa is a big adventure but knowing every little detail on Earth first, again IMHO takes some of that away. It used to be a place where guys and girls with a little more get up and go went for a real flying adventure. Just read some of the questions in the other Maun threads, what sort of tent, what kind of cloths, what should I say to the operators is anyone else going so I can travel with them etc etc.

Nothing personal Boeingdream but maybe to go to Maun you should have Cessna/adventure dream. Good luck

Cardinal Puff
26th Nov 2010, 04:44
Search is your friend...

http://www.pprune.org/african-aviation/433420-maun-botswana-essential-guide.html

Boeingdream
26th Nov 2010, 07:03
Hey mate

Yes I have looked over that thread but I could not find the part that pointed to the point about currency, please help a blind man out in pointing to where it is said.

Thank you

Wildpilot
26th Nov 2010, 09:05
Its so obvious, like I said currency is a problem for you if you cannot perform on the check flight should you get that far.

As for the Piper experience it depends on you, if you can adapt quickley or not.

So no need to search the other threads as the answer is as above mate.

lilflyboy262
26th Nov 2010, 10:18
Would you go into any flight test without doing any practice? Your obviously concerned that this might be a problem. So common sense would dictate that you go and do it!