PDA

View Full Version : World's most travelled man

PAXboy
25th Nov 2010, 23:56
Looks like no one is going to compete with this one for a long time. :D

World's most travelled man reaches 15 million miles - Yahoo! Travel UK (http://uk.travel.yahoo.com/p-promo-3360265)

It would be fascinating to hear his views on:
First / Biz / Coach
CC down the ages
Check-in agents over the years
In flight entertainment
Connections
and all the other things we discuss in here!

Businesstraveller
30th Nov 2010, 11:47
Puts Alan Whicker in his place. Enough miles for an F class ticket to Alpha Centauri do you think?

forget
30th Nov 2010, 12:09
Sorry Fred but I'm not sure about this. 15,000,000 miles at, lets say, 500 mph (using statute miles) that's 30,000 hours. Very few main-line pilots make this during a life time of flying so, for a pax to make it - hmmm.

Mind you, he didn't quit at 65.

Edit: And Fred was not limited to 900hrs a year! A pilot's maximum.

The SSK
30th Nov 2010, 12:11
I have this notion from way back, when his name first came to prominence, that he was an executive in the pencil industry. Struck me as a pretty mundane job for a world traveller.

forget
30th Nov 2010, 12:22
OK, if someone can confirm this (the Phantom bit) then I'll reconsider.

I like 747s and also fighter planes; I've flown with the Red Arrows and was also lucky enough to be on the last ever flight of the Phantom Jet in UK.

World's Most Travelled Man: The Fred Finn Interview. - Tuesday, 30th June 2009 at 4Hoteliers (http://www.4hoteliers.com/4hots_fshw.php?mwi=4178)

PAXboy
1st Dec 2010, 00:49
From the interview:Why do you do so much travelling - business or pleasure?

I worked for multinational companies setting up licenses for companies and governments to manufacture and sell products without the need to import and use up their foreign exchange. This has meant constant travelling around the globe to meet the people involved.
Here is a section pertinent to our forum, although nothing ground breaking:
As the most experienced traveller in the world - what are your top travel tips?

Use hard suitcases - they can be dropped without anything breaking if packed correctly.
Pack clothes in bags like you get from the dry cleaners so your clothes won't crease.
Have a length of twine or string to repair your suitcase handle when it breaks.
Carry a travel adaptor that fits all plugs.
I always take some antibiotics, plasters, and a copy of my prescription for any special medication that I have, in case you get asked what you are carrying.
Don't forget contact numbers for your family in all cases.
Notify your embassy if you're going to be in a foreign country for some time.
Don't take unnecessary risks when travelling. Some people seem to drop their guard when abroad but you should use the same caution as you would at home.

vctenderness
1st Dec 2010, 13:22
I met Fred Finn many, many years ago and even then he had business cards with 'Worlds most travelled man' on them.

He was a really nice chap and very interesting too.:ok:

SNS3Guppy
1st Dec 2010, 17:02
A pilot's maximum.

Perhaps in your neck of the woods.

flyfinn
2nd Dec 2010, 23:03
Just to answer your question I flew on the Phantom Jet at RAF Wattisham with David Gower and Ron Dennis of McClaren and we flew there in the McClaren jet and they had there for the occasion the last Phantom Rolls Royce to take us to the the aircraft hope this answers your query
best wishes
Fred

forget
3rd Dec 2010, 07:46
OK Fred, I'll take your word for it all. You won't need to post pics of every boarding card. :hmm:

Welcome to Prune. There's an interesting Concorde thread going on. You may have something to add.

http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/423988-concorde-question-42.html

WHBM
4th Dec 2010, 11:38
Sorry Fred but I'm not sure about this. 15,000,000 miles at, lets say, 500 mph (using statute miles) that's 30,000 hours. Very few main-line pilots make this during a life time of flying so, for a pax to make it - hmmm.
I seem to recall that when David Frost was doing TV programmes in both London and New York, needing at least one round trip a week on Concorde, he worked out that he was doing more hours than some of the crew !

SpringHeeledJack
4th Dec 2010, 13:19
Passengers not being restricted in any way by flight hours, it is wholly possible for the real road warriors to clock up unbelievable hours in the air. Wasn't there that chap who flew on the BA Concorde several times a week and had a special blanket made to combat the extra radiation exposure at cruising altitude ? I used to be friendly with a chief purser on the AF Concordes and she was restricted by hours per month for the same reasons as the pilots, as an aside.

SHJ