PDA

View Full Version : Go for it!

TBM-Legend
24th Nov 2010, 23:58
The Transport Workers Union (TWU) says some of its members in the aviation industry will receive pay rises of up to 21 per cent, with no productivity tradeoffs.

Forget AIPA eetc join the TWU now.....:E

3 Holer
25th Nov 2010, 00:36
Yes, aircraft re-fuellers,tug drivers etc,.

Pilots - NO WAY!

Chadzat
25th Nov 2010, 00:42
Id advise against the TWU unless you enjoy your union fees going to the ALP as well. Each magazine they send me has a puff piece about the Federal Labor party and how much good it is doing our country. :ugh: :mad:

Jabiman
25th Nov 2010, 00:53
On idealogical grounds, you are advising against an organisation that has just negotiated a 21% pay rise for its members with no productivity tradeoffs
The capitalist system is predicated on each person pursuing their own self interest, so your suggestion really makes no sense.

Capn Bloggs
25th Nov 2010, 01:06
Each magazine they send me has a puff piece about the Federal Labor party and how much good it is doing our country.
C'mon Chazdat, you have to admit that the jokes in The Wheel (borrowed from one of my rabble-rousing TWU mates, of course) are first class! :D

Chadzat
25th Nov 2010, 02:06
I'll pay that Bloggs!

I have no issues with the concept of unions, I think every pilot should belong to at least a pilot association. I object to unions that act as an arm of a political party.

end rant, 21% is indeed a spectacular result.

Horatio Leafblower
25th Nov 2010, 10:25
...and the last pay rise negotiated by the AFAP was... um...

*sound of wind and crickets*

... a fierce defence of the CPI principle? :confused:

Di_Vosh
27th Nov 2010, 10:50
Apples with Apples Horatio

A union is only as strong as it's members.

The TWU represents people who:

DON'T pay their employer to get the qualifications to do their job
WONT work for free
WILL work to rule if directed by their union
WONT come in to work on their day off
WONT undercut their mates to get the next rung up the ladder
STAND UNITED
etc.
The AFAP represents pilots... :ouch:

DIVOSH!

Worrals in the wilds
27th Nov 2010, 19:47
WONT undercut their mates to get the next rung up the ladder
STAND UNITED

Di, you must know different baggies from me :}. Seriously, most are okay but they have their butt kissers and grovellers same as any workplace.

I'm glad to see the TWU is looking after its airport members, because IMHO the advent of independent ground handling companies all chasing a buck and undercutting each other to do so has led to an erosion of ramp safety standards in the last five years.

When so many GHS companies quote so low that they can only afford one (semi) working tug and a couple of rusty old scissor lifts that were used to load the ark, and only half the guys they should be using to do turnarounds who receive as little training as possible (throw the things with handles into the thing with wings is about the limit at one of the larger independents here), something's got to give.