PDA

View Full Version : FAA conversion outside US

Dupre
24th Nov 2010, 15:59
Hi all,

I hold a South African CPL/IR and am investigating converting to FAA PPL/IR (single engine only required) to do some voluntary humanitarian work in an N-reg aircraft.

I am currently in Tanzania and am looking for the lowest cost way to do so. I heard you can do it in Europe, which will probably save on airfare (europe being closer) and avoid the headache of getting into the US for flight training.

Finally, is there a big difference between converting to the PPL or CPL? Can the CPL conversion also be done outside the US? I don't need one, but if it's all the same I'd take it!

Thanks in advance!

Dupre.

B2N2
25th Nov 2010, 13:05
What you are looking for is either a validation based o your SA license or a conversion to a standalone FAA certificate.

Validation is in accordance with 61.75
Electronic Code of Federal Regulations: (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&rgn=div8&view=text&node=14:2.0.1.1.2.2.1.10&idno=14)
This can only be done in the USA. Process is free, just takes some time.
And no you cannot get a CPL this way, PPL with additional ratings only like IR or ME.

For a standalone FAA certificate you will need to come to the US for training and a check ride. This requires a M-1 visa.

But your situation is a little more complex.
to do some voluntary humanitarian work in an N-reg aircraft.
I'm 99% sure that this will require a CPL.
Do the Tanzania Aviation Authorities allow you to fly a N-reg on a Tanzania License? The US doesn't care what certificate you hold flying an N-reg outside of the US, unless the operator requires a FAA Ticket You have to abide by the laws of the country you are flying in. It may be a whole lot quicker to arrange a Tanzania CPL.
What is it MAF?

multycpl
26th Nov 2010, 02:46
You don't need to do a standalone licence in States as long as you can find a FAA instructor and DPE in your country.
You will need to go through TSA.