PDA

View Full Version : Single Engine Turbine time

Jay_solo
24th Nov 2010, 15:58
How do turboprop operators view single engine turbine time? If you fly for an airline that operates the Cessna 208, do you think that turbine time will be useful in applying for a job with a twin turboprop operator? (As a first officer flying Dash-8, ATR, Fokker's, Saab's etc)

ReverseFlight
25th Nov 2010, 05:58
I know of a guy who went to Africa to fly single engine turbines and couldn't get a job beyond that. Same story for C206s and C208s. They call it the "Career Killer". Do conduct your own research to verify this.

SloppyJoe
25th Nov 2010, 06:02
Many many of the guys I fly with started in single engine pistons, usually a 182 or 206 including me. I had 1000 hours with 300 in a caravan at one point and only 30 twin, next step for me was still GA but single pilot twin turboprop. All of these people now are either in the left or right seat of a widebody. Career kill, what a load of bs.

avionimc
25th Nov 2010, 06:04
You would be better off with King Air, Do228 or Twin Otter time.

Guttn
25th Nov 2010, 06:26
How airlines view SE turbine time? It probably depends on what kind of profile they want from their employees. E.g. highly experienced (many types and many hours), somewhat experienced, or fresh out of flightschool.

Personally I would rank SE turbine time alongside ME piston time. No more, no less. In any matter, if you are flying either SET or MEP you are most likely flying the line, which means you are more operational than a FI. Possibly you also will fly IFR, which any seasoned Captain will tell you is good experience to bring along in your flightbag when entering the airlines. :ok:

I flew the C208 for about 4 years, and would do it again. It was an awesome learning experience and gave me some command time as well. This experience also gave me the opportunity to choose between future employers (after succeeding in thier respective interviews), and I chose a DHC8 operator and am still here. I also have absolutely no plans of changing outfits, as it is the T&Cs which are important at the end of the day. :ok:

Oh yeah, don`t forget to have fun on the way. Lots of good old fashioned hands on flying with SET and MEP. :D

SloppyJoe
25th Nov 2010, 07:05
You would be better off with King Air, Do228 or Twin Otter time.

Can't agree more with the above although better still would be A380 PIC time.

ReverseFlight
25th Nov 2010, 07:18
Career kill, what a load of bs.
As I said, SJ, do conduct your own research to verify this. There could be other reasons unknown to us why this guy has been unable to advance his career. Maybe he was impatient to get up to a twin, but who knows. There're loads of pilots out there who're just too happy to get a job. Any job, including single engines.

FGC
25th Nov 2010, 08:40
Definitely more advantageous to have multi time, solely because it is often a prerequisite when applying for regional or airline jobs. C208 time is good, usually modern equipment, and much nicer to fly than many dodgy old piston twins, but it can limit your future options.

Best to have 500 multi in the bank first, but if no twin offers, then certainly take the van. At the very worst, if necessary, you can always move sideways to piston twins in the near future.

flyhighspeed300
3rd Dec 2010, 23:41
If you have less than 700 hours; single man crew flying is not available for you commercially. JAR OPS 1.960 rules.

Flying turboprop is great idea but very costly.
You can fly at Bristol aviation a Super King for £2,000 an hour or a C525 mini business jet for around £2,300 an hour.

http://www.b-f-c.co.uk/type-ratings/ (http://www.b-f-c.co.uk/type-ratings/)

This could be money for renewals or for you to keep flying every month.

I did look at flying turboprop aircraft to get more aviation experience but if you want to fly a king air commercially to earn and money you have to have more than 700 hours (JAR OPS rules). So I ended up not paying for a couple of hours. However I did manage to get some air observer work on a king air. Non log able air time, but great experience if you are lucky to get hold of it.[/font]

Turboprop aircraft would be yes hands down, but they come at a heavy cost. Can you afford to paid £2-5k a month to keep current on a turboprop aircraft knowing if you have less than 700 hours (JAR OPS rules) that you cannot earn any money from flying that aircraft single crew?

If you have the money there are places in the USA that offer flying time on turboprop aircraft. You do need an FAA Licence, which will not take too long to convert.
http://www.keylimeair.com/CharterOverview.asp (http://www.keylimeair.com/CharterOverview.asp)

hope this helps