PDA

View Full Version : Last Harrier Flight from HMS ARK ROYAL

david parry
24th Nov 2010, 12:45
BBC News - Last flight for Ark Royal harrier (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-11830653)

The Helpful Stacker
24th Nov 2010, 12:52
Erm, isn't that footage on the BBC site of a Sea Harrier rather than a GR9?

scudpilot
24th Nov 2010, 13:03
will they keep any flying in a "memorial flight" capacity?

david parry
24th Nov 2010, 13:12
IIRC there was two 800 NAS and two 1(F) Sqdn Harriers embarked

Two's in
24th Nov 2010, 13:15
Erm, isn't that footage on the BBC site of a Sea Harrier rather than a GR9?

Details, details, it's no more or less accurate than any other BBC story. Be grateful they knew not to show a Nimrod.

Al R
24th Nov 2010, 13:25
Petty Officer Andrew Collins, 26, from Glasgow, said: "HMS Ark Royal is like the girlfriend you hate and you only realise you loved her when she has binned you."

Seems like there are still a few ongoing issues there. :ok:

A time for reflection though.. big shame.

Wander00
24th Nov 2010, 14:01
Typical BBC - guy with gold tapes on his shoulder identified as "RAF"!

f4aviation
24th Nov 2010, 14:52
Here's a more relevant link:

Video: Last Harriers leave Ark Royal: key.Aero, Military Aviation (http://www.key.aero/view_news.asp?ID=2783&thisSection=military)

F3sRBest
24th Nov 2010, 15:01
From the article...

its future as uncertain as that of the Harrier fleet itself

.. nope, pretty certain future..... well at least the chinese proverb is true if nothing else...

Squirrel 41
24th Nov 2010, 15:16
This is the video you want from the Beeb's man aboard Ark

BBC News - Tears as last Harrier jets leave Ark Royal (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11830094)

Not a bad effort from the Beeb, I thought.

S41

F3sRBest
24th Nov 2010, 15:23
Just a pity no-one got his rank right!!! :\

newt
24th Nov 2010, 16:23
What, no flypast?:{

XV490
24th Nov 2010, 16:28
Just a pity no-one got his rank right!!!

Yep - but, JFH notwithstanding, it still looks odd to see an RN Lt Cdr sporting a 1(F) Sqn wings patch. But the Beeb should indeed do better with military facts; anyone notice that last night's main BBC News said the Korean War was 50 years ago? :ugh:

sunshine band
24th Nov 2010, 21:35
What, no flypast?

We got one from the Sea Harrier on their last launch from Lusty...;)

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo116/sband/001lowfine1filtered3.jpg

SB

airborne_artist
25th Nov 2010, 06:14
What, no flypast?

I believe that this will take place as she enters Portsmouth on 03 Dec.

Double Zero
25th Nov 2010, 06:30
Helpful Stacker,

You must mean a different shot compared to the short BBC video in the post above yours ? That ain't no Sea Harrier...

There's a reunion / farewell party being organised at the pub outside Dunsfold, where all UK Harriers inc' Seajets were built and test flown.

The chap organising this expressed the hope that at least one or two Harriers may be kept airworthy for display purposes...

My response, sadly, is that there's zero chance of that.

If you see any TV programme on air displays, the devlopment of VTOL, Great British Engineering, you name it, the Harrier is usually called 'favourite' or similar.

So, just as there's no Sea Harrier in the RN Historic Flight as that would have highlighted the Admiralty's folly in binning the Sea Harrier, the 'govt' is hardly likely to want their noses rubbed in a decision which I dearly hope will bite them; sadly if things go pear shaped it won't be them 'making do' though, will it ?

I presume having a carrier without aircraft is just an exaggerated sulk," didn't want your shippy thing anyway ".

tornadoken
25th Nov 2010, 08:25
XV490: Korea/50. Chinese attacked US' Forces on 25/11/50. Beeb was only one decade adrift. (Lor! seems like yesterday!)

ZoomBoot
25th Nov 2010, 09:11
What, no flypast?

We got one from the Sea Harrier on their last launch from Lusty...http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/wink2.gifhttp://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01770/Harrier_1770323b.jpg

Should be some better images to follow...

glad rag
25th Nov 2010, 09:16
If ever there was an iconic FJ aircraft to be added to the BBMF it's the Harrier.

However that is VERY unlikely due to the nature of the beast.

:{

The Helpful Stacker
25th Nov 2010, 15:13
Helpful Stacker,

You must mean a different shot compared to the short BBC video in the post above yours ? That ain't no Sea Harrier...

Double Zero - Having responded 17 hours after I posted I'll give you the benefit of the doubt with regards your post as the video has since been changed.

The original video featured in the link posted by the OP showed a Harrier with a very black and pointy-nose, with Aden cannon pods and just the two pylons per wing, features found on a Sea Harrier (hence my comment).

I was never the most cabbage-like of the crabs but telling the difference between a Sea Harrier and a GR9 is not difficult.

Aim between the eyes
25th Nov 2010, 16:37
glad rag,

That will mainly not be happening owing to the Harrier not flying in the Battle of Britain mate... :rolleyes:

Thone1
25th Nov 2010, 17:42
Today I´ve taken a few pictures of her sailing down the Elbe towards Hamburg. Unfortunatly I cannot attach files to my posts (yet?).

I hope, no I´m sure, the crew will have a great time there.

Cheers,

Thomas

John Farley
25th Nov 2010, 17:44
Interesting point

But if that was the criteria wot about the BBMF's Chipmunk, DC3 and Lancaster?

AV8tour
25th Nov 2010, 17:55
Was driving past Yeovilton this afternoon (1400ish) and saw the 4 GR's that departed Ark Royal yesterday getting airborne from HMS HERON for Cott. Pure fluke on my part but great to have seen the last (tbc) JFH jets depart Yeovs.

BTW, regarding the Harrier II+ thread and AMRAAM somewhere else in this forum, remember folks that the integration and OT&E was done for the Italians and not the USMC.

Ciao

The Helpful Stacker
25th Nov 2010, 18:21
But if that was the criteria wot about the BBMF's Chipmunk, DC3 and Lancaster?

Pilots who have been brought up on a diet of tricycle undercarriaged aircraft need to learn how handle a tail-dragger. The Chippy is a tail-dragging trainer so very suitable to the task or do you suggest letting new pilots to the BBMF loose on their own in a high-performance, single seat aircraft?

The DC3 is likewise used to provide new pilots with experience handling a large, multi-engined tail dragger before letting them loose on one of only two airworthy Lancaster bombers left flying.

But I'm sure an experienced, air-minded person such as yourself doesn't need an ex-stacker to explain this sort of stuff.

The Lancaster? Yes its not strictly a Battle of Britain aircraft and hence, when it joined the Battle Of Britain Flight in 1973, the extra word 'Memorial' was added to the unit's name. Up until that point the Lancaster had been operated by 44 Sqn from RAF Waddington but it was deemed more sensible to have one unit operating all the RAF's historic aircraft.

Seaking93
25th Nov 2010, 18:35
Was driving past Yeovilton this afternoon (1400ish) and saw the 4 GR's that departed Ark Royal yesterday getting airborne from HMS HERON for Cott. Pure fluke on my part but great to have seen the last (tbc) JFH jets depart Yeovs.

4 different aircraft actually, the 4 from Ark returned to Cotts, sad to think will not see a Harrier over VL again, thanks for the memories chaps:D

akerosid
25th Nov 2010, 19:57
A sad day indeed, particularly for all those involved in the Harrier, in whatever role. Few aircraft can be described as iconic, but the Harrier certainly is one. I think it is a decision that will come to be regretted before too long.

JetPhotos.Net Photo » ZG512 (CN: P83) United Kingdom - Royal Air Force (RAF) British Aerospace Harrier GR.9 by John Fitzpatrick (http://jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=549543)

Stitchbitch
25th Nov 2010, 21:32
BBMF stand as a memorial to all who have lost their lives in RAF service, not just WW.2, but right up to the present day. So a Harrier isn't too far fetched, however...as the boss is a Jag man.. :}
Also, a puffer jet probably costs a wee bit more per hour than a Spit. And you'd have to have special flaps on yer boots :E

david parry
26th Nov 2010, 08:14
Think there will be a final flypast on December 15th?? dont know where yet!!! by the Harriers ;)( will find out more and keep you posted) maybe someone else on the Thread might know more?

Double Zero
26th Nov 2010, 08:52
Yes, heard about that too; at a Harrier base beginning with 'C'.

I was told the plan is to get everything possible up.

Mechta
26th Nov 2010, 09:14
Maybe I'm just a cynic, but I do wonder if our government have been 'leaned-on' to get rid of the Harrier a la Miles M52 and TSR2, so that in years to come V/STOL can be portrayed in Hollywood as an all-American idea... :E

One of those marathon Discovery programmes a while back would have had you believe it was all down to McD.:eek:

BTW, Does anyone know why a three-ship Harrier formation did a Farnborough flypast a couple of weeks ago, followed by a singleton the following week? Obviously RAE Farnborough and NGTE Pyestock (next door) had a big part to play in the development, and I just wondered, who or what this might have been to acknowledge in particular.

david parry
26th Nov 2010, 10:20
Also, which i think you all know?? 4 Harrier /Flypast overhead HMS Ark Royal as she enters Pompey for the last time 3rd December ? Reminds me of our last farewell:{ http://usera.imagecave.com/scouse/photo.JPG

Al R
26th Nov 2010, 10:21
Re:#29.

The local rag is reporting that there will be a flypast over Stamford and Oakham on the 15th. 16 jets, timings tbc.

F3sRBest
26th Nov 2010, 11:15
BTW, Does anyone know why a three-ship Harrier formation did a Farnborough flypast a couple of weeks ago, followed by a singleton the following week? Obviously RAE Farnborough and NGTE Pyestock (next door) had a big part to play in the development, and I just wondered, who or what this might have been to acknowledge in particular.

The BAE Systems Harrier team is based at Farnborough.....

The Helpful Stacker
26th Nov 2010, 12:09
Perhaps a fly-over of Hucknall Airfield would be apt?

RileyDove
26th Nov 2010, 14:46
I saw 16 Harriers in a mass hover at Wittering in the 1990s-perhaps the temptation is there to do it again as its bloody impressive!

Mechta
26th Nov 2010, 15:26
The BAE Systems Harrier team is based at Farnborough.....
Silly me, I hadn't thought of that!

I saw 16 Harriers in a mass hover at Wittering in the 1990s-perhaps the temptation is there to do it again as its bloody impressive!

Do the mass hover over the House of Commons; if they're going to take the toys away anyway...

david parry
30th Nov 2010, 18:08
ARK entering Pompey for the first time 25 years ago http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/sailor148/scranbag/HMS_Ark_Royal_enters_Portsmouth_1_July_1985_1024x768_.jpg

Finningley Boy
30th Nov 2010, 18:44
Do the mass hover over the House of Commons; if they're going to take the toys away anyway...

Yes, then let them run out of fuel eject and leave them to drop in the Thames. Disposed of at the same time! Job Done.:}

FB:)

draken55
1st Dec 2010, 08:29
Heres another of Arks' arrival. Great idea to have the Stringbag on deck and thanks to David Hobbs for that.

Does anyone remember Sam Fox prancing around the ship miming to her "single" for a BBC broadcast that day?:O

http://i1084.photobucket.com/albums/j420/draken55/AirBritain013.jpg

kitwe
1st Dec 2010, 11:09
Why Hucknall? I thought "Peggy" came from Bristol.

tyne
1st Dec 2010, 11:31
Little known Anorak fact.

That Stringbag was the first aircraft to be fixed on board ArkR V. Its tail got damaged by a shipyard crane just after it was lifted onto the deck at Walker Naval Yard in Newcastle.

Going to be a sad day to see the end of this ARKR. Almost 32 years to the day that the previous ship made her final port entrance

david parry
4th Dec 2010, 01:14
http://www.navynews.co.uk/Cms/Shop/Images/ResizedImages/10120301ax-2_w600h600.jpg

John Farley
5th Dec 2010, 16:46
That is why I put the word if after but - this implies there are other reasons for aircraft to be on the flight other than they flew in the BoB as earlier poster suggested. Sorry too subtle.

Aim between the eyes
30th Dec 2010, 12:16
John,

Not sure of the criteria for BoB aircraft qualification, especially as you mention the other types. Personally, I think that the name is a great ploy to keep the unit running and funded by the RAF, in the same way as the RN have named the carriers QE and PoW rather than the great names of old such as Ark Royal or Invincible etc. Notwithstanding the contracts old one eye set us up with, the names make them more difficult to cut (not impossible) as it will incite quite a bit of public outcry if it did happen. Whereas the RN FAA have the RNHF, they decided not to have a FA2/FRS1 (on disbandment in 2006) on their books owing to the complexity/cost. The BoB may be able to fund a GR, but not being in those circles I can only speculate. But I would imagine that it would be too costly/complex to run and we know the dangers of lack of currency on such a machine...

Regards,

ABTE

John Farley
30th Dec 2010, 13:08
Sorry - my original post was not meant to be about the Harrier at all, merely a response to another poster who had suggested the reason for not having a type on the BBMF was that it did not fight in the BoB.

As I said, all too subtle sorry!

I see no case to retain a flying version of the Harrier anywhere in the UK.

I do see a case for having eight in the Stan until the UK pull out of there saving refuelling after take off and various other issues with the current type.

But then technical merit never did overcome political expediency.

Admin_Guru
30th Dec 2010, 13:40
I see no case to retain a flying version of the Harrier anywhere in the UK.

I understand that the Boscombe T4 is more like a T24 regarding mod states, but I would expect the QinetiQ chaps to be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a few modern Harrier T birds. Or is that particular line of experimentation also chopped?

Hope the Guatamalians have learnt to behave because without a RN Carrier or a Harrier, Belize is a war looking for a moment in time. Though we tend to forget that and concentrate on the Falklands; sorry, scrub that, we tend to concentrate on Afghanistan (full stop or as my son would say: End of).

120class
30th Dec 2010, 17:00
The VAAC Harrier in question was unique in configuration and flew almost exclusively in support of the JSF programme.

Aim between the eyes
30th Dec 2010, 17:13
John,

I totally agree. There is no finer aircraft in our current (albeit imminently former) arsenal for CAS in Afghanistan IMHO and before all you GR4 fans descend on me like vultures I am talking about an enhancement to the current regime not a replacement. Personally, I think we should have bought (and negotiated a huge discount) a couple of sqns of A10s when the septics asked us to join in. But as you said, rarely has common sense prevailed...

ABTE

Finnpog
30th Dec 2010, 17:26
I do wonder what an A10 would have looked like with roundels.

Just a bigger (crying) shame that the brightest minds in the MoD and Nu Labour thought it a cracking wheeze to bin the Jaguar fleet. There was obviously no strategic requirement or foresight for a rough field CAS / Attack bird in the inventory.

Aim between the eyes
30th Dec 2010, 17:50
Finnpog,

An A10 with roundels would have been simply awesome. The Jag was an amazing aircraft and if I hadn't flown the other single seater (and been dark blue) I would have loved to have had a go.

Forgive me though, apart from the rough field capability didn't it have a very limited payload and what was the turn radius like? Especially hot and high? It would have been quite important to me if I was trying to do CAS in it. Classy jet though and retired with pride.

ABTE

Finnpog
30th Dec 2010, 21:20
ABTE,
I am sure that a WagWah veteran will pop in soon to clarify points. It has clearly done well both in hot and in high places in it's time. It certainly didn't have Starfighter turning (I remember seeing The Vikings hooning those about).

Warload? Well not as many pylons as GR7, but intenal cannon and overwing AAM freed up the underside.

I agree wholeheartedly about the classy last touchdown.