PDA

View Full Version : UAE Loses Hawk In RAK

Farrell
23rd Nov 2010, 06:54
Hawk down in the UAE.

No further details.

moggiee
26th Nov 2010, 17:45
Al Ain based aeroplane, flew into a hillside, I believe.

JockMcToff
26th Nov 2010, 22:08
Was reported in the UAE's 'The National':

(Was a Mk 102 variant)

Pilot killed as air force jet crashes
Kareem Shaheen

Last Updated: Nov 23, 2010

An air force training jet aircraft crashed in Ras al Khaimah yesterday killing the pilot.

The Hawk hit a hillside during a routine training exercise.

Although the aircraft is a two-seater, only one person was aboard when it crashed.

Witnesses from a nearby village said the crash happened at about 1pm in Wadi Hulailah, about 5km from the north Oman border.

Residents, who often see military aircraft in the area, reported seeing a large amount of smoke and fire from the crash site.

RAK Police set up a road block to prevent anyone from getting near the crash site while investigations into the crash got under way.

The Hawk is a British-built advanced training jet, produced by BAE Systems.

The rear seat is raised, allowing a clear view for an instructor.

More than 900 Hawks have been built and are in use with the UK's Royal Air Force (RAF), and the air forces of many other countries, including Saudi Arabia, India, Kuwait, Oman, Canada, Switzerland and Australia.

The Hawk has had a good safety record since it entered service with the RAF more than 30 years ago. The aircraft is famous as the one used by the Red Arrows, the crowd-pleasing air-show display team of the Royal Air Force, familiar at international air shows and public exhibitions.

A variant, the Goshawk, is in wide use with the United States Navy and is used for aircraft carrier training.

moggiee
27th Nov 2010, 05:35
The word around here is CFIT.

taxydual
27th Nov 2010, 07:01
Unusual. The normal Arab excuse is CTIF.

VinRouge
27th Nov 2010, 08:46
Thats a little below the belt. All the UAE chaps I have met are very experienced and very professional.

I wonder what your thoughts would be if an arab made such a comment on an RAF cfit event, which, if I am not mistaken, has happened a few times?

Dengue_Dude
27th Nov 2010, 09:19
Oh come on guys - it's the way many of us deal with losing colleagues and friends - black humour.

We always thought the last message on the GPWS was always 'Whoop whoop - too late'.

You can have a go at me now . . .

50+Ray
28th Nov 2010, 14:24
Rumour only - but this is a rumour network. Student had just finished the course. Serious questions should be asked about authorisation and the guy who led.

jindabyne
28th Nov 2010, 14:52
Why ----- ?

Gulfstreamaviator
29th Nov 2010, 04:01
thats all I wanted to say, but rules is rules.

if they can perform at RED FLAG, they can not be that bad.

sudden thought, I have been in TWR in RAK, and heard these students, "getting lost", nothing else to add.

glf

Trenchard Brat
15th Dec 2010, 11:16
I spent 5 years at the Air College in Al Ain and can testify that you would not want to go to war with these guys, they are proffesional and well trained (most of the instructors where ex western instructors) they are not the cartoon characters you make them out to be.....in fact one guy was an exchange pilot at RAF Valley with CFS .....says it all really
just as the RAF is drawing down there Air Force is growing to be the most modern and capable in the region.......dont underestimate them

MrBernoulli
15th Dec 2010, 11:21
I spent 5 years at the Air College in Al Ain and can testify that you would not want to go to war with these guys, ....TB, you just wrote that you would not want to go to war with these folk. I suspect you meant you would not wish to be at war against them?

Trenchard Brat
15th Dec 2010, 11:24
correct.........please excuse my bad use of the English language:uhoh:

green granite
15th Dec 2010, 14:22
That's a moot point MrBernoulli the phrase "The country is at war with Germany" was used during the 2nd WW.

moggiee
15th Dec 2010, 14:31
I spent 5 years at the Air College in Al Ain and can testify that you would not want to go to war with these guys, they are proffesional and well trained (most of the instructors where ex western instructors) they are not the cartoon characters you make them out to be.....in fact one guy was an exchange pilot at RAF Valley with CFS .....says it all really
just as the RAF is drawing down there Air Force is growing to be the most modern and capable in the region.......dont underestimate them

If they're so good, why do we have to ground all other aeroplanes at Al Ain (to keep them safe) whenever one of these guys is flying solo?