PDA

View Full Version : What was an average Spitfire / Hurricane Pilot paid during WW2 ?

stilton
23rd Nov 2010, 06:13
Any ideas what an average rank fighter Pilot on these types was paid then ?

henry crun
23rd Nov 2010, 07:06
It would have made no difference what type this pilot flew, fighters, bomber, training, coastal, etc,............rank was the deciding factor.

I would not like to even have a guess at what the average rank in Fighter Command was over the period 1939-1945.

FantomZorbin
23rd Nov 2010, 07:16
... whatever it was, it wasn't enough. With great respect.

Hipper
23rd Nov 2010, 08:22
Some clues to set the ball rolling:

http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/general/19948-wages-paid-during-ww2.html

pasir
23rd Nov 2010, 08:24
Although unable to provide a specific answer but speaking from memory
a new army recruits basic pay would be approx 14 shillings per week

an AC2 air-gunner would be paid 17 shillings and sixpence extra on qualifying - bringing total weekly pay to approx £1 - 12 shillings weekly.

Married men usually had a small extra allowance.

The average civilian mans wage was £3 and 10 shillings.

Although not absolutely sure - beleived a US army private serving in
the UK in 1942 was paid around £9 weekly ! It is said that GI joes pay
was higher than that of a British army lieutenant.

Some typical prices you would pay in 1939 - 45

Rent of 3 bedroomed house - under £1
240 weekly newspapers 1p each - £1
About 12 or more cinema tickets - £1
about 80 pints of milk - £1

As stated the above is from memory only - others may be able to provide more accurate figures.

PS In the film "The way to the Stars" starring John Mills as an
RAF Pilot he does state the pay of a married RAF pilot
officer.

Robert Cooper
24th Nov 2010, 15:12
I believe RAF Aircrew Segeants pay per day was:
Air Gunner 7s
Wireless Air Gunner and Radio Operator 7s 9d
Air Observer 12s 6d
Pilot 12s 6d

Had that jotted down in my archives but can't remember the source!

Bob C

Tankertrashnav
24th Nov 2010, 17:27
Interesting that different aircrew categories received a different rate of flying pay.

Got the makings of a whole new thread there!

virgo
24th Nov 2010, 19:59
Lovely story of Gunnery-leader's attempts to get air-gunners to volunteer for the "tail-end Charlie" position.................the most vulnerable position in the aircraft.
Leader.........."You'll get an extra 6d a day........"
Gunner........."How much is that a month ?"
Leader........."Dunno, we've never had one last that long !"

Dave Clarke Fife
25th Nov 2010, 10:54
Bit of info here, appertaining to sergeant aircrew pay rates.................................

Raf Recruit Aircrew 1940 Aircrew (http://www.aviationancestry.com/Recruitment/RafRecruit/RafRecruit-Aircrew-1940-11.html)

Avitor
25th Nov 2010, 11:17
Not as much as US Mustang, B17...pilots were paid. :)

stilton
26th Nov 2010, 05:30
What was the expression, overpaid, oversexd and over here..:E ?

Dan Winterland
26th Nov 2010, 06:18
Geoffrey Wellum in his book 'First Light' mentions he was getting five quid a week as a Plt Off in 1940.

pasir
26th Nov 2010, 06:23
and their instant comeback -

- 'Under sexd - underpaid '-
(and heres the bit that really hurt )- 'and Under Eisenhower' !

ColinB
26th Nov 2010, 09:58
It may interest you to know the cost of one of the aircraft.

diary (http://www.the-battle-of-britain.co.uk/machines/Spitcost.htm)

26er
26th Nov 2010, 10:51
I doubt that pay rates had changed from 1945 until I was called up for NS in Nov 1949. I was fortunate to be given pilot training. At No 1 ITS Wittering, transferring to Jurby at Easter 1950, my pay was 4 shillings/day which after deductions became about £1-5-0/week. Remember barrack damages?

We then moved to 6 FTS Ternhill and became Officer Cadet Pilot 4s on £1-15-0/week, this money being payed directly into my bank account. I seem to remember that on starting on the Harvard in Dec '50 it became £2-2-0/week and on being commissioned in May 1951 it was about £5-0-0 a week. I can't remember particularly worrying about the pay as it was such a thrill to be flying and I suspect we would have done it all for nothing, mad idiots that we then were. I do remember on going to the Vampire OCU at Chivenor being told that the civilian bowser drivers were paid more than we pilots.

In 1952 I rejoined the RAF on a short service commission. In April 1956 pay was considerably increased, according to rumour because of problems most officers had with bank managers and overdrafts. You could be court martialled if you exceeded an agreed overdraft.

At that time the squadron I was on was nominated as a Quickfire unit meaning we were at readiness to deploy at short notice to warmer climes, and were given a tropical kit allowance of about £40. This immediately disappeared and when the call unexpectedly came in Aug '56 there was a rush to Milletts to buy war surplus KD on the cheap. What a scruffy lot!

Wander00
26th Nov 2010, 15:12
Whatever it was, it was not enough, nor for all the other, ie Bomber and Coastal etc, aircrew.

pasir
26th Nov 2010, 16:04
... It was interesting to learn from 26ER that in 1951 a commissioned pilot officer RAF was on £5 per week - At the same time in 1951 while serving in the Signal Corps during the Malayan emergency we N/S squaddies were also on the same rate - £5 weekly !

On enlistment in 1950 our basic pay being around £1 per week - after the usual deductions for barrack room damages.