PDA

View Full Version : The Dreaded Indian Medical for Expats has arrived.

flightknight
22nd Nov 2010, 16:52
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Medical-checks-for-foreign-pilots-now-a-must/articleshow/6951291.cms

rahulred5
22nd Nov 2010, 17:21
Instead of everybody clamouring for expats to have the ridiculous air force standard Indian medicals why not clamour for the medicals to be on par with other CIVIL medical examinations around the world instead of the this bureaucratic mess which is the DGCA Class 1 medical.

screwballburling
22nd Nov 2010, 18:58
My advice to you guys down there, is not to sit it. If you all stood together, they would have to rescind this idiotic directive.

As pilots of course will never stick together on anything, then I guess it is everyone for themselves.

I think the body count will be high, for the ones that sit the examination.

weido_salt
23rd Nov 2010, 04:20
This will be interesting. They will probably finish up having not enough pilots to man the schedules. The employers, should have started recruiting people at the CWG., to fly in India. They would have found some of the participants with at least a PPL, and be extremely fit. Being extremely fit is most important is it not? Let them get on with it is their train set. If the authorities want to continue dragging aviation in India, back into the dark ages, let them.

nikaviator
23rd Nov 2010, 05:35
I hope the medical standards to abide by is the Indian renewal standards, not initial! I didn't see that mention in the CAR, like it was in the draft. It would be very unfair for seniors who have flown 1000's of hours with valid foreign medical to be subjected to initial medical standards. "On par with that of their Indian counterparts", this should mean renewal standards and initial medical if needed , should be taken just for reference. Simply ridiculous.

itsbrokenagain
23rd Nov 2010, 08:48
But the CAR has been reworded so its now only for incoming expats to fly under the FATA is what I am told and how I read it.

You can clearly see it too as previously is was mentioned that even for renewing the FATA a Class 1 at renewal level was needed, this has now been removed and its only mentioned for the initial application. I guess they dont want a sudden exodus of all the expats flying in India at the moment.

And tell me how was the AIX crash attributed to the pilots foreign medical ..? :hmm:

nikaviator
23rd Nov 2010, 18:56
In the previous CAR incoming pilots would have been subjected to renewal medical standards, actually in this CAR they did not mention whether initial or renewal standards will be applied... so I hope it will be renewal medical standards.

As for the expats presently flying under FATA, I have no idea how the DGCA are going to play it at FATA renewal time, coz the old CAR is no longer there for them to refer to! Only the present one. They have changed this CAR twice now in a space of a few months, wouldn't be surprised if another draft pops up real soon.

Auschick
23rd Nov 2010, 23:39
I think running 20kms/day wouldn't even get me through that medical, I can only imagine the dramas

screwballburling
10th Feb 2011, 02:45
Come on guys and gals. Someone must have sat this medical examination by now. Anyone willing to offer any feed back?

itsbrokenagain
10th Feb 2011, 08:21
I am friends with 2 expats, both going for their medicals first week of March. I know of 2 people who said WTF and just left as soon as they received their last paycheck before the medical, and one guy who failed based on his so called irregular heart rhythm (even though he passes the FAA ECG test !)

What I hear from the 2 about to do it I will tell ya, one guy has his BMI in obese(which aint that hard, its a stupid old thing using BMI alone) so lets see

sunny441
10th Feb 2011, 16:07
The Dreaded Indian Medical for Expats has arrived.

Nothing that a few dollar bills under the table cannot sort out.

weido_salt
11th Feb 2011, 04:30
....and if the fails don't inform their respective authorities, you can be sure the DGCA will. Ask yourselves this, "do I need be out of a job and have a "damaged" license, by sitting this medical?"

Did deep enough and you will find something on us all.

Proceed with caution uppermost.

itsbrokenagain
11th Feb 2011, 07:30
Weirdo... who are you kidding with the stupid post "you can be sure the DGCA will"

If you had any idea or dealings with real aviation authorities you would not post such ridiculous posts, simply not going to happen and we all know what the FAA and EASA/JAA authorities think of the DGCA! Funny guy.....:{

weido_salt
11th Feb 2011, 10:45
Hi Broken

Seems to me you advocate the failures withhold the information from their licensing authorities. Jolly good.

Just how much information I do wonder, have you withheld, in your vast experience of dealing with real authorities?

"Funny?!" I fail to see any humour what so ever, in dealing with any authority.

Starbuck69
11th Feb 2011, 12:31
Going by the size of the Kingfisher captain checking in at the hotel in Hong Kong this mng, I assume he has not sat this medical....aah but he was a local...couldnt even do his jacket up.

sunset_contrails_10
11th Feb 2011, 12:38
when i work out at the gym and the fitness trainers run on the treadmill and ten kilometers an hour. Working on the benchpress at 165 pounds....and these guys are the fitness trainers?

Guys i fly with dont even work out at all. How are any of them passing these so called tests every six months.

Norm Sanson
18th Feb 2011, 11:33
This thread has gone ominously quiet. Nobody is saying a dickie-bird. :oh:

Canuck15
22nd Feb 2011, 02:59
OK
heres the scoop...

I just did my Indian Class one medical ...All of the required test like bio chem tmt eeg abdo scan were all done prior to getting the medical done , they also did some of the test at the medical itself ...I DONT KNOW WHAT THE BIG FUSS IS ABOUT ...
The docs were pretty good as far as mine went and their attitude is to get you outta here with a cat 1 in your hands ...mine started at 0800 and i was out by 1300 witha medical in hand ...if you want any more info please pm me ..i will be glad to give you the details ..

HAPPY LANDINGS

icarosgr
22nd Feb 2011, 11:59
I guess the fact that when you fly on a validation, your medical should issued by the issuing authority that your license is issued.
If DGCA decides to give Indian licenses to expats ( allowing basically the right for transferring from one type to another which means more and more expats will be coming) then i can accept that .
I did hear from couple of my buddies that it's not a big deal the medical. Have you seen some of the senior commanders ( indian nationals) over there...extremely overweight, and i doubt they can pass any fitness test...
Oh well !!!!!!

HiAltFlyer
23rd Feb 2011, 07:46
I went through the medical. Everyone was very courteous and professional. The eyes where dilated and checked in detail. Of course the hearing was tested. ENT also took a look at us. Since I am over 60, a thread mill test was required. This I had done at an outside clinic. My BMI is over 29, so I got a echocardiogram. Spleen, liver and kidney checked.
My suggestion, dress properly and be respectful. No funny jokes especially with the Colonel , the optomalogist
Good luck

strummerdude
8th Mar 2011, 06:55
From what Im hearing around Jetairways is that out of the 7 to go for their medical 5 have failed. One spicejet pilot was sent home to have his ears cleaned due excess earwax. One Jet expat failed even though his condition was treatable with medicine cleared by mumbai doctor. I won't give out the health issues but they were minor.
Most expats now are looking for jobs to have in their back pocket as an insurance policy. I have my Indian medical soon and Im looking.....I also have no major health issues. As with most issues here it's a crap shoot...some people fly through with no issues some people have nothing but trouble.
It is getting extremely difficult to work in India as an expat. The red tape is getting longer, thicker and more difficult to cut. This Indian Medical is just the latest problem.
The airlines are in a difficult position!! If they decide not to pay the pilots that fail untill they are "healed" then they will lose them and will no doubt have to start parking airplanes because they won't be able to replace the failed pilots with new pilots fast enough.
It's very common to have a new hire sit around the hotel for a month doing nothing waiting for DGCA paperwork.
If you're thinking of coming to India to work give it some serious thought. If you have any minor health issues you may just end up on a aircraft home after 2 or 3 months!!