PDA

View Full Version : raf? navy? neither?

Hannah222
20th Nov 2010, 12:47
I'd love to be a pilot and have been googling possible ways of doing this. My options seem to be scholarship, raf, navy or pay myself. However, we can't afford to sponser me ourselves (as many people can't) so that's out and getting a scholarship is incredibly competitive- but I'll still apply. Which leaves the forces. We had a talk in school the other day with the navy and raf people there and I think the navy seemed more appealing to me which sounds silly as I want to fly. Originally I was completely against the forces as I ddidn't want to fight or go to war but then we were told girls aren't allowed to fight on the front line which means I wouldn't bomb people would I? I joined air cadets and like the drill and stuff we do there but am worried about the fitness thing as I don't do much sport!! So...my questions are- If I join the army or navy in 3 years time ( after I've been to sixth form) what sort of things would I do? How hard is the military life? Is it competitive to get the pilot jobs? Any advice (preferably positive!) would be geat :) x

Pontius Navigator
20th Nov 2010, 12:59
Originally I was completely against the forces as I ddidn't want to fight or go to war but then we were told girls aren't allowed to fight on the front line which means I wouldn't bomb people would I?

Don't confuse Army frontline with frontline in the Services.

In the Army you could be a battery commander in the Royal Artillery.
In the RAF you could have been a missile commander controlling launch of a surface to air missile.
In the RN you are all of one company and sink or swim together.

As aircrew you could be the gunner on a helicopter or the pilot strafing people or dropping torpedoes on a submarine.

Killing is intrinsic to everything in the Services. If that does not fit with your beliefs then it is not for you.

I joined air cadets and like the drill and stuff we do there

Good.

but am worried about the fitness thing as I don't do much sport!!

Not good - I won't expand except say to read all the OASC sticky.

Is it competitive to get the pilot jobs?

1:1000 or worse.

Positive advice? Examine your conscience. Read the sticky.

Wholigan
20th Nov 2010, 16:18
Time to read the sticky at the top now. Good luck.

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/405176-oasc-candidates-wannabes-please-read-thread-first-new-thread.html