PDA

View Full Version : Do Emirates consider Turboprop as Jet?

james p
20th Nov 2010, 00:44
Gday Team,

the bulk of my flying experience is on P3 Orion aircraft and I'm wondering if this counts towards the 'multi engine jet' requirements for recruitment as a FO with Emirates..?

Any help much appreciated, Cheers.

skyvan
20th Nov 2010, 00:59
Not at all, sorry.

Things change all the time at Emirates, but the jet time requirement seems to be fairly cast in stone at the moment. When you fill in the application online, it will ask you for your jet-time, and on which type. Without a recognised jet type in there, it will probably not even be seen by a human recruiter.

Good luck.

protectthehornet
20th Nov 2010, 02:41
for whatever it is worth, the first plane I flew on was the L188 Electra. Right on the briefing card it said: JETPROP

while I'm having a bit of fun here, a P3 is a big, compicated plane and is worth considering in hiring

put it in there, what the **** and why do you want to leave America?

DA50driver
20th Nov 2010, 02:52
WA might be outside the US. Based on the gday and cheers I would say Western Australia?? I left the US because there are no good flying jobs to be found and that social security will be tapped out after the baby boomers bleed that dry as well.

Old Fella
20th Nov 2010, 03:25
JP The best people to give you a definitive answer regarding how they view P3 time would be Emirates. If they are like most airlines they would be looking to employ potential aircraft commanders. If you held a command on a P3 I would suggest that the fact that the P3 is a turbo-prop powered aircraft, rather than a turbo-jet, would be of little consequence. Your overall experience and skill levels, as well as inter-personal qualities are what should be important along with how you would handle living as an expat in the U.A.E. Go for it, nothing ventured - nothing gained.

doubleu-anker
20th Nov 2010, 03:34
Old Fella

Agree with you there.

Goodness me, we are only talking about power plants here, not skills. Wide body nonsense is the same. Just nonsense.

TP time is certainly a good time and is relevant time and a TP is less simple than a TJ to operate IMHO.

clear to land
20th Nov 2010, 10:31
The recruitment parameters at EK are very clearly stated on the Emirates website. At present (everything is subject to change in EK), you MUST have JET (ie not T/P) time. They are getting enough applicants with jet time that they can keep this 'recruitment filter' in place. Although I think this policy is costing us quality applicants, that is how it is, and will not change until recruitment can't keep bringing in 32 'experienced' jet drivers a month!. Sorry. :ugh:

Airbubba
20th Nov 2010, 14:57
And, if you do get called for the EK interview, be prepared to explain the difference between pitchlock and NTS.:)

Old Fella
21st Nov 2010, 03:04
Why would EK want anyone to explain the difference between "pitch-lock" and NTS? Neither are fitted to turbo-jets. :ugh:

james p
21st Nov 2010, 04:49
thanks for the responses gents.

I have a few years before I'm in a position to apply so hopefully by then they'll have realised that if you can describe the difference between pitchlock and NTS you should be able to get your head around most things!

for all the whingeing about EK on this site, it does still seem to be one of the better airlines when it comes to looking after their people and if they keep acquiring new jets at the indicated rate I reckon they'll have to cast the net wider..

Bokkenrijder
21st Nov 2010, 08:57
Photos: Lockheed P-3ACH Orion Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net (http://www.airliners.net/photo/Chile---Navy/Lockheed-P-3ACH-Orion/1464058/L/)

I totally fail to see how anyone can call a P3 Orion a "jet..." James, I think you need new glasses! :ugh:

Regarding the EK jet hours requirement I definitely agree with EK's policy!

I regularly fly with people who only had military T/P experience before making the transition to an airline widebody (B744) jet, and for many that is just one bridge too far with regards to both energy and cockpit management. The only real positive thing about (4 engine) T/P experience: N-1 in the sim! ;)

Go fly a few thousand hours of medium (short haul!) jet with a real airline and learn the trade of civilian jet flying. It will make your life and EK's life a lot easier, and since they are paying the bills they put this requirement in place.

de facto
21st Nov 2010, 09:05
Bokken,

Id love to fly with you one day...not:rolleyes:

Pontius
21st Nov 2010, 09:30
Bokkenrijder,

Your posting only makes me think one thing: what a male hen:rolleyes:

I agree that EK's requirement equals jet and that TPs don't count, however, the rest of your writing is utter tosh.

I regularly fly with people who only had military T/P experience before making the transition to an airline widebody (B744) jet, and for many that is just one bridge too far with regards to both energy and cockpit management.

The fact that you 'regularly fly' with these people in your, wow, B744 ***JET*** means they did make the transition and it wasn't a bridge too far.

Captaincy, crew management, flying skills, intelligence, customer focus, initiative and common sense are qualities that any airline will look for. There are many military and non-military pilots who can amply demonstrate these skills WITHOUT having flown a jet and James P MAY well be able to do so in droves. As it stands, at the moment, he will not be given the opportunity until EK's pilot shortage becomes worse and they change their requirements (just as many carriers have done in the past and will do so again) but the other skills are far more important than the amazing abilities that only the wonder boy jet pilots have. Jets are easy and all this horsesh*t about amazing speeds etc is just that.....it's just a number on the speed tape/dial and does not require rocket science :=

For the record, yes I fly jets. Yes, they are, gosh, widebody. Yes, I've got quite a few hours on the B744 (jet). Yes, I'm a captain. Yes, I'm ex-military. Yes, I flew jets there, too. No, I have nothing to do with EK (passed their selection but went elsewhere if you're really interested).

doubleu-anker
21st Nov 2010, 09:58
Bokkenrijder

I am quite over come (trembling at the knees and wet knickers) at being in the presence (Same forum) of such an accomplished aviator and "God of the sky".

For the uninitiated and the "great unwashed". With reference to speed, yes most jets get through the air a bit quicker. However speed is relative. The most important to be aware of is: "Time to station". Manage that and one can manage anything, that flies and is manageable.

Bokkenrijder
21st Nov 2010, 10:55
The thing is, EK probably doesn't have these requirements in place without a good reason.

Perhaps the real "Gods of the sky" on this thread should visit the Emirates recruitment department, slam their fist on the table and tell them what their hiring policy should be according to their superior believes! ;) :ok:

Sorry, but nobody can't put lipstick on a pig by suggesting a P3 is even remotely close to a jet! It isn't, sorry!

The fact that you 'regularly fly' with these people in your, wow, B744 ***JET*** means they did make the transition and it wasn't a bridge too far.As a matter of fact, the company I work for has since then changed the minimum requirements and now only wants people with jet experience due to the poor (past and present) performance of these T/P guys. The combination of less military T/P transport and more civilian jet experience has greatly improved the overall level of (sim) performance and drop out rate of people who didn't make the training or upgrade in our company. Sorry, but the statistics don't lie which is something most airlines have figured out and is reflected in their hiring policy.

Long haul flying is not your typical operation where one can learn how to fly a jet with 20-30 take offs/landings per year. That's why most long haul companies want the appropriate level of experience, which has nothing to do with being a "God of the skies."

Lord Spandex Masher
21st Nov 2010, 12:16
aeroplanes made to be flown by men

Definitely, if I remember rightly there was quite a lot of erm...resistance...in the aileron rigging.

Or was that something else? Age is confusing.

parabellum
21st Nov 2010, 19:11
When I worked for a charter operator in UK we recruited both ex military jet pilots and ex C130 pilots.

The C130 pilots usually made a seamless transition, being well up to speed with the crew concept and adjusting to the different airraft speeds very quickly whilst some of the ex military jet pilots could handle very well, (though not always as one would wish a commercial jet transport to be handled!), but had little or no idea about the multi crew aspect and had to be trained out of the one armed bandit regimen.

Old Fella
21st Nov 2010, 23:21
In terms of power plants the biggest difference between a P3 and a B747 is one is a turbo-prop and the other a turbo-fan. Essentially, one has an un-ducted propeller and the other has a ducted-propeller. Both derive the bulk of their thrust from the cold stream mass air flow. As for the comments of Bokkenrijder regarding the merits of those with only civil flying experience v's ex-military pilots he is talking from his fundamental orifice. As others have said, speed is a relative thing. Some of the people with whom I have flown would be hard pressed to keep up with a Tiger Moth. Thankfully the vast majority, whether from military or civil backgrounds, possesed great flying skills, held respect by being mindful of the contribution made by other crew members and did not need to have "I am greater than thou" attitude. Most of us understood the responsibility held by the Captain and never even questioned from whence he came. No Bokkenrijder, a P3 is not a pig but a very able and fast aircraft which in it's role is a much more demanding aircraft to fly than your B747 flying regular scheduled flights. I am reluctant to call anyone a "pompous git", but in your case I make an exception. :ugh:

Rat Catcher
22nd Nov 2010, 07:35
Old fella...:ok::ok::ok::D:D:D
People so often forget where they started:rolleyes:

JW411
22nd Nov 2010, 08:25
I too think he is talking garbage. I went from the Short Belfast to the DC-10 without the slightest problem. Energy management is not a difficult concept to grasp for even an average military pilot.

james p
26th Nov 2010, 23:18
Wow, never expected this thread to turn into a pissing contest!

I was more just wondering if there are the official requirements on the site and then maybe exceptions to the rule for certain cases, if you can somehow circumvent the electronic application process.

In any case, I have a few years left flying the old P3 and will endeavour to put aside thoughts of what a pathetic wimp of an aircraft it is when I am flying around at 100' (and yes, up to 405kts, but only on special occasions;))

Either way I suspect it will be a very different employment environment in the not too distant future, and supply and demand will dictate who is the dog and who is the hydrant..

Thanks Gents!

Hedge36
27th Nov 2010, 03:18
Good luck, JP. Now would you talk to somebody about getting me less fast-mover traffic and more P3 noise over my house on Cap Sante, please :ok: