PDA

View Full Version : Renewal of SPA ME IR

Alfie Stenloop
19th Nov 2010, 15:28
Gent's,

Just a quick post to hopefully clarify the requirements for IR(A) renewal. Having emailed and phoned the Campaign Against Aviation, I have now received conflicting information regarding what's required :ugh:. As a quick brief; I completed my SPA ME IR initial in July 2008 and have maintained throughout the period a Green Military Procedural SPA ME IR. Now the question I asked was - Do I need to fly a renewal with a Civi examiner or can I renew my Civi SPA ME IR on the production of a valid F166? Hopefully someone out there has already resolved this issue with the CAA and can maybe offer some advice.

Thanks in anticipation. :ok:

Trim Stab
19th Nov 2010, 16:56
Do you really mean "renew"? Or do you mean "revalidate"?

Alfie Stenloop
20th Nov 2010, 18:14
Well this is the question. As I haven't completed a civil IR since my initial, but maintained a Mil IR thoughout, can I just revalidate/renew on production of a Form166? LASORS, aren't very clear and the examiner that I have booked isn't sure either. Has anyone Mil side jumped through this hoop with the CAA yet? :confused:

BEagle
20th Nov 2010, 18:51
As I haven't completed a civil IR since my initial, but maintained a Mil IR thoughout, can I just revalidate/renew on production of a Form166?
No. Your military IR merely defines the period upon which the civil IR renewal requirements are based:Renewal of an IR (A)
The requirements to renew an IR(A) are based on the
period of time elapsed since the rating expired i.e.
calculated from the date of expiry of the most recent IR(A)
proficiency check entered in the licence.

However, where IR privileges have been exercised
in another category of aircraft (i.e. UK/JAR IR(H)) or
under the privileges of an ICAO licence (Aeroplanes and
Helicopters) or under a UK military IR qualification (fixedwing
or rotary), the renewal requirements will be based on
the expiry date of that IR.

• To renew an IR(A) that has expired by less than
5 years, applicants must complete Section 3b of
Appendix 3 to JAR-FCL 1.240, including the flight
preparation, as a Skill Test with an authorised
examiner.

'Authorised examiner' in this context means a civil examiner authorised to conduct IR revalidations/renewals - it doesn't mean a CAA Staff Examiner.

Yes, I agree that it's utterly absurd, but I'm afraid that's the way it is...

Alfie Stenloop
20th Nov 2010, 21:19
Thanks BEagle,

That clears that one up.

Regards :ok: