PDA

View Full Version : Getting into Ferry Flying

RWY_31R
19th Nov 2010, 14:10
If you want to get into ferry flying, and have 200-500 hours TT (FAA CPL-ME-IR piston time), is it possible that some ferry pilot companies would allow you to fly right seat alongside an experienced Ferry Pilot, to build your experience? (very likely unpaid or on an expenses only deal)

Lets presume that the flying involves single pilot props (king airs, PC-12's) and High performance pressurized pistons across the pond (USA-Europe etc)

And out of curiosity, if anyone has done it full time, on average how many trips do you do monthly/annually?

(I do kindly ask to please don't go off topic into whether ferry flying is dangerous, is a reliable gig in terms of income or flying hours etc. I just want to know if thats the best way in for a low houred pilot and roughly how many trips a year/month is average for a ferry pilot Thanks :ok: )

500 above
19th Nov 2010, 14:25
Hi there

Firstly, I'm not a ferry pilot. I have had a few friends (alive and departed) in the business, and happen to know of a few occasions that they have taken right seateds along as an insurance pre-requisit prior to them taking an aircraft across the pond by themselves. However, these guys all have substantially more time in the log than 200 hours!

Would you as a private owner of a brand new Cirrus want a 200 hour Newbie taking it across? Forget single pilot King Airs with that total time also, I'd have thaught insurance would require a minimum of 2000 hours plus supervised sectors for that. Maybe you could however go to the local flying club and pick up some right seat experience on shorter European IFR trips with someone with a bit of time doing such?

We all had 200 hours in the logbook at one time - persevere and the numbers will ascend!

Good luck.

RWY_31R
19th Nov 2010, 14:39
I just want to clarify something, The low houred pilot is obviously not the PIC in these single pilot certified aircraft, (these aircraft would easily be allowed and insured to cross the pond with an appropriately experienced PIC flying by themselves).

Basically, the the scenario is the PIC ferry pilot who would obviously have 1000's of hours and experience on type, would fly with a co-pilot with a few hundred hours.

Are you saying that even in a single pilot king air, meridian, C421, or even a C172, taking a low houred pilot as an optional co-pilot in the right seat, would be deemed un-insurable??

:confused:

500 above
19th Nov 2010, 20:29
Hello again

You said it... They are all single pilot certified. Personally, on an extended over water flight I'd rather have a life raft in/ in place of the right hand seat in a single piston than a 'student' ferry pilot. In a turbine twin, no problem as long as the insurance firm did not stipulate operating crew only.

You have no need to clarify that the low hours guy/ girl would indeed not be the PIC in a single pilot King Air. I know the insurance requirements for the B200 in our fleet. There is no such thing as a co-pilot on a single pilot aircraft. An "optional" co-pilot would not form part of any insurance requirement, but you may well find that passengers (which you would most probably be deemed in a single pilot aircraft) are not permissable on such flights.

Why don't you contact people in the business directly? There are a few on here. FerrypilotDK flys King Airs across the pond.

Where is your local airfield?

Good luck.

RWY_31R
20th Nov 2010, 07:24
Everyone's experience is different i guess. One experienced ferry pilot I contacted said it would not be a problem carrying a co-pilot/safety pilot/relief pilot on a single pilot turbine twin, it depends on the insurance company. Whether you want a spare pilot is more of a personal preference, as there is enough space on most turbine twins and singles for you to pack a life vest/raft or wear a suit and carry another pilot right seat.

But I'll go direct to a few insurance company's and find out. That will cut out any speculation on the topic.

thanks anyway

Pace
20th Nov 2010, 09:57
RW31R

Yes some ferry pilots would take you! If for no other reason than having someone to talk to or as a safety pilot.

The problem you would have is logging the hours in a single crew aircraft.
Insurance would be the problem. If in a single maybe just log some of the hours you fly anyway after the event ;)

Pace

hawker750
23rd Nov 2010, 15:26
31R
There is no insurance issue with "going along for the ride" you simply would not be insured unless you took out seperate cover.
There are many pilots out there who have done more crossings than me but I have done my fair share of piston singles and twins and small turbines. Each category has different considerations. On a piston single you would not want the weight/space penalty, probably the same on a small twin. Essentially 'thoug it is more personal than that. Ferrying is an immensly challenging but hugely rewarding type of professional flying. It takes a particular type, probably a bit insular and having another person along for the ride is just another thing (person) to worry about. That is not what you want when deciding whether to shoot for Narsarsuaq or stay put. I did loads in the 70's and 80's and after every S/E crossing (most were Gander to Shannon direct in about 13-14 hours in the days of dead reckoning only) I said "never again". 2 weeks later I was off again, I was not only missing the adrenalin caused by fear but also the incredible satisfaction of getting the job done. My last S/E crossing was 1988 until in 2009 when I had the opportunity to do "just one more". It did it because there is nothing like the feeling of touching down afer the jump. Would I do another?........ probably yes.
It is one of the purest forms of flying, it is your skill and judgement that only matters. Try and get into it if you can, you may love it, but many do not. Essential reading for any budding ferry pilot is Gann's "Fate is the Hunter". His stories are not stories they could happen to you.