PDA

View Full Version : jaa IRI

baobab72
19th Nov 2010, 07:02
Dear All
i am trying to gather as many info as i can about the IRI course, i do not have the FI ticket however i do meet all the requirements to get an IRI ticket (800hrs ifr among others).
I would love to teach without stepping on the path of younger flight instructors striving to rake up the hours to land a "better" job though, just to help out.
To your experience do you know if given the option, it would be better to get the ticket at the same flight school where you then plan to teach even though far fetched, or to get the ticket where you can get it for the least amount of money and at a far more comfortable location that does nt entail driving for three hours at the time.
Also, once i get the ticket, will i need a number of hours before being releised and being able to exercise all my previleges?
And last but not least, if one day i will elect to get the FI certificate, will i have to attend the same ground school or the class that i will take for the IRI will be taken into account (time for me is a factor since i have a day job and i will have to invest a big chunck of my days off towards achieving that goal)
thanks and happy landings

Whopity
19th Nov 2010, 16:54
Where do you want to teach? You can only teach for the IR at an approved FTO. If the FTO teaches Integrated courses an IRI rating cannot be used as the students are regarded as ab-initio. This limits the IRI to teaching on modular courses. The majority of these will be for the ME IR therefore in addition to completing the IRI Course you will also need to complete the CRI(ME) Course JAR-FCL 1.390(b) which requires a minimum of 30 hours PIC on the Class or Type.

Once qualified as a IRI or CRI(ME) you will get a 25 hour credit against the Teaching and Learning element of an FI Course (App1 to JAR-FCL 1.395 and App 2 to JAR-FCL 1.380) That still leaves 100 hours of theoretical training plus 30 hours of Flight training to do to get the FI rating.

In 11 years of JAR-FCL I have only ever come accross one standalone IRI and that was whilst he converted his military ratings to a FI.