PDA

View Full Version : "...if available?"

waren9
19th Nov 2010, 05:58
The pending clearance thread reminded me.

Why oh f. why does everyone append their requests with "if available"? The most redundant RT phrase ever.

Clearly ATC aren't going to to give you something if its not available, so why say it? Even heard skygods do it.

Does my head in.

I know my RT isn't exactly 10 out of 10 but atleast I give it some thought.

PS I used to say "pending clearance" too, as it was what I was taught -by an Australian training capt. Soon after, I found out the truth in the Jepps. I now know better!:ok:

Jack Ranga
19th Nov 2010, 06:19
'Request traffic and code' :ugh:

PyroTek
19th Nov 2010, 06:42
I guess "Request xx if available" is a good example of redundancy.. Effectively saying "Request" twice.

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Nov 2010, 07:05
'Request traffic and code' :ugh:Yeah, its kinda fun to just give a taxi call - and see what happens!

Next thing you know an ATCer will chime in with traffic and a code - truely amazing how they know you need those.

Clever little buggers those ATCers! :E

Dr :8

Ultralights
19th Nov 2010, 07:17
just as annoying as those that refers to themselves in the third person when making calls.

Cessna ABC turns base runway XXX

or Cessna ABC 2POB for the training area requests taxi runway 11.....:rolleyes:

girl with a stick
19th Nov 2010, 07:33
Oh dear. Guilty as charged, sirs. Said it only today!

And now this thread has made me stop and think : what does it mean?

I think it might mean, "I'm being SO considerate of your workload, I don't expect you to grant it to me, but I've asked very nicely"

But, I shall think TWICE now, as it's quite clearly a redundant time waster :O

Keg
19th Nov 2010, 08:31
Even heard skygods do it.

You'll only here it once if they're flying with me. I agree, it drives me around the bend. I think I'm getting old and cranky. :} Maybe just cranky. :ok:

At least 'coming down' in response to a squawk code hasn't made it to Australia....... yet!!!

eocvictim
19th Nov 2010, 08:43
I say it along with thanks and G'day, out of politeness for the bloke on the other end doing me a favour. Shoot me.

'Request traffic and code' perhaps as redundant as those saying "centre ABC with departure" or "... IFR taxi". Just give the departure and taxi details and stop cluttering the frequency with 2 extra transmissions.

Tidbinbilla
19th Nov 2010, 08:44
Oh, not another whinge fest.

Click.