PDA

View Full Version : Wireless monitors

Fareastdriver
18th Nov 2010, 17:56
It may or not be in existence.

I have a baby Samsung N130 and I find that it can fire up a 28" LCD TV screen quite well. The problem is cables. When it is wired to the TV I cannot use the wireless mouse from the other side of the room because of range and I do not want a cable slung across the room.
Do they make a two piece monitor plug in much the same way as a keyboard or mouse? i.e. one in the TV and one in the moniter output of the laptop. With this one could leave it in the TV and fire it up with the laptop as required.
I have looked on Ebay but I would not know what it would be called but I would like to get hold of one.

Mike-Bracknell
18th Nov 2010, 18:39
It depends what you want to display on the screen, as full-motion video is incredibly bandwidth-intense. If you're considering this then don't bother essentially.

Fareastdriver
18th Nov 2010, 19:04
I can understand that but wireless streaming internet have similar bandwidths and they can get away with a dongle. I am just looking for a system where I can fire up the laptop and work off the TV.

Loose rivets
18th Nov 2010, 19:22
I put my mouse dongle on a short lead, and this enables me to position it for the best reception without drawing it out from the tv very much. Mind you, it's just about on limits at 3 mtrs.

I've never heard of a remote monitor, but I imagine it would be a device that would sell well. The data rate is fairly high, but I imagine the signal strength would be the main factor unless there was amplification at the dongle end. Essentially, it would have to replicate the video card's output electronics.

Mike-Bracknell
18th Nov 2010, 19:34
What you want is a better wireless keyboard and mouse than you currently have.

mixture
18th Nov 2010, 21:00
Fareastdriver,

Your description of what you are looking to achieve is somewhat confusing.

Do you want to

use the wireless mouse from the other side of the room

In which case, the answer is as Mike-Bracknell says, get yourself a better wireless mouse (a Bluetooth one rather than one that uses another form of wireless .... and if your room is so big that Bluetooth doesn't work, then quite honestly you can probably afford a bespoke solution !)

or do you want

a two piece monitor plug in much the same way as a keyboard or mouse?With this one could leave it in the TV and fire it up with the laptop as required.

i.e. a splitter ? They definitely do exist, you just need to know where to look.

Mike-Bracknell
18th Nov 2010, 22:00
I think he wants to replace the monitor signal cable with wireless.

There's an amusing argument about this very subject here: Wireless Computer Monitor - Monitor's video connection is wireless (http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3280222-1.php)

It appears to point out that there's no currently acceptable solution (and probably not likely to be, given spectrum and bandwidth issues).

Enjoy :ok:

mixture
19th Nov 2010, 09:58
MB,

There are actually solutions out there.... but ones that actually work..... $$$$

MG23
19th Nov 2010, 13:14
1920x1080 video is over 3 gigabits per second, which is about 100x as much as you get over a typical wireless LAN.

I believe there has been work done on wireless HDMI over short distances at much higher frequencies than a PC's wireless network, but I'm not aware of anything on the market yet.

Senior Paper Monitor
19th Nov 2010, 13:33
BUT (and I stress that this is a luddite's question - never did understand radio waves or electricity) I have three additional TVs receiving moving pictures and noise perfectly well around the bungalow via a 'digiSender' attached to the main TV (in fact the Virgin box behind the main TV).

What is the difference (technologically speaking) ?

Fareastdriver
19th Nov 2010, 14:12
Going back to my initial post.

It may or not be in existence.

Obviously not so question answered.

Mike-Bracknell
19th Nov 2010, 17:19
BUT (and I stress that this is a luddite's question - never did understand radio waves or electricity) I have three additional TVs receiving moving pictures and noise perfectly well around the bungalow via a 'digiSender' attached to the main TV (in fact the Virgin box behind the main TV).

Virgin TV at SD resolution = 576 x 400 (which is a lot less pixels to move about), and is MPEG3 encoded, which is a lossy compression that only transmits pixel changes. Hence a much smaller data footprint to move about.

Also, probably not on the 802.11 frequencies allocated.

MG23
19th Nov 2010, 17:21

It's analog, much lower resolution than even a typical laptop display, and 'heavily compressed': e.g. the color signals contain much less data than the brightness signal. Broadcast analog NTSC requires about 6MHz of bandwidth and I believe VHS pushed that down to more like 3MHz without many people noticing. That's trivial compared to trying to get a digital 3Gbps signal around the house wirelessly.

Edit: I didn't realise that it was sending a digital signal, but, yeah, MPEG-2 can easily give 20:1 compression and still produce a decent picture

themidge
19th Nov 2010, 22:17
Something like this might do the trick, just plug in the TV rather than the projector.

InFocus LiteShow II Wireless Adapter for Projector (http://www.saverstore.com/product/20042171/7725665/InFocus-LiteShow-II-Wireless-Adapter-for-Projector)

PX-PA15AW (http://www.plextoramericas.com/index.php/wireless-projector-adapter)

Bushfiva
20th Nov 2010, 00:07
"Up to 15 fps" according to the specs.

hellsbrink
20th Nov 2010, 06:51
You can get various things that are used to broadcast digital TV wirelessly from room to room but I ain't sure what the connections on them are.......

You could look at this doofer if you want to do wireless video to the TV....... Amazon.com: Video-Home 2.4GHz Wireless PC Computer to TV Video Sender and Converter - Accepts computer VGA signal and convert them into TV composite video format Wirelessly - supports VGA mode up to 2048x1536 High Resolutions: Electronics (http://www.amazon.com/Video-Home-2-4GHz-Wireless-Computer-Converter/dp/B003QL5TCY) .

You should be able to set up a "twin screen" output on the laptop using it's own screen and the monitor output (hang on, you wouldn't need that since the output from the laptop alone to the TV would suffice) and then use mouse/keyboard normally with the laptop so you see everything on the big screen.

Of course, if the mouse/keyboard is the only real issue and you can leave the laptop beside the TV then do as yer told and buy a decent set.