View Full Version : Should these be of concern to a pilot ?

munrobagger
18th Nov 2010, 12:25
Flew with FR for the first time from AGP to EDI early Nov . 2 overhead lockers were not secured by cabin staff and belts could be seen hanging down from passengers bags . Secondly , turbulence light came on over Bay of Biscay altough there were no bumps ; usual stuff announced please return to seats ; afrter about 5 minutes a passenger at rear got up and walked to the toilets , cabin staff did nothing although belt sign went off when he was just outside lavatory .

SNS3Guppy
18th Nov 2010, 15:20
I don't know that those things are so much a concern to pilots as to passengers or flight attendants. Pilots are concerned with the overall safety of flight. A belt hanging down may not present any particular threat to the safety of the flight, though it might be an inconvenience to a passenger in the aisle.

Flight attendants are responsible for ensuring compliance in the cabin; they're responsible for handling cabin emergencies or needs, which includes passenger behavior, stowing of gear and baggage, etc.

A passenger who places himself at risk by ignoring the seatbelt sign doesn't really become a pilot concern until the passenger begins refusing to sit down, or causing a disturbance in the cabin. I think we've all had those moments when we couldn't wait for the cabin sign to go out, because we had a need to "go." No doubt this passenger did, too.

When riding as a passenger, particularly in uniform, I make every effort to remain seated when the seatbelt sign is on, just as I make every effort to remove the passenger safety briefing card and follow along every single time...even though I know the material by heart. Setting a good example for the other passengers is important. Never the less, on a few occasions, I found the need to retreat to the blue room far more pressing than standing up as a shining example, and did, in fact, remove my seat belt and trek aft.

Turning on the seat belt signs is a safety act, but also a liability act. It's one thing to hit turbulence, but if one has taken a reasonable precaution by instructing the passengers to remain seated with their seatbelt securely fastened, then one absolves one's self somewhat of the liability in the event an injury occurs. In this respect, the use of the seat belt sign is a way of insulating one's self from liability, as well as helping ensure the safety of the passengers by providing timely direction to remain securely seated when turbulence is occurring or is expected to occur.

Tarman
18th Nov 2010, 19:42
Have noticed that the seat belt sign goes on and the pax are secured before the flight deck door is opened by crew.

That is probably why the sign was on when there wasn't any turb.

Tarman

Shell Management
18th Nov 2010, 19:52
@ SNS3Guppy: Safety leadership is determined not by what you do when things are easy but when they are hard.

@munrobagger: Complain to the CAA here: https://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=form&id=4320

Agaricus bisporus
19th Nov 2010, 14:21
Complaining to the UK Caa may be rather pointless as FR are Irish...

Perhaps waste your time complaining to the IAA instead?