PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again....Bird Flu

jetjockey696
18th Nov 2010, 11:03
Hong Kong has confirmed its first case of human bird flu in seven years.

Health Secretary York Chow said late Wednesday that a 59-year-old woman had tested positive for H5N1 bird flu after returning to Hong Kong from the Chinese mainland, and is in serious condition in a local hospital.

With the announcement, the government raised the bird flu alert to “serious,'' meaning there is a risk of contracting the disease within the territory.

Chow said Hong Kong officials were meeting Thursday and would determine whether additional measures are needed to safeguard local residents.

The bird flu virus first struck Hong Kong in 1997. Six people died in that outbreak and all chickens in the territory were culled.

thrustpig
18th Nov 2010, 12:06
Not wanting to fluff any bird flu feathers, but just out of interest how many people die of malaria each day?

Stallone
18th Nov 2010, 12:24
there's malaria pill to prevent getting it

but is there a H5N1 vaccine??

niksmathew24
18th Nov 2010, 12:30
@stallone

China launches world?s first HIN1 vaccine (http://www.zeenews.com/news569494.html)

forget
18th Nov 2010, 12:41
I was in the doc's waiting room yesterday. Guy next to me says 'I think I have bird flu'. ------ 'I'm painting my nails,talking bollox, and I can't park the car'.

Stallone
18th Nov 2010, 12:42
Nope, that doesn't prevent H5N1

H1N1 is a different variant as compared to H5N1

H5N1 is a very fatal variant unlike the H1N1

The only known treatment they have is Tamiflu pills, which is of no real known effect.

In fact, even if they come up with a H5N1 vaccine, it mutates so fast that it renders the previous vaccine useless

niksmathew24
18th Nov 2010, 15:32
Thanks for the corrected info mate..:ok:

hongkongfooey
20th Nov 2010, 00:58
They will always problems with these diseases in Hong Kong/China, how the hell does your respiratory system stand a chance against any type of flu when it is full of SO2, Mercury, ultra fine particles etc ?
Don't get me started on the level of Hygeine around here......

exeng
20th Nov 2010, 01:42
there's malaria pill to prevent getting it

Wrong my friend. The pill (or any of them) will not stop you developing malaria -however it will prevent the worst of the symptoms until you get into hospital - as long as you get there sharpish. If you dont get there sharpish then you will die, assuming it is a bad varient.

Sharpish means within about 36 hours.

Regards
Exeng

Stallone
20th Nov 2010, 01:51
wow, ok, i didn't know that.. thx for the info

ORAC
5th Apr 2013, 10:59
Bird flu fears lead to Shanghai poultry market cull (http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/05/bird-flu-shanghai-poultry-market-cull)

Authorities slaughter more than 20,000 birds after H7N9 strain of virus is detected in pigeons and human death toll rises to six

El Grifo
5th Apr 2013, 11:59
Pigeons now is it !! Be a job roundin' up these little buggers :eek: