PDA

View Full Version : Hawks fly the coop?

Flyingmac
16th Nov 2010, 16:26
Heard today that the possibility of moving Leeming's aircraft to Teesside was being discussed. Plenty of room I suppose and FRA already in residence. Pie in the sky or what?

PTC REMF
16th Nov 2010, 16:40
Wouldn't it make more sense to move them to Valley, or is Valley chocka?

timex
16th Nov 2010, 17:35
What a good idea, wonder if they'll have to pay £6 every time they leave the place. Joking apart, DTV has to be a poor option the "Security fence" on the South side is a joke.

Mighty Quercus
16th Nov 2010, 21:05
I have also heard that 90SU are scoping supporting themselves if RAF Leeming Station personnel were no longer in situ. I can see Leeming being home to the Sigs Sqns returning from Germany and making it a J6 Hub.

TorqueOfTheDevil
16th Nov 2010, 22:05
is Valley chocka?

Far from it - the jets only use one side of the airfield these days, and with the likely demise of the Hawk T1s in 4 FTS use, there will be even more space (air and ground) to use. That said, several other units may or may not already have plans to make use of said space...

Easy Street
16th Nov 2010, 23:21
Since the primary role of the 100 Sqn Hawks is participation in air combat training (usually supporting the Typhoon force in the North Sea danger areas) it would make no sense to put them at Valley, given the limited "on task" time that would result.

RetiredSHRigger
16th Nov 2010, 23:40
It would not surprise me if Tatty Tons ground crew were civilianised as a further cost cutting measure. I am sure their would be ample qualified candidates. :mad:

Roadster280
17th Nov 2010, 01:03
At first glance it seems a bit odd to have Leeming, Topcliffe and Dishforth all with active airfields in such a small area. Putting aside interservice rivalries, why not choose between Leeming and Dishforth for aviation, and use the other as a standard ex-RAF Army camp, like Topcliffe effectively is?

ancientaviator62
17th Nov 2010, 07:31
If they move the Hawks to Teeside can we rename it Middleton St George ?

dctyke
17th Nov 2010, 07:58
Quote: It would not surprise me if Tatty Tons ground crew were civilianised as a further cost cutting measure. I am sure their would be ample qualified candidates. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

Ah hem, they have been for at least the last 8 or so years!

Background Noise
17th Nov 2010, 08:22
Make that 15 years.

Martin the Martian
17th Nov 2010, 08:38
Serious suggestions: Waddington? Leuchars? Linton-on-Ouse?

NutherA2
17th Nov 2010, 09:11
Lossie is quite close to the North Sea.................

Cows getting bigger
17th Nov 2010, 10:27
Shirley if they're there to support the Typhoon, somewhere like, err, Coningsby could be useful. :p

Toadpool
17th Nov 2010, 10:37
Basing a fast jet squadron (yes, I know they're only hawks) at a civvy airport seems madness to me. The operating methods and ethos are completely different. How would hawks cope with wake turbulence, larger aircraft backtracking due to lack of taxiways, no night VFR, etc, etc?

Also there is no accomodation, no ground support (MT, messes, etc).

Any of the other Vale of York airfields would be a much more sensible choice.

diginagain
17th Nov 2010, 10:51
Any of the other Vale of York airfields would be a much more sensible choice.
Namely?

And some other stuff...

N707ZS
17th Nov 2010, 15:51
This one has been talked about for years. Hangar one needs a little TLC and it would be perfect for Hawks, might need a bit more parking space though.

RotaryWingB2
17th Nov 2010, 17:36
Teesside isn't exactly busy either.

Herod
17th Nov 2010, 20:02
Back in the late '80s we based the 11AEF Chippies at Teeside while Leeming was restructured for the Tornado. They have a very good flying club bar. :)

N707ZS
17th Nov 2010, 20:20
RAF fixed up hangar two very nicely for the 11AEF crew.

taxydual
17th Nov 2010, 20:23
Teesside shot themselves in the foot, years ago. Yes, the AEF operated from there, also talk of NUAS doing the same. Then the 'Greed God' took over. The amount of taxpayers dosh they wanted to allow the Chips and Bulls to play was unbelievable.
Hence the return to Leeming.

As for the 'Ton', chatting about the OP's conjecture with a squadron member tonight, his attitude was 'every day another rumour'.

Guzlin Adnams
17th Nov 2010, 21:09
Waddy......spare space to be vacated by Sentinel departure. Arrows and the ton on one station, savings possible. Christ help me, I'm sounding like a bean counter..........:eek:

RetiredSHRigger
17th Nov 2010, 21:12
Dctyke and Background
Thanks for enliightening me regarding the civvy G/C thats me being out of the loop the last 15 yrs :ouch: that hurt!