PDA

View Full Version : Mac jpg problem

Cornish Jack
16th Nov 2010, 12:11
Can't find a new thread icon in the Mac forum so posting this here.
I have burned a CD with a selection of photos in jpg format. They are perfectly viewable on my PC and on SWMBO's, also on the intended recipient's partner's machine (PC?MAC???). However the recipient cannot see the folder. She cannot transfer it from her partner's machine.
I don't speak Mac, so to those who do, should there be any major problem in translating jpg format from PC to Mac?
Any suggestions gratefully received.
TIA:confused:

mixture
16th Nov 2010, 13:51
Cornish Jack,

I can tell you two things.....

Images are cross platform, and the common image formats (jpg, png etc.) even more so (i.e. not requiring anything special).

I frequently write CDs with my data and share between PCs and Macs and it's never a problem.

So I would summise thus ...

(1) No need to "speak mac"
(2) No major cross-platform issues to consider these days, especially in what you are seeking to achieve
(3) Have you tried re-burning the CD ? Perhaps at lower speed ?

Cornish Jack
16th Nov 2010, 21:06
Thank you mixture - 'twas what I had assumed. Can't do much about the burn speed - my program does its own thing re. speed. Will try a reburn but I suspect that there is just a general incompatibility between our writers/readers.

mixture
17th Nov 2010, 06:30
CJ,

Might be worth trying a service such as yousendit (https://www.yousendit.com/).

It's free, so nothing to loose by trying.

Cornish Jack
18th Nov 2010, 21:53
Thanks again, mixture. Looks interesting but appears tobe intended more for non-graphics. Anyway I have decide to try another burner andm perhaps put them on a DVD rather than a CD. Will see how it goes.

Avtrician
19th Nov 2010, 08:07
How about putting the files on a usb memory stick and trying that. The end result would be the same.

aerobelly
20th Nov 2010, 10:27
Was this CD burned using MS-Windows? Windows has a problem in that it doesn't properly "close" the CD after writing unless explicitly told to. This causes Windows CDs to be unreadable on my Linux machines, and may well apply to Macs too. 'b

Cornish Jack
23rd Nov 2010, 15:47
Thank you Avtrician, aerobelly and mixture - now done and dusted - the new DVD burn is, apparently viewable. Presumably there was a discrepancy between the CD recording head on my machine and the read head on the recipient's. The DVD heads are better quality and more compatible.:):ok: