PDA

View Full Version : Is a 'visual approach' considered an 'IFR approach' ?

santos dumont
16th Nov 2010, 11:38
Where do I find under JAR rules the text that describes whether a 'visual approach' at the end of an IFR flight is an IFR approach or not.

Thank you,
SD

Microburst2002
16th Nov 2010, 11:46
It is IFR

An IFR flight has to be cancelled before it is considered VFR. the phraseology is "Cancel IFR at time xxx" if I recall correctly

A visual approach is not an IFR rules cancelation.

It is not in JAR, but in ICAO annexes, probably ICAO PANS ATM, maybe even in Annex 2 rules of the air.

duyentranvan
17th Nov 2010, 05:09
yea check out jeppesen icao rules of the air - annex 2

chapter 5.1.3 change from ifr flight to vfr flight

bookworm
17th Nov 2010, 07:50
PANS ATM Doc 4444 defines:

Visual approach. An approach by an IFR flight when either
part or all of an instrument approach procedure is not
completed and the approach is executed in visual reference
to terrain.

airman13
20th Nov 2010, 09:46
definitely yes.

MISSED APCH
20th Nov 2010, 15:17
great question !

de facto
21st Nov 2010, 09:15
and a 'CONTACT APPROACH' ?:8

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Nov 2010, 09:54
Years ago it used to be called a "Visual contact approach".

<<A visual approach is not an IFR rules cancelation.>>

Correct. In UK Class A airspace you cannot cancel IFR but Visual Approaches are possible.

NW1
21st Nov 2010, 10:02
Just to make things easier if you operate from here to there, in the US there still is a difference (subtle one) between a "Visual Approach" and a "[visual] Contact Approach"... IIRC one of the differences is that ATC may offer you one, but you have to ask for the other.

galaxy flyer
21st Nov 2010, 14:40
And for contact approach the only weather mins are "clear of cloud" and 1 SM visibility. Don't even have the the field in sight, all rather lower than a FAA visual mins. Few real contacts are flown at airline fields, but out the boonies, common.

GF

ehwatezedoing
21st Nov 2010, 15:45
The Canadian version is explained here.
Contact & Visual Approaches - aviation.ca (http://atc.aviation.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=189&Itemid=67)

You are supposed to have and keep your airport in sight went asking for a visual.

I recall someone who required a "visual" (when others were doing the approach or going "contact") at a relatively busy uncontrolled airport in dodgy weather.
He went around, asking for a clearance, just to find himself at the end of the IFR queue.

Marty33
21st Nov 2010, 16:16
In the USA, a "contact" approach is considered VFR, but the controller will provide separation.

ImbracableCrunk
21st Nov 2010, 16:42
In the USA, a "contact" approach is considered VFR, but the controller will provide separation.

Are you confusing Special VFR with a contact approach? Contact is still IFR, I'm, pretty sure.

galaxy flyer
21st Nov 2010, 17:27
Ref FAA AIM 5-4-24, a contact is IFR, in addition to the weather above, the airport has to have an IAP, the pilot only has to have a reasonable expectation of continuing to the airport and the pilot must request the contact approach. Sorry for the thread drift

GF

Marty33
21st Nov 2010, 20:00
You are correct! My error.

Wind Shear Ahead
21st Nov 2010, 21:48
In EU, or at least in some parts of it, a visual app clearance issued to an IFR flt is an IFR clearance. Field in sight at all times is mandatory