PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand Defence Service Medal to be awarded

Whenurhappy
15th Nov 2010, 21:33
The NZ Minister of Defence recently announced that a Defence Service medal would be awarded to those personnel with 3 or more years of service. Here's the link:

NZDF Medals - Breaking News (http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/news/index.html#nzdsm)

For those kiwis in HM Forces who qualified on the basis of previous service in NZ, I suspect it will be a long time before there is authority for it to be worn here, although the Sovereign will have given 'permission' for the medal to be struck in NZ, but in her role of Queen of NZ, which is a separate legal identity. Initially the medal will be awarded to those over 50 then the field will be opened up.

Anyway, well done...another expensive trip off to the medalist for a mounting...

Like This - Do That
15th Nov 2010, 23:56
Just as silly and sad as our ADM. Really - a gong for turning up to work for a few years?

bakseetblatherer
16th Nov 2010, 01:23
I must admit I was quite surprised by the war-y-ness of the NZDF guys when I got back, all those medals! I assumed that the NZ forces were as parsimonious with medals as the UK. Not at all true, while not as free with the bling as our American cousins, but more free with it than the Brits.

A friend of mine ex NZ Army managed to get 3 or 4 from one trip to Timor!

Samuel
16th Nov 2010, 02:21
I am on the list of early recipients, and there really is more to it than "just turning up" for three years. It is recognition for the many people who, for one reason or another, never got to anywhere a campaign medal was issued. On that basis alone, I think it fair.

It is not uncommon these days to see young people wearing a number of ribbons , some for places the UK may not have heard of, like East Timor and Bougainville,plus some you may have heard of like Iraq and Afghanistan...it's not just the NZSAS up there!

Another bunch of recipients of NZDEF medals are the NZ Police, for service in some of the places mentioned above. It's not unusual to see a cop or two at an ANZAC day service with a collection of medals.

Jimlad1
16th Nov 2010, 04:18
Was talking about this subject the other day with some mates and what the UK should do about it. We came to the conclusion that most people now get medals due to the way we are so busy around the world.

However, we felt that there could be a call for 2 new medals:

1. 'I did my bit medal' - To be awarded on completion of service in the armed forces, and only when the recipient has received no other medals or decorations during their time in the service (so not that many people at all). Essentially it would be for those few people who turned up, did their jobs, played away from home on exercises or short deployments that never qualified for a medal, and somehow managed to avoid getting any decorations at all.

The idea is that after they leave, they receive a small token of official recognition that they 'did their bit' even if there was no formal campaigning. Medal wont be worn on uniforms, only on civilian gear on parades etc - more of a 'thank you' than a medal, and an easy way to spot Walts, who wear it alongside other medals :-)

2. 'Mobilisation Medal' - To be awarded to reservists called up for active duty, but who do not qualify for a campaign medal. There are a fair number of reservists who are mobilised to deploy, but due to the nature of their roles, don't end up spending sufficient qualifying time in operational theatres - One solution would be a single award, given only when no other medal is awarded, to recognise their willingness to deploy to serve their nation.

Not many people would be affected, but it would help address issues like guys on their 3rd or 4th Mobilisation (I know people in this position) who have not received a single medal for their efforts. This one off award (not to be awarded for multiple tours without other medal qualification) would help be a visible symbol of thanks for people who were willing to put their normal life to one side, and do their bit for the armed forces.

I don't think either would be awarded in huge numbers, but I think that if someone has served, then we as a nation should recognise this effort.

kiwi grey
16th Nov 2010, 04:41
They might be:

The N.Z. Operational Service Medal (if this was their first operational tour),
The NZ East Timor Medal,
One of the several U.N. East Timor Medals, and
Possibly the Timor-Leste Solidarity Medal (awarded by the government of Timor Leste)
Lots more details at NZDF ? Medals Home Page (http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/)

:)

bakseetblatherer
16th Nov 2010, 05:00
^ yeah I think those were the ones. He deserved them though, there was pretty nasty stuff when he got there, right at the beginning.

Whenurhappy
16th Nov 2010, 06:40
I am of two minds about the awarding of this medal. Firstly it is outward recognition of those who have 'done their bit' but by dint of Branch/Trade/Service/History never mixed it with the bad guys. But I also sympathise with those who decry it as a 'turning up for work' medal.

When I met a number of former kiwi colleagues a year or two back I was surprised by the array of medals worn by most; albeit for PS and PK operations which, as Samuel mentioned, few outside the Asia-Pacific basin have heard of. I am surprised, though, that NZ hasn't stuck with teh UK policy of 'one operation - one medal' (ie no double-dipping with NATO or UN medals alongside a National campaign medal for the same operation).

Some years ago I was working in Italy and the REMFs at a particular support unit received two Balkans medals for living in...Italy (oops, supporting SFOR and KFOR). I had served on the ground during difficult times on both operations and wore the same medals; the assumption subsequently from some people is that I was awarded the Limoncello and Spaghetti a la Vongole medals for being paid an outrageous amount of LOA.

Nonetheless, I look forward to applying for mine idc and deciding whether I should seek leave to wear it on my UK uniform. That will depend on the design...

Pontius Navigator
16th Nov 2010, 15:15
I am on the list of early recipients, and there really is more to it than "just turning up" for three years. It is recognition for the many people who, for one reason or another, never got to anywhere a campaign medal was issued. On that basis alone, I think it fair.

Having served on nuclear alerts at 15 minutes readiness for several years, having flown various operations on maritime patrol aircraft including an unreported by very near miss with a Russian MPA, and having flown many hours hunting Bear in the venerable Shackleton no medals were forthcoming.

Having helped maintain bar profits at Butterworth a medal was awarded for what was really no different from QRA and somewhat less risky than Maritime Ops.

It is not uncommon these days to see young people wearing a number of ribbons , some for places the UK may not have heard of, like East Timor
Our OC PSF was there and had his picture in the UK papers - action man - sitting in the door of a helicopter with his SA80. Not sure if he got a medal.

minigundiplomat
16th Nov 2010, 17:44
Medals are just bits of tin n ribbon. They are like beauty - in the eye of the beholder.

When you look in the mirror, you know whether you've earned them or not.

Pontius Navigator
16th Nov 2010, 18:41
And the local gypsys are turning up at a hotel tomorrow offering up to £300 each for pre 1930s medals. Don't knock them as bits of tin - they are worth real dosh.

ian16th
16th Nov 2010, 19:10
Jimlad1

1. 'I did my bit medal' - To be awarded on completion of service in the armed forces, and only when the recipient has received no other medals or decorations during their time in the service (so not that many people at all).Why? Today everyone receives their 'Veterans Badge' on discharge don't they?

I did 13 years from '52 to '65, I served in places where the GSM was awarded, but I wasn't in those places at those times.

I came out without a single medal.

But I didn't EARN one!

And unlike some Wally's in my RAFA Branch, I steadfastly refuse to BUY any.

I know what I did, I sleep soundly at night and have nothing to be ashamed of.

minigundiplomat
16th Nov 2010, 19:50
And unlike some Wally's in my RAFA Branch, I steadfastly refuse to BUY any.

I know what I did, I sleep soundly at night and have nothing to be ashamed of.

Sign of someone who knows the difference between cost and value Ian.

Mahogany_Bomber
16th Nov 2010, 22:50
PN,

I was there with him, unfortunately no warry photo for me but HM The Queen of Australia gave us a nice medal each for all our efforts.

MB

Samuel
17th Nov 2010, 01:59
Why? Today everyone receives their 'Veterans Badge' on discharge don't they?

Not in NZ they don't, and that is what this thread is about.

ian16th
17th Nov 2010, 06:44
Sam,

Quite right.

I'm sorry, but Wally's get me worked up and I engaged fingers before brain.

Whenurhappy
17th Nov 2010, 06:54
PN

I remember that photo of OCPSF at the door of a helicopter over East Timor. Blonde headed chap who got to wear the medal.

We were still bedding down in Pristina when INTERFET went in, Aug(?) 1999. We were briefed by the Kiwi Liaison Officer at the evening Bird Table at HQ BRITFOR and there was a collectve sigh of yet another mission to burden the Arms Plot.

But that was before the real op tempo pressure of VERITAS and TELIC...

Whenurhappy
11th Apr 2011, 13:03
Here's the link to the 'approved' NZ Defence Service Medal, awarded, inter alia, for 3 or more years' operational service in the NZ Armed Forces. A colleague made enquiries with DS Sec in Main Building and learned that it would be likely that approval to wear the medal on British uniform would be granted 'in due course'.

The NZDF stated that permission was not required if a recipient wore it on a foreign unifrom, subject, of course, to local regulations.

NZDF - Medals - FAQs - NZ Defence Service Medal (http://medals.nzdf.mil.nz/nzdsm/faqs.html)

Really annoyed
11th Apr 2011, 14:17
When you look in the mirror, you know whether you've earned them or not. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Laughing/hahaha-024.gif

Is that what you do minidumb? Do you stand there in front of the mirror in your uniform saying to yourself "I earned this medal and I won't let anybody say anything different. I bloody well earned it."

Ooh you are a proper little rambo aren't you. Still, you made me laugh.

Out Of Trim
11th Apr 2011, 14:40
Oh yeah, I cling-filmed them A-4s so tight There's no way we can use them now!

It must be medal time now then Helen!

:ugh::ugh::ugh::rolleyes:

Whenurhappy
11th Apr 2011, 15:17
Except that Helen's had nothing to do with this one!

minigundiplomat
11th Apr 2011, 16:28
Is that what you do minidumb? Do you stand there in front of the mirror in your uniform saying to yourself "I earned this medal and I won't let anybody say anything different. I bloody well earned it."

Ooh you are a proper little rambo aren't you. Still, you made me laugh.

Parked cars make you laugh, so I wont get too excited.

However, if you are in a dilemma as to whether or not you got your gong, for eating pizza,or keeping warring factions apart- a bit of reflection will soon tell you.

I take it this isnt a dilemma you have? Surely you must have racked up at least one gong on 28?

Geehovah
11th Apr 2011, 17:02
When it all comes up for reckoning, we all know which "bits we did that remained unrecognised" and which "bits we got a medal for". I have to say the two could be poles apart, although I know many who can say exactly the opposite and deserved their accolades.

sidewayspeak
11th Apr 2011, 18:33
YouTube - Muttley Medal

Samuel
12th Apr 2011, 04:23
Here's the link to the 'approved' NZ Defence Service Medal, awarded, inter alia, for 3 or more years' operational service in the NZ Armed Forces. A colleague made enquiries with DS Sec in Main Building and learned that it would be likely that approval to wear the medal on British uniform would be granted 'in due course'.

The NZDF stated that permission was not required if a recipient wore it on a foreign unifrom, subject, of course, to local regulations.

NZDF - Medals - FAQs - NZ Defence Service Medal

I will be one of the first issued because I'm getting to be older than dirt!

It will be delivered by courier; the last one was!

I will not be attending any presentation because I'm not that interested [in presentations that is].

I will wear it alongside the others as soon as I can get it mounted, same with the miniature.

It's quite a nice looking ribbon actually. Thank god it wasn't black with a silver fern......:D

I can't see any reason why a Brit or anyone else with like service in NZ couldn't wear it. The Queen approved it!

Whenurhappy
12th Apr 2011, 06:04
I'll probably be in the dying days of my RAF Service when I get mine so won't have the opportunity, I suppose, to wear it on my uniform. I gather the High Commission in London will arrange presentations for those who wish. I would like to as it will be an opportunity to meet some old muckers.

PS: Bad form for a number of fellow Ppruners to turn this simple information thread into a personal slanging match. Incisive comment is one thing....

Samuel
12th Apr 2011, 07:37
I was at Government House in Wellington last Saturday; visiting to see what $47 million has achieved in refurbishment, and the answer is ...a lot, but on entry I bumped into a RNZAF Wing Commander, sporting just one medal that I didn't recognise. In passing I noted we shared the same tailor, and he turned out to one of the recent ex-RAF imports. I presume he does have more ribbons to display, but is awaiting approval perhaps? He had served in the RAF, RSAF, and now RNZAF. Took him a while to get it right eh...... he wasn't aircrew so no idea what branch or why he was at Government House.

Samuel
14th Apr 2011, 23:52
Online applications for the older, wiser age group can now be made.:hmm: