PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Grave in St Andrew's Church in Tangier

Belle and Sebastian
15th Nov 2010, 16:15
Yesterday, I attended a remembrance parade and placed an RAF wreath on the graves at the Anglican Church in Tangier. There are 10 RAF graves there but only 9 with names.
On 21 February 1944, there was an aircraft crash involving Sgt Downs (Wireless Op/Air Gunner), FS Hamilton (Nav) and Plt Offr MacIntyre (Wireless Op/Air Gunner). However, the 4th grave has the same date and has the inscription ‘known unto God’.
If this person was on board the aircraft, surely his name would have been recorded.
Can anybody shed any light on the missing name or any info behind this flight?

Old-Duffer
15th Nov 2010, 16:42
The men whose names you record were the crew of a Wellington XIV of 179 Sqn and they were killed, I believe, on an anti-submarine patrol.

The crew of the Wellington probably numbered 6 or more (somebody will tell us) when engaged on this sortie type.

Those who could be identified individually would be named but the unknown man would have been one of (say) three others who were either not found or who could not be individually identified. Obviously, if the man was the fourth of a crew of four, by a process of elimination, we would know who he was.

Although his grave is unmarked by name, he will be commemorated on the Malta Memorial or maybe even Runnymede. I will see what else I can trace and if I can find the names of the others, I shall make a further post on this Thread.

O-D

fantom
15th Nov 2010, 16:50
Not answering the question, but...

Did you see the name Wheaterton?

Old-Duffer
15th Nov 2010, 16:59
Re my last post - things fell into place straight away.

The crew were flying Wellington HF307 and they crashed into the Straits of Gib.

There were six on board: the three named and Plt Off O F HYNDMAN 22 RCAF, Sgt T C AKEROYD and Fg Off A H ELLIS 23 DFC. These three men are commemorated on the Malta Memorial and it will be one of them who is buried in the grave without a name.

Hope this helps.

O-D

Old-Duffer
15th Nov 2010, 18:17
Fantom,

Tell me more about Wheaterton. The Commonealth War Graves Commission records have nobody of that name (spelling) in their registers.

This means:
a. The spelling is wrong
b. The person falls outside the periods of the two world wars and so is not listed in the general registers, although the commission will have his details
c. His name is not just Wheaterton but might be Buggins-Wheaterton or somesuch variation
d. He is a foreign national

O-D

Belle and Sebastian
16th Nov 2010, 07:27
Thanks O-D for the info on the aircraft and the crew of the Wellington.

There were actually 12 RAF graves in all and 1 Gibraltarian Service Police grave in St Andrew's.

Do you have any info on the other RAF Graves. There was a crew of 5 in a plot together - aged 19-21. There was also a pair who died on the same flight and a single grave. Unfortunately, I didn't write down their names.

The policeman was part of a 4-man SOE mission who were carrying a limpet mine in an undercover operation when it initiated. The other 3 are buried in the Catholic and Jewish cemetaries in Tangier.

November4
16th Nov 2010, 08:05
Just off out to work or would do some digging as well

Tangier (St Andrew) Cememtery (http://www.cwgc.org/search/cemetery_details.aspx?cemetery=2022410&mode=1)

The is s photo of the cememtery (http://www.cwgc.org/CWGCImgs/Tangier%20(St.%20Andrew)%20Chyd.JPG) on the CWGC page - tried to post it on here but is very big.

Icare9
16th Nov 2010, 19:37
It would seem that the unidentified body may have been washed ashore or recovered by fishermen etc some time later (but able to be linked to the Wellington crew) but unable to be positively identified.
At least he lies with his comrades in collective grave 106 and his name and that of his other comrades (who were not recovered) are on the Malta Memorial.

Old-Duffer
17th Nov 2010, 05:46
Belle & Sebastian,

The others are:

Lts W M Allison & J H Buxman both South African Air Force, Sgts A J Boyles, H J Hutchinson & F E Turner all RAFVR. They were lost when the 22 Sqn SAAF Ventura serial number 6455 (ex RAF FP683) crashed during a routine patrol on 31 Jan 45.

The 'pair' are Flt Lt W G Walker & Plt Off J A Hawes of 144 Sqn who died on 12 Jun 43 - circumstances not yet found but probably part of a Wellington crew and I shall do a bit more research i d c.

The single grave is that of Flt Sgt E M Rodwell from 520 Sqn who died on 15 Apr 45 and again I don't know the details.

Hope this is of interest.

Old Duffer

kiwi grey
17th Nov 2010, 07:08
O-D, it's a great service you are performing here. :D

Thanks

Belle and Sebastian
17th Nov 2010, 10:51
I agree with Kiwi, thanks O-D.

Next year, we're hoping to go to the graves at Casablanca as well. There are also some in Ceuta which we would like to visit, but it'll upset the locals!

Old-Duffer
17th Nov 2010, 14:10
To update my message post this morning.

Flt Lt Walker & Plt Off Hawes were flying a Beaufighter JM390 from Gibraltar to Port Lyautey and were shot down by flak off Spanish Morocco.

Flt Sergeant Rodwell was killed when the engine of Hurricane PZ808 failed in flight. A forced landing was attempted but the aircraft struck a rock and turned over. This happened 3 miles north of Arcila Morocco.

I think that about wraps up Tangier Cemy from an RAF point of view.

Old Duffer

Samuel
17th Nov 2010, 21:10
Well done young Duffer...well...you're not that old!:ok:

Icare9
17th Nov 2010, 22:09
B & S
CEUTA (SANTA CATALINA) MUNICIPAL CEMETERY, SPANISH MOROCCO
Ceuta is a small port on the African coast due south of Gibraltar. This cemetery, which overlooks the Straits of Gibraltar, is about 5 kilometres due east from Muelle Espana (Wharf), at the foot of Monte Hacho. The road leading to it is called Carrebera San Amaro and runs along the coast to the cemetery standing on a slight rise. The Commonwealth War Graves burials are in niches in a block known as Santa Gema. From the entrance gate, climb the steps to a yellow church, turn left to the statues, then right, then go down the alley fourth left. The niches are at the end of the alley on the facing wall, on the top row of the columbarium. Instead of a headstone, each grave is marked by a marble tablet shaped to fit the end of the niche, upon which the inscription is carved. Cemetery address: Avenida de San Amaro s/n - 51002 Ceuta GPS Co-ordinates: 35.896316, -5.299423.

BRIND GA 913795 - 28/01/1943 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
FOX R 957702 - 28/01/1943 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
GARLAND JA 1072436 - 28/01/1943 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
ROSAM RC 1295427 - 28/01/1943 ROYAL AIR FORCE VOLUNTEER RESERVE
SKELHORNE J D/SMX 62 HMS HECLA 12/11/1942 ROYAL NAVY
STOCKER C D/J17615 HMS HECLA 12/11/1942 ROYAL NAVY
THICK AJ D/K 57784 HMS HECLA 12/11/1942 ROYAL NAVY
ALLIN, ROBERT ELFORD, R E Flight Sergeant ( Bomb Aimer ) R/105949 Royal Canadian Air Force 28/01/1943 21 Block Santa Gema. Niche 175.
WALLACE, UTRICK WATSON, U W Sergeant ( Pilot ) 415045 Royal New Zealand Air Force 28/01/1943 21 Block Santa Gema. Niche 171.
WARNER, JOHN WILLIAM, J W Flight Sergeant ( Nav. ) R/99548 Royal Canadian Air Force 28/01/1943 20 Block Santa Gema. Niche 172.
No idea as to aircraft or Squadron, but with a bomb aimer doesn't sound Coastal or Transport Command.

I'm sure O-D and the rest of PPRuNe can get some further info in time for next year!

Jimbo27
17th Nov 2010, 22:20
They Shall Grow Not Old says it was a Halifax II, DT586. Air Britain confirms DT586 from 301 FTU flew into a hill near Ceuta on a ferry flight, 28 Jan 43.

HTH,

Jim