PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Atlas info

BlueSkiesNTailWinds
14th Nov 2010, 15:31
I was interested in applying at Atlas Air --- could someone fill me in on life at Atlas. I have a family and would really appreciate some honest answers ... especially how much time you are away from home and how long you have in between trips.

anothercargopilot
14th Nov 2010, 21:39
BlueSkies,

The answer can be complicated since Atlas is mostly non-sked work (even though we have many regular customers like Qantas, Emirates, Panalpina and DOD).

Current contract:
Work days 17 per month and company can take 4 at will but premium pay is good.
Guarantee is 50 hrs/month first year but jumps to 62 hrs after.
Work rules - FEW.
Travel - Paid travel (coach ticket) to and from your domicile airport (USA) to work. Because many trips do not start in my base, a lot of the time I travel to work on work day, sometimes I have to travel on my off day. All international travel is Business class or better.
Pilot group - Teamsters local 1224. Pilots are a good group of folks to work and spend time with. Very professional operation.
Typical work month - Some folks will fly 2 trips a month (9 day and 7 or 8 day) but most will be out for 14-17 days. Extensions happen, but many volunteer the extra time for the $$. Some people get tagged for a few extra days at the last minute but that is the breaks.
Company - Good upside potential and lots of hiring in summer/fall 2010 and with lots of hiring supposedly to continue in 2011 as well. New 747-8F coming soon with options for more. 747 Classic being phased out. Go to Atlas Air website to read the company news releases.

New contract - In final stages of a merged CBA that will combine the Atlas and Polar pilot groups. Possible chance for agreement by end of 2010. New contract should have vast improvements to Atlas work rules and pay increases as well since Atlas has been showing record profits for awhile.

Quality of life - That is an individual decision. Is being on the road 17 days or longer too much? Will it bother you that when you leave your house your planned overnights are 5 certain cites and you have 15 schedule changes in 10 days and end up on another continent completely never seeing those original 5 cities? Do you or does your wife insist that you be home after 4 days? Is she needy or will the kids cry every time you leave the house? Are you having marital problems now? - if so, this will put the nail in the coffin so to speak. If you answer yes to ANY of the above, then this is NOT the job for you. You WILL be miserable here.

Personally, this job works well for me. I chat with my family every day on Skype. When I am home I spend a minimum of 13/14 days per month devoted to my family. IMHO, flying around the world with good folks is much better then slogging up and down the east coast 3 times a day, doing red-eyes and dealing with grumpy passengers/flight attendants. This is one of the few jobs where you can literally go around the world each and every month and land on every continent except Antartica. And I get to do it in a well-maintained 747.

Questions?

ACP

GlueBall
15th Nov 2010, 19:46
Another issue to consider would be time zone differences; which is to say that when you fly in Asia you'd be 13 hours off your home clock. So when you get home you'd be physiologically out of whack [useless] for at least 2 days while trying to adjust your circadian rhythm. What that means is that you'll be waking up at 4AM, and at 2PM, when your wife wants you to go to the mall, you're still feeling like a zombie. :{

anothercargopilot
15th Nov 2010, 23:27
Glueball is correct and that is why I think most Atlas guys prefer to stay out rather then do multiple trips - only one adjustment. When I start work I forget about what time it is at the city I am in or at my house in the USA. The best is to just plan your rest so that you sleep until your wakeup call for the next flight. On the road, I sleep when tired and eat when hungry. Also, total flight time on almost every flight mandates a relief pilot or pilots. Most flights (80%) I get at least 2 hours of sleep in a bed in a private room or old style first class seat if the bunk is not your preference.
In a cargo 747, the whole upper deck is our "personal space". Lots of room, full galley, beds, seats, etc.

If you can't sleep on a plane....or have trouble sleeping in the hotel.....you're screwed.

Regarding returning home: After my final operating leg, I can waive rest and deadhead home right away (company ticket and get home early)or choose to stay in a company provided hotel and deadhead home (again on company paid ticket) after getting a good rest. Many pilots choose the latter to get a good rest and adjust back to local (home) time before heading home to the mrs and the kids (and commotion). Either way, it is your choice.

Those who get hired here quickly find out if this lifestyle will suit them or not.

ACG

L-38
16th Nov 2010, 18:53
I recall being with many pilots overseas who would continually whine when they were missing their son's little league game (and many other family functions). My recommendation was for them to avoid flying large airplanes, as large airplanes were simply made to cross oceans.

BlueSkiesNTailWinds
17th Nov 2010, 03:10
Glue & ACG -- I really appreciate your help and info! It's a lot to think about :ugh:

zerozero
17th Nov 2010, 06:32
Nothing to think about until they offer you a class date.

:}

It's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick. Just make your application, do your best at the interview if invited and THEN, if they make you a job offer (class date) that's when you make your decision.

Good luck.
:cool:

JCUERVO
17th Nov 2010, 08:11
Thanks for the info guys...Ive been sending in an updated CV every 2 months or so for the last 6 m/o. Any Idea on the projected hiring for next year? Or the the COMPETITIVE minimums to be considered? I have plenty of international and EFIS/FMS time but its on medium jets. Thanks again!

3pointlanding
17th Nov 2010, 18:34
Since you are looking at next year anyway you might want to hang until a better carrier opens the hiring gate, such as FedEx. Better pay, better management, better contract, better maintenance, and definitely a better union. the hiring is coming, it is just a matter of when. The downside is that there will be a lot of competition for the slots.

cf680c2b
2nd Apr 2011, 22:58
I see on APC that the following bases are currently offered:

-400:
ANC
LAX
MIA
JFK
IAH
HSV

Do new hires get assigned or do they get to pick?

which are the most senior to junior?

is Mia primarily a south American hub?

Thanks Guys!

zerozero
3rd Apr 2011, 17:30
I'm not sure how new hire bases are assigned but I'm *guessing* they place bids and since they all have the same hire date it will then go by age, oldest having "seniority" in this case.

Lately it seems JFK and HSV have been the junior bases but I believe all of the bases have received some new hire, some just a few.

MIA sees most of the S. American flying but the key word in AAWH is "WORLDWIDE".

Don't expect to fly exclusively in S. America if you're MIA based; or Europe if you're JFK based; or Asia if you're ANC based.

In fact, don't expect ANYTHING!
:}

cf680c2b
3rd Apr 2011, 23:40
Understood :ok:

1 more:

can you break up the 17 days? if so, how does it break, 2 x 8days/9days, then how many days off? is that senior?

zerozero
4th Apr 2011, 12:06
Sure, you just bid for the shorter trips....in theory.

In reality, bidding for trips is mostly an exercise in futility.

I bid for the DAYS OFF I want as Number One. And then look for "trips" that fit the days I want to work.

Understand this is NOT a scheduled airline. This is a charter airline. So publishing a "schedule" for a "base" is a pure work of FICTION.

The sooner you can accept this reality the less frustrated you'll be when you see the difference between what you fly and what you bid.

Good luck. Start practicing Zen meditation now. Find your happy place and "go there" before you look at your published "award".

:8

flysd
17th Apr 2011, 05:44
I am trying to confirm the following:
One is typically out for 17 days and the remaining off at home?

MIGHTY 8
17th Apr 2011, 09:35
That's about right....

then again, some guys elect to stay in Wanchai and never quite get to the "home" part!

flysd
17th Apr 2011, 16:48
Do Atlas pilots get some kind of travel benefit, specially ZED/ID agreements?

Popgun
18th Apr 2011, 06:59
No, Atlas doesn't get to participate in Zed fares. You can jumpseat...and thats about it.

PG

Fr8Dog
19th Apr 2011, 14:53
From Popgun No, Atlas doesn't get to participate in Zed fares. You can jumpseat...and thats about it.

Atlas has deals with Delta, $280 RT, and Virgin ID75.

flysd
21st Apr 2011, 01:19
Are direct family members included in these benefits? (wive, parents)
What kind of deal is it with Delta?
Thanks!

Bus Junkie
25th Apr 2011, 06:43
I understand the days away, but I'm curious about how many pay hours you average each month. Obviously it varies but what would be a reasonable expectation for a new hire and say a 5 year FO?

Talon757
26th Apr 2011, 14:08
I've just finished my first year and I can tell you that in all but two of the past 12 months I have been well into overtime. The first year guarantee is 50 hours but you can usually expect 60 to 70 and in some months more. This is because at this point you are cheap labor. It costs them less to pay you overtime than to pay a more senior pilot overtime. After the first year the guarantee is 62 hours. This month I beat that by 23 hours.

As to the five year F/O I have no idea. I suspect the overtime may be somewhat less but the pay scale probably makes up for that somewhat.

Bus Junkie
26th Apr 2011, 18:47
Thanks for the info Talon.

MarkerInbound
27th Apr 2011, 08:48
Like everything else at Atlas, it's going to vary. My first year I got 12 hours total over guarantee, I'm about to finish my second and unless something happens the last month I'll have a total of 5 hours over.

ElectricWhale
28th Apr 2011, 21:44
Marker,
With so little OT, are you looking for overtime or time off?
Big diff if you want it but can't get it or don't want it and have to take it.
Some guys have more time for the company/bank account and work hard to get OT, other guys want time at home and avoid it.
How is it at Atlas?
EW

Talon757
29th Apr 2011, 02:07
I think how you bid has a bearing as well as where one is based. JFK is probably the most eclectic of the bases; meaning that the flying is the most varied. This probably leads to more opportunity for things to be put into your schedule and therefore more opportunity for extra hours. Keep in mind that in this ACMI business the only reason one has a schedule is so there is something from which to deviate. What you print out before you leave home WILL fall apart eventually. That's OK and it makes the company able to rapidly respond to customer needs. As to the bidding, what seems to work for me is to just bid the days off all in one group where I want them and fill the other part of the month with all the trips that fit. When I'm on my 17 days of work it really doesn't matter which pairings show up as they will change anyway.

Atlas Shrugged
29th Apr 2011, 04:06
Atlas Air B747 (http://www.worldairroutes.com/Atlas.html)

MarkerInbound
29th Apr 2011, 08:22
I work my 17 days. I've had lines that were 90 hours when they were awarded and by the end of the month they've been cut in half. I can get the days I want using the same plan as Talon but as has been said, the actual flights may be nothing like you bid. Right now sitting 4 days followed by 6 hours of flying and then sitting another 2 days. I plan on guarantee, anything above is extra.

ElectricWhale
30th Apr 2011, 03:39
I understand this all changes significantly with the new contract.
Is this true?