PDA

View Full Version : industrial history - who's i/c?

wee dram
13th Nov 2010, 22:38
Wrong forum, perhaps, but here goes. I've been following the BA CC thing elsewhere, fascinated and amused, for the last 16 months.

Occasionally, there are allusions to the issue of authority on board, almost always reaffirming that the Capt.commands the entire a/c . Now I'm sure I can recall something of a challenge to that, which, I am surmising, came from the then newly-created Cabin Service Managers for BA's new 3-class service on the 747. (We're in the early-mid-70's here.)

But it wasn't an overt issue - indeed, everybody was very coy about it. I was in longhaul pilot crew control at the time, and just heard the odd terse but categorical reference, to the effect that the Capt. remains in total charge.

Could any of you older BA/BOAC pilots fill out the history a bit, if it happened. I'm asking because I suspect this frisson, coupled with the rapid rise in cabin crew numbers and therefore industrial clout at the time, helped to establish the combative, anti-everybody-but-us attitude seen coming from the BASSA side in the current correspondence.

Tks,

WD