PDA

View Full Version : Procedure Under Experimental Basis

B767-300
13th Nov 2010, 19:02
G'day,

If all of a sudden you find in your Jepp chart a VOR approach with a legend that reads. "CAUTION: PROCEDURE UNDER EXPERIMENTAL BASIS", what limitations apply?, any docs or references where I could find something about it? Thx!

Rgds.

Denti
14th Nov 2010, 00:27
Could you give us some information where and what you mean?

B767-300
14th Nov 2010, 13:07
Sure!, if you fly to, let's say HLLM/MJI, and you wanto to fly Jeppesen chart 23-2 (2 VOR Rwy 29), when you study your plate you find a "CAUTION: PROCEDURE UNDER EXPERIMENTAL BASIS." note, right in the middle of the chart. Do you just go ahead and shoot the approach?, do you consider any limitations in terms of nav aids, weather...?, why?, any documents or references where to look in order to make the right decision?

B767-300
14th Nov 2010, 15:44
I'm not so sure about the issue being a Jepp one, if you take a look at the ICAO charts derived from the respective AIPs you find the same legend. It appears to me to be something like "this procedure is on trial wait a while 'till it gets validated and proofs itself safe", just wondering if it could be used in the mean time and how...

Ndicho Moja
15th Nov 2010, 00:36
Not unlike the NOTAM common in SE Asia "(Navaid) ON TEST" or "AWAITING CALIBRATION".

Use at your own risk and if you do so make sure it is VMC day.

As already posted, facility yet to be calibrated/verified.

Slasher
15th Nov 2010, 05:52
Cant say Ive ever come across same 767 but what Moja said was very close to a Notice my prev mob put out. Cant find it but it went something like -

- Crew will not use published Altern Minima assoc with any plate marked UNDER EXPERIMENTAL BASIS/notam'd AWAITING CALIBRATION

- Crew will not use such aid as primary nav for runway approaches in IMC unless actual ceiling is published MDA + 1000ft/published VIS + 2000m (I think "CEILING REQUIRED" is a given anyway)

- Crew can use the published MA proc

- Crew will not use approach for intention of circling

- Crosscheck ATC with published HP over primary aid (if same as approach aid) and amend as/when necesary

Thats all I recall. If I can dig up the notice I'll post it here.

Can anyone find any Jepp ref about charts like this? I cant.