PDA

View Full Version : canberra flying

CathayBrat
13th Nov 2010, 17:43
Are there any still flying? In a civil way? The old man is coming up to a certain milestone in his age, and has expressed a desire to have "one last go" in the chariot of his youth. He flew with 45 sqn out of tengah 65-68, and we would like to give him his desire, but the stories he tells, i would be surprised if any are still flying on a civil reg, but you never know. So i appeal to the wise chaps of PPrune, gogo had a few things, but better to get it from the horses mouth, so to speak.
Cheers
CB

Jig Peter
13th Nov 2010, 17:57
Sorry, but unable to help you in your search but as a contemporary of your father's in the Flying Camel business, may I wish you success - maybe a Target tug at Tarrant Rushton could still be plying the skylanes?
Whatever ... I wish him a continued spirited retirement (as I am too, incidentally), and a very happy celebration on reaching his "magic number". :ok::ok:
Regards,
JP

Linedog
13th Nov 2010, 17:59
I may be mistaken, but I thought 3 or 4 were purchased and operated out of Kemble.

GeeRam
13th Nov 2010, 18:55
Currently there are no airworthy Canberra's in the UK, although the ex-RAF PR.9's at Kemble have the potential to be returned to the air. The only civvie Canberra on the UK reg for some time was the ex-Scorpion rocket record holder WK163 based at Coventry, but they had an engine problem a few years back and were trying to source a replacement. I believe, they had found one in the USA earlier this year, but I'm not aware of it having taken to the air again as yet.

There are a couple of ex-RAF a/c on the US civil register that are used for photo-mapping work, and there is the ex-WJ680 B.2/TT18 that is owned and flown on a regular basis at the Temora Aviation Museum in Australia, who also now own and fly the famous Meteor F.8 VZ467 'Winston'.

BBadanov
13th Nov 2010, 20:03
ex-WJ680 B.2/TT18 that is owned and flown on a regular basis at the Temora Aviation Museum in Australia

Painted to resemble B.20 A84-234. It is currently having some down-time to undergo non-destructive testing, which may take 2 years.

Agaricus bisporus
14th Nov 2010, 01:02
And NASA who still operate a couple of somewhat modified Canberras in the guise of the WB57F.

helen-damnation
14th Nov 2010, 11:20
Saw 2 of the NASA aircraft in the hangar at Ellington airfield, Texas, just south east of Houston last month. You can see the Canberra pedigree although there are distinct visual differences.

PFR
14th Nov 2010, 12:23
CB,
Talk to Air Atlantique Classic Flight re the Canberra that GeeRam highlights at Coventry. The PR9's are at Kemble with Delta Jets in the countrified Cotswolds..

[url=http://www.classicflight.com]

Hope that helps, PFR.

Captain Sand Dune
14th Nov 2010, 20:25
There's an ex-RAAF one flying at the museum in Temora, Victoria, Oz.
Have a look at Aviation Museum Temora NSW Australia (http://www.aviationmuseum.com.au/museum/)

BBadanov
14th Nov 2010, 22:17
There's an ex-RAAF one flying at the museum in Temora, Victoria, Oz.

Capt SD - plz see my 14 NOV post above, it is not ex-RAAF, but ex-RAF. Also Temora is NSW, not Vic. :ugh:
Boris

Samuel
15th Nov 2010, 02:07
The Temora Canberra is, as far as I'm aware, the only one flying, though not at the moment. I haven't heard of them offering spare seats.

I saw the Meteor flying at the Avalon [Melbourne] Air Show a few years ago while with my son [the real Samuel] who is very much the total aviation person. Our reactions were quite different, I'd seen many Meteors in the air,and he hadn't, and to him it sounded "a bit odd", whereas to me it was sheer music!

I was with 14 Sqn RNZAF[Canberra B12] on the other side of the pan to 45 at Tengah 1966. The after match functions were always good!:ok:

BBadanov
15th Nov 2010, 02:15
One ex-RAAF B.20 A84-229 did go to the USA in the 1980s. It was operated by a Yank called Steve someone, registered N229CA. I believe that he subsequently sold it, doubt that it is still airworthy.

GeeRam
15th Nov 2010, 09:44
One ex-RAAF B.20 A84-229 did go to the USA in the 1980s. It was operated by a Yank called Steve someone, registered N229CA. I believe that he subsequently sold it, doubt that it is still airworthy.

Steve Picatti....... and yes it appears to have been sold to Jack Stringer at Palo Alto, Ca around 1997, but it's current status is unknown, so, as you say very likely it's not flown for maybe 10 years or more....?

It would also appear that the two ex-RAE Canberra's (XH567 & WT327) that were being operated in the USA by Air Platforms Inc on high altitude research work may also now no longer be airworthy, as Air Platforms Inc is now a dissolved corporation, so status unknown should be applied to these two airframes now as well.
That's maybe then the source of where Air Altlantique Classic flight have acquired a spare engine from for WK163...?

So, with the Coventry and Temora examples currently un-airworthy and unknown status for the other known civvie examples, it would seem only the two much modified NASA RB-57's are the only active examples of the breed.

goudie
15th Nov 2010, 09:52
One ex-RAAF B.20 A84-229I saw it at Redding municipal airport Ca. three years ago. It had been the subject of a legal/financial tangle but was eventually bought by a couple of guys, who hoped to restore it. It was in a sorry condition and they had very little money for the project.

NutherA2
15th Nov 2010, 11:00
Recently someone suggested to me that a B57 variant was quoted as reaching altitude and mach number values which seemed to me to be quite ridiculous. Has anyone come across any authentic information as to maxima achieved by any Canberra/B57, confirmed or rumoured?:confused::confused::confused:

BigDan
15th Nov 2010, 16:52
Out of the three Pr.9's at Kemble (Cotswold Airport for the corporate ones of you out there) Only on has the otential to fly. XH131 is in the process of being dismantled before moving to the Ulster Aviation Museum. 135 was last i heard being used as a spares source for 134 (the special tailed one).
I'm sorry but I don't know the situation regarding how far from or whether 134 will fly or not. She certainly does get the occasional engine runs.

Clipped Wings
16th Nov 2010, 10:26
Whilst I cannot offer any advice on the likelyhood of the Air Atlantique Canberra flying again, I can advise you that 'Classic Flight' (that part of AA that operates the Canberra etc) is closed for the winter. I will advise any change as soon as I hear, unless the Classic Flight Ops manager posts something otherwise on here.

CathayBrat
16th Nov 2010, 11:17
Thanks for that info, but have a question. Dad is convinced that it cant get CAA authority to fly, due to the VMCA problem, rotate at 125kts, vmca is 165kts! He may be a bit out of touch, maybe it was his model that did that. PN, dad remembers the chaps you mentioned, he has lots of other dits as well, something to do with piano's and thunderflash's and rickshaws! Samuel, dad quit rugby after playing against you lot, something to do with a nav who had bottle end glasses, due to a kick in the head during a game on the Tarmac like playing field.

Jig Peter
16th Nov 2010, 14:15
On the B.15 - and your Dad will remember this - the Wing Clear switch just forward of the throttles (and nicely within middle finger rapid-jabbing distance) did just what was wanted -everything fell off the wing (not the engines, for you purists) and Vmca came straight back to IIRC 125 kts, just like the B.2/B.4. Made life a lot more comfortable, but of course the H&S Authorities might still get a touch of the trembles these cautious days.
Anyway - Many Happies to your paternal relative.

JP

27mm
16th Nov 2010, 14:21
Interesting, 'cos when I flew the mighty E15 on 98 Sqn at Cottesmore, Vr was 125 and Safety speed was still 165, even though we had no stores other than tip tanks.

CathayBrat
16th Nov 2010, 14:43
Jig peter, from my source, the switch was wire locked and just out of reach, and never worked as advertised. And he says that with stuff on, vmca was 185kts, and if you got the switch to work (rare), it still came back to 165kts, just as 27mm says. So how does the plane manage to fly with a civil reg? Am not knocking it, was a great plane, but a 40kt diff! V worrying for the nav's, if no one else!

Jig Peter
16th Nov 2010, 14:53
Your source's memory just confirms how innocent a young lad I woz - me Navs & I really, really believed the thing would work! How surprised (but not for long ...) we'd have been if I'd had to try to use it (wiv one leg at full stretch, like in the Meteor, too!).
And also how much I don't remember now that I've been a civilian for more than twice as long as I woz a driver airframe ...
Bestest 2 all

:8:8

Pontius Navigator
16th Nov 2010, 14:54
Wing Clear switch just forward of the throttles (and nicely within middle finger rapid-jabbing distance) did just what was wanted -everything fell off the wing . . . Made life a lot more comfortable, but of course the H&S Authorities might still get a touch of the trembles these cautious days.

Yes, like they wouldn't mind uncontrolled bits dropping off hither and thither.

CathayBrat
16th Nov 2010, 15:03
Jig Peter,
He says the only thing that worried him about flying the canberra was the fact that his 2 navs were married with children, where as he was not, and if he ballsed up, well, you get the idea. PN, having lunch with my gdftr on sun, must be from your part of the world, flew V's and glows in the dark! And dont all mil aircraft have uncontrolled bits dropping off hither and thither

Jig Peter
16th Nov 2010, 16:27
Well ecksherly the bits wot drop orf are supposed only to do so when told to, innit ?
By the end of my Flying Camel tour, I'd also joined the married with child throng (just one then, but one more to come as we celebrated being civilians again), but I agree anyway about taking care for the two guys in the back (or one in the back and 'tother doing his stuff lying down up front) - they were both very good at tactfully letting me know I was headed down cock-up alley ... My (smallish) worry when Camel-driving was if, on a 4-ship tactical take-off, my No.2 had an engine failure on the side nearest me & me lads ...

1) The wing clear switch - funny how things one's sure one remembers turn out to be things that one doesn't really ... Could it be the long-delayed after-effect of too much Tiger (or Anchor) ?
2) If not actually civil registered, isn't there a let-out for "veteran" military aircraft as far as certain "dangerous" characterisitics are concerned?
3) I seem to remember a thread on Pprune about problems people had in getting starter cartridges for Canberras anyway - and as for Avpin for the later Marks, weeeeell ... I suspect that getting a Canberra airborne again would be full of pitfalls apart from the Regs bit ...

Sometilmes I too would like to be young & 30-ish again, but then I'd miss lots of good things that happened in the next half-century(ish) ... memories are good (even if distorted through the bottom of a beer glass, darkly ...)

Pontius Navigator
16th Nov 2010, 16:55
cathabrat, And dont all mil aircraft have
uncontrolled bits dropping off hither and thither

Quite, but since in its civilian guise it would operate from civilian airfields then it potential for going clean wing is rather greater than an Airbus A380 or a 747.

A2QFI
16th Nov 2010, 19:26
The Bruntingthorpe Lightning team get AVPIN from somewhere for their activities! At what cost I do not know; who makes it and what else is it used for these days?

JEM60
16th Nov 2010, 19:45
Surprisingly, the two WB57Fs have both operated out of Mildenhall, Suffolk in the last couple of years, doing air sampling over East Anglia before going down to southern Europe, then staging back through Mildenhall.
On arrival from US they tend to stay for a few days, and fly missions during those days.
I guess more information would be obtained as to likely visits from Spotter Sites like Fighter Control, where these visits cause [quite rightly] considerable interest. I have video'ed both aircraft flying out of and into Mildenhall.

GeeRam
16th Nov 2010, 19:48
Thanks for that info, but have a question. Dad is convinced that it cant get CAA authority to fly, due to the VMCA problem, rotate at 125kts, vmca is 165kts!

Here's a photo of Air Atlantique's record breaking WK163 (G-BVWC) flying at Duxford a few years back in 2007.....proof that it indeed has a CAA Permit to Fly.
The only reason that it isn't currently flying is as I mentioned before due to an engine issue and the problems of sourcing a replacement.

http://cdn-www.airliners.net/aviation-photos/middle/7/3/0/1233037.jpg

The Canberra operated in Australia was also flown in civvie hands on the display circuit for a number of years before being sold to Temora.

GeeRam
16th Nov 2010, 19:51
The Bruntingthorpe Lightning team get AVPIN from somewhere for their activities! At what cost I do not know; who makes it and what else is it used for these days?

IIRC AVPIN is no longer manufactured by anyone anymore..........:confused:

Samuel
16th Nov 2010, 20:10
IIRC AVPIN is no longer manufactured by anyone anymore..........

That will be a relief...:D

LowObservable
16th Nov 2010, 20:13
You can see the Canberra pedigree although there are distinct visual differences.

No s**t. http://www.letectvi.cz/src/letectvi/img/news/kosmo/2003/10/wb57.jpg

Wokkafans
16th Nov 2010, 20:22
GeeRam/Samuel - you can always buy/make your own :eek:

Isopropyl nitrate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_nitrate)

A few good stories on its non-official uses here: About Avpin, used to start the Hunter on No 1 Squadron, The Rhodesian Air Force (http://www.rhodesianforces.org/No1sqnavpin.html) :ok:

Belle and Sebastian
16th Nov 2010, 20:49
Up until the demise of 39 Sqn a few years ago (when they had organic ballast!) the AVPIN we got was made by the chinese and sold to India. We got it from India because we weren't allowed to get it directly from China. Both of those countries use AVPIN in their diesel engined cars because the diesel is/was so poor.

The Navy use AVPIN as a booster in some of their missiles - not sure which one but I'm sure a matelot will tell us.

LowObservable
17th Nov 2010, 13:12
Avpin sounds less lethal than hydrazine...

Jig Peter
17th Nov 2010, 14:51
Here again I may be "misremembering", but I think the "clean wing" switch was only fitted to Canberras which could carry underwing stores, such as rocket pods, which it would cause to drop orf but the tip-tanks would remain in place.
Thus a restored Canberra for displays wouldn't have underwing stores, so things wouldn't drop orf at random ...

GreenKnight121
17th Nov 2010, 20:11
Recently someone suggested to me that a B57 variant was quoted as reaching altitude and mach number values which seemed to me to be quite ridiculous. Has anyone come across any authentic information as to maxima achieved by any Canberra/B57, confirmed or rumoured?

[1.0] British Canberras (http://www.vectorsite.net/avcanbra_1.html#m2)
ENGLISH ELECTRIC CANBERRA B.2:
specification: english

wingspan: 63 feet 11 inches
wing area: 960 sq_feet
length: 65 feet 6 inches
height: 15 feet 7 inches
empty weight: 22,200 pounds
max loaded weight: 46,000 pounds
maximum speed: 570 MPH / 495 KT
service ceiling: 48,000 feet
range (no tanks): 2,656 MI / 2,310 NMI
ENGLISH ELECTRIC CANBERRA PR.9
[1.0] British Canberras (http://www.vectorsite.net/avcanbra_1.html#m4)
The PR variants had a forward fuselage stretch of 14", for a total length of 66 feet 8 inches.

The PR9 had a new, "high altitude" wing, with a "stretch" of 3 feet 10 inches, for a total span of 67 feet 9 inches.
It also had Avon RA.24 engines, which could provide 50.1 kN (5,110 kgp / 11,240 lbf) thrust, 73% more than the Avon 101 / RA.3 {28.9 kN (2,950 kgp / 6,500 lbf)} of the B.2 and 50% more than the Avon 109 / RA.7 {33.5 kN (3,410 kgp / 7,500 lbf)} of the B.6.

This gave an absolute maximum altitude of 60,000 feet.

B-57B:
Factsheets : Martin B-57B ?Night Intruder? (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2679)
TECHNICAL NOTES:
Armament: Eight .50-cal. M3 machine guns or four 20mm M39 cannons and approximately 6,000 lbs. of internal and external stores (5-in. HVAR rockets, 2.75 in. FFAR rockets and various numbers and sizes of iron bombs in the bomb bay or mounted on under wing pylons)
Engines: Two Wright J65-W-5 turbojets of 7,200 lbs. static thrust each (Wright J65 was U.S.-built version of the Armstrong Siddeley "Sapphire")
Maximum speed: 600 mph at 45,000 ft.
Cruising speed: 530 mph
Combat radius: Approx. 950 miles
Range: Approx. 2,700 miles maximum ferry range
Service ceiling: 48,000 ft.
Span: 64 ft. 0 in. (without tip tanks)
Length: 65 ft. 6 in.
Height: 15 ft. 7 in.
Weight: 55,000 lbs. maximum takeoff weight
Crew: Two (pilot and engineer-navigator-bombardier)
Serial numbers: 52-1493 to 52-1594; 53-3859 to 53-3935; 53-3937 to 53-3949; 52-3941 to 3943; 53-3945 to 53-3947; 53-3949 to 53-3962

RB-57F/WB-57F:
Factsheets : General Dynamics WB-57F (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2739)
TECHNICAL NOTES:
Armament: None (although the bomb bay could be converted to carry bombs if necessary)
Engines: Two Pratt & Whitney TF33-P-11 turbofans of 16,000 lbs. static thrust each, plus two (removable) Pratt & Whitney J60-P-9 turbojets of 3,300 lbs. static thrust each
Maximum speed: 550 mph / 475 knots
Range: 4,000 miles / 3475 nautical miles
Service ceiling: 82,000 ft.
Span: 122 ft. 5 in.
Length: 68 ft. 10 in.
Height: 19 ft. 0 in.
Crew: Two (pilot and navigator-observer)
Serial numbers (RB-57F): 63-13286 to 63-13302; 63-13500 to 63-13503

Note the near doubling of the wingspan in the RB-57F/WB-57F, as well as the very powerful engines. Those are the reasons for its extreme altitude capability.

NutherA2
17th Nov 2010, 22:02
Thanks for that, GK121 The service ceiling given for the B-57F is very impressive, but is still some 22,000’ less than the altitude suggested by my correspondent. He also “quoted” an unnamed American as reporting he’d flown a “Canberra” supersonic. I did say the suggestions were ridiculous.

GreenKnight121
18th Nov 2010, 00:08
I suppose someone might have been able to get a Canberra supersonic in a steep full-power dive... for a brief time... and either the aircraft would have been scrapped after landing or it became scrap during impact (and after the aircrew ejected)!

The altitude is simply not credible at all.

Or perhaps he meant B-58, not B-57.
Convair B-58 Hustler - USA (http://www.aviation-history.com/convair/b58.html)
But even this beast only achieved a one-time altitude record of 85,360 ft (26,017 m)!

LowObservable
18th Nov 2010, 10:56
82,000 feet in a WB-57F? In an official AF document, no less.

Is that better than the U-2? I thought that the Compass Arrow drone at 81,000 feet was the subsonic, jet, unofficial record holder for sustained altitude.

Jig Peter
18th Nov 2010, 14:33
Although the difference between the Canberra's lift-off and safety speeds seems large to modern eyes (though on take-off you were through it in a very short while), and seeing that it was a 1945 spec. and entered service in 1952, I just wondered what the similar speeds were on aircraft it replaced, such as the Mosquito and Hornet. What seems "a bit dodgy" to later generations may not have been our predecessors - and even the "oldies" of the '60s ...
Just a thought, and sorry for the thread drift.

PS In any case, the "gap" was just one of the Characteristics and/or Limitations one took due notice of and (in general) observed with no particular "Blurdy 'Eck" reaction ...

27mm
18th Nov 2010, 14:40
Good question, would like to see the Beau and the Wellington added to your list.

Jig Peter
18th Nov 2010, 16:24
Have to be a bit careful if we go into earlier aircrafts' potential sideways motion "under certain circumstances" though, or this whole thread'll get shoved into the "Hysterics and Neuralgia" section ...:confused:

PS And wattabaht the Brigand, leaky pneumatics and all? :eek:

NutherA2
18th Nov 2010, 18:23
IIRC safety speed for a Meteor 8 carrying ventral and wing tanks was 165kias, I can't remember what the lift off speed was in this configuration, but there was certainly a significant awkward difference.

GreenKnight121
18th Nov 2010, 23:16
LO... the U-2A/C had a listed service ceiling of 70,000 feet.

The improved (larger) U-2R (later re-engined as U-2S) has a higher ceiling... how much higher is classified. Note the listing here:
Factsheets : U-2S/TU-2S (http://www.af.mil/information/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=129)
Ceiling: Above 70,000 feet (21,212+ meters)

scorpion63
19th Nov 2010, 08:16
WK163 and before that XH568 have been flown very successfully on the airshow circuit since 1995 with no problems what so ever, in fact over that period we lost only 3 shows to unserviceability and with an average of 32 shows per annum that's not a bad record for a fifty year old aeroplane.
Regarding speeds we operate at 130 knots unstick and 175 knots safety speed, at light weight the aircraft will accelerate to 175 from 130 with very little power applied, slowing it down is the problem!!
Biggest problem on take off is EMBS and stop speed, at higher weights on a short runway the choices between running out of runway or burning the brakes out if things go wrong can be interesting. Basic weight of WK163 is 24,500 so with 8000lbs of fuel, say 32500lbs, take off weight on a flat dry runway of 8000ft/+15c/ 1013MB with no wind gives an EMBS of 130kts and a stop speed of about 148kts. However if weight is increased to 45,000lbs and the runway reduced to 6000ft in the same conditions EMBS becomes 108kts and stop is 118kts, so the gap between being able to stop and being able to get airborne is a lot bigger.

Wander00
19th Nov 2010, 09:04
Blimey, safety speed and crit speeds. Remember following the Old and New Bedford Rivers across the fens at 200ft doing the crit speed exercise from Bassingbourn.

lpmunroh43
25th Jan 2011, 07:53
I'm a former RAF armourer 1957-1980. My first op. unit after trade training was at RAF Binbrook, part of which was in ASF servicing the Canberra's of 9,12 and 139 squadrons.

From there, after only one years operational experience, I was detatched to No.14 Sqn. RNZAF who were collecting their shiny, factory fresh Canberra B12s. My job was to do some mods. on the bomb beam and fuzing units plus general second line servicing. All of this as an SAC Arm. Mech.(Bombs.)

In the mid-1960s, while on the Javelin OCU at Leuchars, finally got a trip in one. We had T11s to train the baby navigators in the mysteries of AI. Perched on the Rumbold seat, complete with chest 'chute, I spent a wonderful hour or so chuntering around Scotland.

Was also at Marham for the disbandment of 39 Sqn. That final low level pass over the hangar and then spiralling up into the mid-day sun was a fitting farewell to a great aircraft.

My wife's late first husband, Dick Hayward flew Canberra's with 10 Sqn. before going onto Valiants.

waveskimmer
25th Jan 2011, 10:50
Thunder city,Capetown I think they may operate one,if not bet they know anyone who does:ok:

A.D.
6th Nov 2011, 22:15
Google earth,Pisco airfield.Are they Canberras dotted about?

DavidGeorge
7th Nov 2011, 00:46
From [2.0] Canberra In Foreign Service (http://www.vectorsite.net/avcanbra_2.html) -

"Peru displayed a similar enthusiasm for the Canberra; the order history was even more elaborate:

The initial buy was for eight B(I).8 machines delivered in 1956:1957, all new-build, with four diverted from RAF contracts. A ninth new-build B(I).8 was obtained in 1960 as an attrition replacement
Six refurbished B.2s and two refurbished T.4s were delivered in 1966:1967. They were updated after delivery to the enhanced "T.72" and "T.74" standards respectively.
A total of six refurbished B.2s and B.6s, updated to an improved B(I).6 standard designated "B(I).56", was delivered in 1969.
A single refurbished B(I).8 was obtained in 1969 as an attrition replacement, being updated to "B(I).68" standard.
A single refurbished T.4 was obtained in 1973, with the machine upgraded to T.74 spec.
Eleven refurbished B(I).8 machines, upgraded to B(I).68 standard, were obtained in 1975:1978, with the refurbishment contracted out to Marshall of Cambridge.
In 1991, Peru also obtained one T.4 and five B(I).12 machines that had been retired from South African service."

Fliegenmong
7th Nov 2011, 08:44
Looking forward to the next Amberley show...

RAAF Amberley Airshow 2008 - YouTube

Some shots of the Temora Museuam Canbera bomber here, one is also a 'Gate Guard' at Amberley..

Was a great day!!!, hearing the Gloster Meteor 'Blue Note'....watching vampires & a Canberra fly....as well as teh last of teh Pigs!, and a Hudson! Great stuff...Looking forward to 2012?!?!....every 4 yrs ain't it, Amberley you do a great job! :ok:

Desert185
8th Nov 2011, 22:45
GreenKnight121: RB-57F/WB-57F:

Factsheets : General Dynamics WB-57F (http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=2739)

Quote:
TECHNICAL NOTES:
Service ceiling: 82,000 ft.

I can confirm NASA flights @ 55,000'. Don't know about 82,000'. I'll ask around.

Desert185
8th Nov 2011, 22:55
From the NASA WB-57 site:

Sea level to well above 60,000 feet.

LFFC
8th Nov 2011, 23:47
Canberra RAF Wyton - YouTube

Ahh - what fun! I loved the sound of a fast flypast!

Phortz
10th Nov 2011, 18:49
FAO 27mm

You say you spent time on 98 Sqn., at Cottesmore.

Have you any idea where Ken Wollford went to?

Much interested to find him as I have some very interesting info to relay.

Cheers aye,

Phortz

DucatiST4
11th Nov 2011, 07:37
At least one of the WB57F's is where I am at the moment. I was chatting to one of the pilots the other day and he told me that the max ceiling is at least as good at the U2's (although no figures were mentioned!!)
He gave me a patch as well:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g164/rockhopperst4/patch.jpg

EladElap
12th Nov 2011, 16:51
Any idea what the WB-57 is doing down at KAF? Been there for quite sometime, and seems to fly quite a bit.

DucatiST4
13th Nov 2011, 08:04
Yep, its been there for a while although I haven't seen it for a few days now. Geo survey work is what they doing as far as i know.

A2QFI
14th Nov 2011, 08:39
PR9 to 60,000 ft with some difficulty and not much scope for manoeuvre! Rpm for take-off limited to 90%, usually, as at 100% single engine safety speed was around 190 kts ISTR.

27mm
14th Nov 2011, 08:56
Hi Phortz, don't recall a Ken Wollford on 98, but he was probably before my time there; I was on it until disbandment. Sorry I can't help.

jedinein
20th May 2012, 18:39
Is the OP's Pop still interested in a ride or has that idea long passed? He'd have to be navigator, capable of turning the transponder on and off.

CathayBrat
21st May 2012, 08:19
Yup, he's still interested, but i'm not sure he would be able to clamber into the nav position, on 2 points. 1, he's now 70 yrs old, and not a nimble as he was, and 2, depending on which model it was, i'm not sure he would fit, as he is 6'4. However, always willing to give it a go.

thing
21st May 2012, 12:10
I'm sure the one at Coventry is waiting for a donk. Apparently they've found somewhere in the States that has mountains of spares. A pal at my flying club is the display pilot for it.

Jackonicko
21st May 2012, 12:16
I’d be very keen to get in touch with lpmunroh43, who wrote the following on 25 January last year (post number 48). Does anyone know him, or know where he might be contacted?

He has no post count, is labelled as 'guest' and there's no way of sending him a PM.

I'm a former RAF armourer 1957-1980. My first op. unit after trade training was at RAF Binbrook, part of which was in ASF servicing the Canberra's of 9,12 and 139 squadrons.

From there, after only one years operational experience, I was detatched to No.14 Sqn. RNZAF who were collecting their shiny, factory fresh Canberra B12s. My job was to do some mods. on the bomb beam and fuzing units plus general second line servicing. All of this as an SAC Arm. Mech.(Bombs.)

In the mid-1960s, while on the Javelin OCU at Leuchars, finally got a trip in one. We had T11s to train the baby navigators in the mysteries of AI. Perched on the Rumbold seat, complete with chest 'chute, I spent a wonderful hour or so chuntering around Scotland.

Was also at Marham for the disbandment of 39 Sqn. That final low level pass over the hangar and then spiralling up into the mid-day sun was a fitting farewell to a great aircraft.

My wife's late first husband, Dick Hayward flew Canberra's with 10 Sqn. before going onto Valiants.

LesleyP
22nd May 2012, 08:31
Hi - lpmunroh43 is Lesley, wife of Alan,said armourer (Javelins & Canberras) and widow of Dick Hayward (Canberras and V-Force). Which one of us would you like to natter to? I'm confused about all this as well!! Lesley

Jackonicko
24th May 2012, 13:38
I'd love to chat to Alan about his time at Binbrook, Lesley!

LesleyP
12th Jun 2012, 18:29
Hello - sorry for the delay (again!), we've been fleein' about the country on aviation things. Contact Alan on [email protected] and you can chat to your heart's content. Cheers Lesley:ok:

kwick
1st Jul 2016, 17:20
Hi to you all !!! I know this is a long time ago thread, but I am based in Peru and a colleague has just bought three Canberra aircraft form the Peruvian Air Force.
Maybe you know of anyone interested in doing something with them and/or the spares?
Please let me know, I will be travelling to Pisco tomorrow Saturday July 2, 2016 to take some photos of their current condition.

Valiantone
2nd Jul 2016, 13:15
Kwick, As we don't have a complete B(I).8 in the UK (see the post in the Canberra to the Sky thread) I Suspect someone would like an RAF jet

V1

kwick
3rd Jul 2016, 00:30
Hi V1,
I will have information as to which specific Canberra model is what my friend has bought, will post that information as soon as I have it available.
Thank you!

canberrasig
9th Jul 2016, 19:06
The max alt quoted in the NASA operators hand book is 65,000 ft. I know for sure another 10,000 on top of that is quite within it's capability and more depending on payload and fuel. The U.2/TR.1 may be able to get to a higher Alt but the WB/RB.57F has a much bigger payload.

John

canberrasig
9th Jul 2016, 19:14
Hi V1,
I will have information as to which specific Canberra model is what my friend has bought, will post that information as soon as I have it available.
Thank you!
I'd be interested to know which ones he's got his hands on. I'd all so be very interested in any photos if he wouldn't mind sharing them. I have an album on my site covering FAP Canberra's FAP Canberra's Fuerza Aerea del Peru - IPMS UK Canberra SIG (http://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=15386605) It would be good to add an update.

John