PDA

View Full Version : Training the Afghans - Not really...

professor moriarty
13th Nov 2010, 06:35
When I started to read this article I thought "good show", RAF training Afghan pilots, but reading on, it appears that all they are doing is playing football.

What a non-news story...RAF - News by Date (http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive.cfm?storyid=7FEF3920-5056-A318-A895BCACC7FBB77B&rss=true)

Sun Who
13th Nov 2010, 07:04
"The pair, who are awaiting their final own operational conversion training onto Puma and Merlin helicopters are part of the US-run Afghan Air Force English Immersion Lab, known as the Thunder Lab,"

Good grief.

Sun.

Cows getting bigger
13th Nov 2010, 07:19
Well that says it all. When Plt Off CGB held between courses it was a case of scouring DCIs for the most juicy AT course, lots of leave/stand-down, bumming trips to Akrotiri/Washington etc etc. Working? In a war zone? :eek: :O

kharmael
13th Nov 2010, 08:34
I believe both the lads were selected to go to Kabul with the sole job of teaching aviation biased English to the potential Afghan aviators.

A good opportunity to get amongst the culture and do some good but probably not the posting of choice for a pilot who's just got his wings and wants to do some real flying! ;)

davejb
13th Nov 2010, 17:13
Poor devils,
and they're probably too new (did I phrase that nicely or what?) to realise what a lousy job they've got!

Interesting idea though, to attempt to inculcate a degree of Britishness into the Afghan pilot corps, unfortunately the best you could expect from this is that the Afghan pilots will, in time, become alienated from their own people... it's FAR less likely that they will somehow rise to the point where they can persuade their countrymen to adopt planters dress after sundown, or develop a taste for outrageous cummerbunds.

I love America, frankly ( I spend part of each year there and have a number of very dear friends, our respective ideas and attitudes amuse both sides in turn*), whilst recognising we have big differences - but a US run 'blend in with the Brits' program must, surely, be the basis for a long running Fawlty Towers style sitcom.
Dave

* For example, I consider a barbecued 8 ounce NY Strip quite a lot on my plate, with salad and a baked spud, my neighbours seem to think it's an hors d'oevre :}

Stupidbutsaveable
13th Nov 2010, 18:44
Beats holding in the runway caravan as it used to be. Make the most of it fella's. I know you are being immersed in a different culture and it will broaden your mind and help throw off the blinkers from basic training.

PS If you're reading this and want to see the real Kabul feel free to PM me. Might even get you aloft in a Hip. Kicks the arse out of a Puma and gives a Merlin a run for it's money.:ok:

Pontius Navigator
13th Nov 2010, 18:47
* For example, I consider a barbecued 8 ounce NY Strip quite a lot on my plate, with salad and a baked spud, my neighbours seem to think it's an hors d'oevre :}

Or breakfast down under.