PDA

View Full Version : New Save RAF Marham Petition and Facebook page

Ronald Reagan
12th Nov 2010, 18:17
Hi everyone,
Two new things to join to save RAF Marham. If your currently serving I think you can get in trouble for joining. But anyone who is ex forces or simply wants to register their support can do so.
Neither of these are set up by myself but just saw them on Fighter Control:-

Suggest you go to the 10 downing street website and do an OFFICIAL petition addressed to the PM. It is legal and we will allow it. Other personal ones we will not allow.

Red Line Entry
12th Nov 2010, 19:12
Yep, that's just how I want the Government to decide how to spend my taxes. Let's not consider issues such as infrastructure, size of the estate, SFA, SLA, location for effective training, industrial implications, lodger units, simulator provision, runway provision, previous investment, airspace limitations etc etc etc

Let's just get people to vote on which station they prefer simply based on whatever half-arsed personal preferences they have.

Simon Cowell's work is done - we are a nation conditioned by The X Factor!

Training Risky
12th Nov 2010, 19:27
In the middle of nowhere.

No swimming pool.

No decent road links.

No village pub.

No petrol station.

No railway station.

Feral kids prowling the pads.

Best thing about the place (other than the food in the mess) is seeing it in the rear-view mirror as you begin the hour-long drive to the A11.

timex
12th Nov 2010, 19:28
So how many Tornado stations do you want to keep open, 1 for each Sqn?

Ronald Reagan
12th Nov 2010, 19:46
Would like to keep both Marham and Lossie open if possible! Only two stations, not a lot really! Considering we have no Jaguar, soon no Harriers, the idea they are making cuts to GR4 is disgusting! Not as if we have lots and lots of Typhoons (yet) to replace them, if thats even possible!

Will we ever get F-35 or will that just be another F-111 for the RAF!

Rakshasa
13th Nov 2010, 07:19
Moray is SNP
King's Lynn is Tory.

Hmmm....

Mr C Hinecap
13th Nov 2010, 07:59
Only two stations, not a lot really!

Depends what you are measuring doesn't it? 2 doesn't sound a lot if you don't think about the sheer cost of running each of them. Parochial petitions and people who 'think it wouldn't be very nice' to close bases are not usually part of the thought process - sorry.

Moi/
13th Nov 2010, 09:02
I think we should start a 'Close RAF Marham' facebook petition.

Its in the middle of no where, takes ages to get anywhere and has nothing good for it locally.

However,

I really think they should close Lossie, and Marham. Move the 40 GR4's into Leeming, there are 2x HAS sites to hold all 40 aircraft, and the 100 Sqn / AMF hangar for other things.

Its right on the A1, its been made into 3 lanes now, so good for all..

aw ditor
13th Nov 2010, 09:06
El Adem with grass!

edwardspannerhands
13th Nov 2010, 09:41
Plenty of Real Estate, unrestricted airspace, an AWR on it's doorstep (plus Garvie), it's own "micro-climate" versus RAF Sandringham. That's it then.....Lossiemouth goes.:ugh: Sure, the aircraft could move to Marham tommorrow, but until they invest in more Rubb Hangars (or something similar), they will be out in the elements 24 / 7 / 365. And then where do you billet the personnel and families? Schools? Medical / Dental services? Maybe the RAF Regiment could move out of Honington...............

Al R
13th Nov 2010, 10:05
Maybe the RAF Regiment could move out of Honington...............

But all those HAS are needed to store vehicles.

Anyway, talk already heard of Junior Regiment Officer Training being done with the army..?

PanMan69
13th Nov 2010, 15:32
Marham isn't even being considered for closure! The decision is between Leuchars, Lossiemouth, Wittering, Leeming and a couple of other lesser known places. Marham is a destraction in the debate.

edwardspannerhands
14th Nov 2010, 14:05
Marham isn't even being considered for closure!

Agreed. As I've stated previously, read RAF 'Sandringham' in place of 'Marham'. Also, given the not insignificant amount of investment by BAeS into the place adds to the reasons for it staying open as the Depth Hub for the TGRF.
Personally, I'd have two 'Tiffies' at Lossie on a rotating 'Q' Det with the rest of the Air Display Fleet centered at Coningsby. No need for Leuchars. Oh no, wait a second, I almost forgot about their Airships' golfing requirements. Couldn't possibly get rid of Leuchars. :rolleyes:

mrmrsmith
14th Nov 2010, 14:15
me with Moi/

I think we should start a 'Close RAF Marham' FacePPRuNe petition
sounds about right, just a RAF station surounded by swampies, closing it sound like the right thing to do,

Rigga
14th Nov 2010, 15:00
Have I missed some thing?

Has anyone actually said one of them is to close?

I seem to recall the facts as:

Some Tornado's are to go - big deal; I'll bet some are already laid up and waiting to be scrapped (but no closures announced)
Nimrod goes (But Station stays)
Harrier goes and Cottesmore continues to be closed (but not Witt)
New Astor thing goes (one trick pony bought for Army uses)
Old tranny fleets to be replaced by new tranny fleets

Now. How many 'closures' were mentioned?

Anyway, to join in with this Media-Stirred Fun-Vote - I've voted for Marham due to Jock support for "anyone else but England". That deserves some payback.

grandfer
14th Nov 2010, 16:19
I don't recall any national petitions or protestations (if that's the right word) on the closures of RAF Chivenor or RAF St. Mawgan when these 2 fine airfields were due for closure , so why should it be any diferent for RAF Marham . The local economies of north Devon & north Cornwall were both devastated by both their closures , never mind the loss of 2 fine RAF airfields which were a popular posting for most .:sad:

PPRuNe Pop
14th Nov 2010, 16:33
On second thoughts, until someone assesses the facts about the closure of any station PPRuNe is not going to be used by facebook, twitter or any other kind of personal arrangement.

Better get organised and know what needs to be done. Until then please do not start another thread on this subject - it will get closed - as this is.