PDA

View Full Version : Lockheed Electra Pics

Flyt3est
11th Nov 2010, 08:09
Guys,

I don't normally frequent this forum, so apolgies for the intrusion..

I used to work for Atlantic Airlines many years ago, and I recall one day seeing a photo of a Lockheed Electra, which wasn't operated by Atlantic I hasten to add, but anyway one of the outboard props had ripped itself off, and subsequently wiped out the inboard prop (Starboard side I believe), which in turn tore a slice out of the main fuselage.. Quite spectatcular damage.. anyway, the legend who was at the controls managed to get it down safely.

Does anyone recall this pic? Better still can anyone post it on here? I was talking to a young lad at work about it this morning and quite rightly the description of the damage sounds implausible, however I am sure my recollection is accurate and I'd like to share the pic with our young engineers.

Thanks in anticipation.

FT

Hamrah
11th Nov 2010, 08:56
If you are thinking of ASN Aircraft accident Lockheed L-188CF Electra N4465F Aruba-Reina Beatrix Airport (AUA) (http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19900714-1) incident , I have some photos I took at the time.

I'll see if I can dig them out and post them.

411A
11th Nov 2010, 08:58
See here (photos at the end)... http://www.aaiu.ie/upload/general/3973-0.pdf

Lockheed Electra, one tough 'ole bird.

Flyt3est
11th Nov 2010, 09:27
Hamrah - yes thats exactly the incident I had in mind :ok:

411a - Yes I recall that incident, it happened a few months before I joined Atlantic, as you say it's one tough plane, ably demonstrated when you read the events in Hamrah's link also.

Thanks guys.. The young lads thought I was exaggerating, so thanks for the info, looking forward to the pics Hamrah.

slowto280
11th Nov 2010, 09:49
Homer had his hands full with this outfit. A good buddy lost his life (and the lives of others too) in the TPI accident in Kansas City in 1985. 36th Street was a different beast then....... He must be long gone by now??

Lowrider2
12th Nov 2010, 00:36
I know the crew that was on 4465 in Aruba. They did a great job in getting the aircraft safely on the ground.
They had no brakes, really only one engine producing power and the control cables were rubbing on one of the prop blades that was stuck in the fuselage.

Cee of Gee
13th Nov 2010, 16:41
Flyt3est,
You could also be referring to the incident at SNN, involving N285F. Sounds very similar to your damage description. (Renown Aviation operating for Channex)
C o' G

411A
13th Nov 2010, 21:08
You could also be referring to the incident at SNN, involving N285F.
Already mentioned and referenced, Cee of Gee, you should actually pay attention....:ugh:

jettison valve
14th Nov 2010, 07:10
For the accident of N-285F in SNN, the report ends with

- The crew stated that this was an inexplicable oversight on their part.

SAFETY RECOMMENDATIONS
The report does not sustain any safety recommendation.

What has happened to the three flight crew members? Loss of license, re-training, tough talk with the chief pilot?
And what does an insurance say to a claim in such an issue?

I am out of my depth here, so any insight would be appreciated.

Cheers, J.V.

411A
14th Nov 2010, 14:24
What has happened to the three flight crew members? Loss of license, re-training, tough talk with the chief pilot?
And what does an insurance say to a claim in such an issue?

Ninety day license suspension for the Captain, as I recall.
The company folded a couple of years later.
Insurance underwriter paid.

jettison valve
14th Nov 2010, 15:21
Thanks, 411A!

During a recent trip in the US, I passed by P4-MED at TUS... reminded me of you, of course... :ok:
Most of my friends in HAECO loved the L1011; I havn^t had the joy (yet) to deal with this beauty...:{

Thanks again,
J.V.

Cee of Gee
14th Nov 2010, 17:14
411A,
Noted! :O
If memory serves, the F/O (great guy) never flew again??
I was part of the crew that picked up the next night's schedule, got the GHA to run us out the A/C to take photos - still speak to the Loady that was involved. I also flew with the operator for several years.
C o' G