PDA

View Full Version : How was it before JAR?

vore2008
10th Nov 2010, 19:03
Hi,

I was hoping someone could maybe explain how flight training worked before JAR came in. I understand the predecessor of modular training was something called self-improver? I would be interested to know what the steps were in this and how it differed from the current system.

Cheers,

Vore

PPRuNe Towers
10th Nov 2010, 19:22
The main headline difference was the time and money aspect.

700 hours needed for issue.

More to it than that obviously and for a while there were oddities like the BCPL but real life was 700 hours to be employable. Great fun it was too.

Rob

RichardH
10th Nov 2010, 19:47
Unless you did an approved CAP509 full-time integrated course. In which case I think 250 hours was the requirement. Most students were either partially or fully sponsored by the likes of BA, BMI, Aer Lingus etc. then came 9/11.

JAR like anything to do with our friends in Europe is a typical compromise and botch-up, of course the UK obeys the rules but elsewhere they get ignored. EASA is supposed to make this binding law. Hm? I don't I have a lot of faith.

The authorities had a opportunity to make a good job of the changes but screwed it up. One of the reasons that the JAA ATPL exams are so poor both in terms of English grammer "like wot I rite" and content is having too many cooks making the porridge.