PDA

View Full Version : Flight Training in New Zealand

WM2672
10th Nov 2010, 18:40
Hi there,

I'm a complete newbie having done only a few hrs towards PPL but have been put off training to CPL/ATPL by massive costs involved and so am looking into overseas options.

Does anyone know about training in New Zealand? Apparently they are very professional down there and have great flying conditions, also it is comparitively cheap and visa is not a problem for UK citizens.

Would appreciate feedback on anyone's experience of particular schools there - I have had one recommendation for Nelson Aviation College?

GusHoneybun
10th Nov 2010, 20:08
Been there, done that. A few points.

1) If you must pay up front, check that the school use an ESCROW (i think) account. It's basically a bank account that holds all you dosh, however, the school can only access the funds after you have flown. So if they go under, you're money is safe.
2) Sort your medical out before travelling out there. You can't do a Class 1 initial outside of NZ, however, there are a few AME's in the UK who do NZ renewals and they will be able to tell you whether or not you will have any problems getting an initial class 1.
3) Don't bank on trying to get work out there afterwards. A paying job in NZ is like rocking horse poop.
4) As you know, you'll need a visa to study there. However, if you are under 30, you're probably better to try and get a working visa for a year. This should allow you to study and also earn a few extra cents in the evening.

WM2672
10th Nov 2010, 20:42
Thanks GusHoneyBun for your advice - where did you actually train and how did you find it? To be honest I'm less concerned right now about the $$ and more about getting the right environment to train in (quality of instruction/equipment, instructor:student ratio, lifestyle etc). When I have selected the best school I will examine costs in more detail.

Luke SkyToddler
17th Nov 2010, 12:11
Bay Flight in Tauranga is my favourite school in NZ. Nice airfield, nice training environment, high instructing standards, CFI is a really decent guy, and what an absolutely fantastic city to live in while you're training :ok:

(Yes, I used to instruct there. No, I don't get any kickbacks from recommending it ... I do honestly think it's a great little school, and I love the city so much I just bought a house there :-).